Re: Racing seat question

Nothing to do with being too close to the roof. He broke his neck when he hit the wall and the foam donut did not control the mass of his head.
I played that to his ER doctor and the doc himself commented 'ooh, there's the moment it happened' as you see his head jerk.

The driver may have made it worse by pulling the belt release and landing on his head, but in his defense, the car was ON FIRE...

-Anton

mackwagon wrote:

Seat, seat mounting, seat back brace

Watch the Cavalier, turn left and slam the wall and flip onto its roof. Driver broke a vertebrae in his neck from being too close to the roof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2QTjjheyGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01Enj8zHTY

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

TheEngineer wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Just want to throw in Re: harnesses, NJ does accept FIA rated harnesses for 5 years.  That said our FIA rated harness cost $100 more than the standard SFI rated one.

You have that slightly backwards. They don't accept SFI only for 5 years, I think it's 3. FIA belts get the full 5.

SFI harnesses are 2 years in NJ.  FIA belts get 5 years, but cost noticeably more.  Thats what I wrote smile  Still worth it IMO.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

of course you can always sell your 2 year old sfi harness to people who don't race in NJ and recoupe some of the money back.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

RogueLeader wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Just want to throw in Re: harnesses, NJ does accept FIA rated harnesses for 5 years.  That said our FIA rated harness cost $100 more than the standard SFI rated one.

You have that slightly backwards. They don't accept SFI only for 5 years, I think it's 3. FIA belts get the full 5.

SFI harnesses are 2 years in NJ.  FIA belts get 5 years, but cost noticeably more.  Thats what I wrote smile  Still worth it IMO.

Lysdexia strikes again. I read your post as "NJ does NOT accept FIA rated harnesses for 5 years."

Sorry for that.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

BoB wrote:

of course you can always sell your 2 year old sfi harness to people who don't race in NJ and recoupe some of the money back.

Brilliant!!!! Also i'll get in line!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I use KirKey intermediate road race seat or Ultrashield. Seats about $350-450 and get a slider from m summit.

The aluminum style is go for car where you need  head clearance and the slider moves 6"

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

We also use a Kirkey Intermediate Road Race. I'm 6'4" with most of my height in the upper body, and the seat back is tall enough for me. It could perhaps use more padding on the butt, as it gets slightly uncomfortable after an hour or so for me. That being said, I could lose a few pounds as well...

BoB wrote:

Many dirt trackers in PA are thankful for this NJ law.

I prefer getting mine from drag racers.  Belts from those cars tend to look brand new.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

We had a Kirkey in PSR and leaning that way again for the new build. But SpaceFrank might have helped a lot since we have several (or mostly all) tall drivers.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

From a full halo perspective, is it safe to assume that a seat like the Recaro Pro Racer (non-SPA) would be fine? I agree that the full halo would provide superior side impact protection. But, boy is it pricey!

racinrob wrote:
BoB wrote:

Many dirt trackers in PA are thankful for this NJ law.

I prefer getting mine from drag racers.  Belts from those cars tend to look brand new.

My first harness for Lemons I was given for free from a friend who took it out of his drag car.  I think he only used it a couple times since the car spent most of the 2 years getting rebuilt in his garage.  As a bonus it was a camlock which I would never not get after having one.  I would think a Lemons team that keeps their car in a garage or covered would still have their belts in good shape too.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page