Re: Why do we keep throwing rods?

We used to have a lot of bottom end problems; a motor would only last about 6-7 hours before eating the bearings and subsequently flying apart. The most important thing for our bearing/rod problems was oil temperature. I was talking to a guy that used to work on a Mobil 1 race team and his magic temp number was 250, as in keep it below that or oil will experience dramatically accelerated degradation. The first time I put an oil temp gauge on the car we hit 250 in about 20 minutes on track, and that was with a small oil cooler. We had to do a couple of easy laps in 4th gear (CMP) before it would cool down enough to race again. Water temp never budged. Later I put a big-ass oil cooler on it and now it doesn't go over 230. Since we started using an oil cooler and monitoring our oil temps, we have not had rod or bearing problems.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

77 (edited by gunn 2014-07-01 10:46 AM)

DelinquentRacer wrote:
echosixmike wrote:

Another possibility is a torque wrench out of calibration.  S/F...Ken M

That is a very good possibility, especially for a "cheap" torque wrench.

I just replaced my HF torque wrenches with "real" ones... and I'm quite happy with what i bought.

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Instrum … B000KL59LY
http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDispl … REC2FR600H

These splitbeam torque wrenches can be left 'pre-set', click like a traditional clicker, and are much more easily adjusted. I spoke to these guys and apparently they are the oldest torque wrench manufacturer in the US. I first found them because MATCO has PI make their wrenches that they sell for $250-300/ea. Even though they don't sell directly to ToolTopia and ToolDiscounter, I did find out that they know exactly which distributor these two suppliers get their stock from so there will be no issues (allegedly) with any warranty claims.

For engine assembly, I use the inch-lb one which by my math is accurate from 16ft-lbs to 50ft-lbs. I only recently learned that my HF clicker was "probably" only accurate from 46ft-Lbs - 150ftlbs.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Parkwod60 wrote:

I also agree with the new old motor solution. And this motor we just blown up wasn't built by a pro. There was some machine work done, then Dave, who took the car from me last year built the motor and swapped it in. You can be damn sure he double checked everything when putting it together. Right now that free car he got is getting pretty expensive.      I triple checked the rods. I thought that was my last problem

Crazy Mike brought up several thing the other day when I talked to him. 1) Rods can and will grow with heat and revs, and just because you have enough clearance when checking a motor in the shop doesn't mean that at 5000rpm and 220 degrees doesn't mean a piston can't contact something. 2) Connecting rod side clearance. This is one I don't think we ever checked, we just assumed it was good enough for Ford, it'd be good enough with pistons and bearings.

Wow, out for my sons wedding and you guys are on it!     I have been at the Helm now for the Billy Beer Team, and yes $500 cars are #$%$# expensive.

Well, were do i start. We run 1 qt over, no accumulator, probably should widen the pan for more capacity, and cooling. the block was machined properly but the rods were not honed after ARP bolts installed and torqued. If that's what your saying, it does sound like that could be an issue. I must confess, this motor was tight at original start up.  I do have expensive tools, my torque wrench has been re calibrated about a year ago. The torque requirements on this motor are only 25 ft lbs if I remember correctly.

We get about 45 to 48psi on a cold start up and at race mode we get to a steady 35 psi on a mechanical gauge.

Woody is correct, that copper bearing was a 100K motor with a #5 rod out of the block. No scaulding or burn was noticed on the back of the bearings.

The Button Terrible Blow up last weekend was #6 rod, No teardown has taken place.  I blew up woodys motor and have been Known to make the "money down shift"  (i'm going to use that alot, the phrase not the action).   Like somebody said, we have no control, even a rev limiter wont work for that.....but I can energize the cool seat....Maybe....pain =longeveity

I did change oil after the 2 days of racing, it was fresh going into Button Terrible. I feel guilty about not changing after that first day on track.

Sometimes I think that if you make the little sewing machine push the semi truck around the track, that the sewing machine just might rebel. Go 460, and a ships anchor to slow us down on the corners.

Current, Captain, Driver, Mechanic, Idiot, Shop keeper, Sponsor, Accountant, Transport Driver, of Team Billy Beer Racing
I know there is money in racing.....Cause I put bunch in.
79' Ford Futura sporting a 200 ci six. 
Best finish:  placed 2 in "C" class about 44 overall. Sears Pointless 14',.

Is that 35 PSI at idle or at race rev's?  Per SAE, you want a minimum of 10 psi per 1k RPMs in order to maintain proper oiling.

Long shot, but to latch onto the torque wrench idea, many torque wrenches are very inaccurate at the lower end of their range.  If you're using a 100 lb-ft wrench to tighten a 25 lb-ft fastener, you may have accuracy issues.  Probably unlikely, but just figured I'd toss that out there.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

35 PSI is at race revs.  and yes the torque could be inaccurate at the lower end, I should get a smaller torque wrench and possibly an inch/pound unit.  I re read my post, and I was referring to the rod bolts if I wasn't clear.   

I think Ive learned allot of valuable information from the previous Posts.
I'm voting to Run a box stock 200 at ThunderHill in September, probably the better Head, cam, improved oil capacity, and a large cooler with temp gauge.

I can't do a engine teardown until early August.  I will promise to post more pictures If all of you will send your expert advice. 

What am I saying????   Well send what you think you know.

Current, Captain, Driver, Mechanic, Idiot, Shop keeper, Sponsor, Accountant, Transport Driver, of Team Billy Beer Racing

81 (edited by piper.gras 2014-07-01 11:28 AM)

Bay Area Dave wrote:

35 PSI is at race revs

That's worrisome.  I can't imagine keeping a motor together throughout an endurance race with pressure that low.  Getting that pressure up would be my #1 priority in keeping the motor together.  If you run the motor up to 5,000 RPM, you should have 50 PSI minimum.

*Edit*  If you add an oil cooler, you'll likely see some pressure drop due to head loss in the cooler/plumbing.  Seeing as you're already down at 35 PSI, you're going to want to do something to increase the oil pressure before you add a cooler.

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

Baron wrote:
echosixmike wrote:

Did he hone the rods when he went to the ARP bolts?  Because when you torque the good stuff to it's preload, it's a metric shitload more than the factory junk....

Now the rod end is out of round and you pinch the bearing and............

S/F.....Ken M

That's looking like a pretty good theory.

No, the bearing would have melted.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

SpaceFrank wrote:

Nothing against the LeMoneering community, but have you brought up these questions on a forum specific to the engine? Every engine has its quirks, and if the Ford Six community is anything like the Slant 6 community, there are a dozen crazy old bastards who have spent decades building that same engine for drag racing and boost. Those guys could probably help with a higher degree of precision.

+100

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

racerxr wrote:
Parkwod60 wrote:

...2) Manual transmission + engine braking = much more stress than running flat out all day with a C4 auto? The problem with this is The first motor backed with the stick lasted 3 race weekends, and 2 full races worth of laps...

You shouldn't be "engine braking".  All braking should be done with the brakes.  Rev match when you down shift to prevent upsetting the car while braking, and don't over-rev when you rev match.  I assume your gear box has some pretty widely spaced gears.  So, your team will need to be extra careful not to over rev when downshifting.

Modern brakes are much better than the engines to slow the car down. If you have Disk brakes up front, you should be using the brakes 100% to slow the car and not the engine. The only reason people used to downshift is cause old drum brakes are not very good.

long winded and wandering comments

After having lived through a bunch of blown up Honda D16A1 engines (1988 acura), I have these comments
Baffled oil pan or an accusump. This seemed to solve many of our rod bearing failures. Why? We too filled over by 1 quart also in a stock pan. Looking at our bearings after the races they showed no Babbitt material, and had a mottled appearance. This as I have learned is evidence of cavitation (bubbles in the oil which pop and strip the metal). So my guess was we were foaming the oil at some point in the lap and that would then lead to bearing failure. The baffled pan keeps the oil from sloshing so much and decreases foaming (?). Accusump provides oil when sloshing in long corners, and a place for the extra 1-3 quarts to reside normally so no foaming (??)

we could tell when the bearings were failing as the temp climbed fast, when otherwise it was stable at about 160F

Clogged up oil pick up. Have you looked at the oil pick up? do you use any RTV like sealant on the engine that could migrate into the oil pick up? RTV will soften at temp and then stick to the pick up screen, limiting oil flow. we had a problem when we tried to use Hylmar as a sealant for a copper head gasket. it clogged the oil pickup and the engine only lasted 5 laps.

The 225 Slant 6 in the 1972 Valiant had severe overheating problems in its first 3-4 races. we drove slower to keep the temps down. We probably suffered a rod bearing minor failure due to heat once. Engine temps as measured on the normal head temp gauge were in the 220F range and we would be boiling over. Was this due to block clogging from radiator sealants?? The rear block drain hole was clogged with some crap, implying the bottom of the block was filled with ~1" of stuff?

I added 2 temp gauges, one on the block and one on the head to watch those temps. A climbing block temp indicates an oiling problem which we saw when our oil pump drive gear was failing last Sept.  We stopped the car before the bearings failed, but still did some damage and the car would only run for about 20 minutes before it started knocking after we put in another oil pump.

For march we built a new engine.  The new replacement engine block was soaked a couple days with muriatic acid (from a pool store) in the cooling passages before assembly. So we think the inside of the block is clean. This plus a Jeep grand cherokee V8 Radiator now keeps the engine temps down to ~170-180 under hard racing 100% per lap. engine ran the full race with no issues and will hopefully run Sept with no issues. new engine runs 50 psi oil cold and hot. So 35 pSI seems problematic?? Bad Oil pumps? bad cam drive gears (our failure).

I drilled a tiny 1mm hole from the oil pump high pressure area, in through the block to oil the cam/pump drive gear.  That probably dropped the oil pressure 5-10 psi overall, but its oiling a known problem for the Slant 6 (talked to the expert Doug Dutra!)

Looking at the pictures of the rods, it looks like the rod is failing, not the bearing. I have fried rod bearings so bad it melted. This does not look melted.  there is minimal heating of the rod ends that I see.

!!!! Look closely at the fracture area of the breaks. which one (the rod center, or the big end pieces) has a clean virgin break vs some area that is polished by hammering. The hammering would indicated a failure that was happening over some time (might only be seconds).

if the rod breaks in the middle and the end swings around the surface of the break might look virgin, or might have been hammered by hitting the block (corners pounded?)

If the rod comes apart at the big end and then gets beat to death by the crank, and then fails the center of the rod, that might look different.

The fact that there are 4 pieces to the big end, implies to me that the rod end failed, but why?
thinking, thinking........

So Dave at the very least brand new oil pump (I honestly don't think we have ever bought a new one, unless you did on this motor). Either on the FordSix forums, or in the Falcon/Mustang book i would bet it says which pump delivers a higher pressure, or how to modify the spring for more pressure. Hopefully the cylinder head is okay, or can be cleaned up and reused. The cheapest non-smog motor cam we can get, which is likely to be a Comp Cams grind with a lot less duration than the Clay Smith options.

I always feel like e can splurge on a cam because when I built one of these the first time even the good bearings and internal parts were dirt cheap.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

piper.gras wrote:

Is that 35 PSI at idle or at race rev's?  Per SAE, you want a minimum of 10 psi per 1k RPMs in order to maintain proper oiling.

That is an old wives tale/rule of thumb.   Bearings just need flow. Pressure is an indication if you have enough flow.

woody, the pump in this last motor was from the newest donor engine. the internals to the older unit looked tight but, the latest one looked better.  the pickup in the older unit had debris, but that could be from me driving it back to the trailer over 1.5 miles on 4 of 6 cylinders. 

I'm sure there is something I can do to shim up pressure. Volume and cooling of oil should help intensely.

I have always been a fan of more gauges. Give me a oil, (in the pan), rear head temp, transmission, rear end.  The freaking gauges will be busting my budget.

I need data logger to feed real time information back to the pits cause we don't get by just looking ahead, we gotta watch our mirrors while the rest of you are passing us.

My oil pump clearance specs are in the service manual. I always check used oil pumps with feeler gauges before I use them.

If I need to raise pressure, I put washers under the bypass valve spring to shim it, although the last couple of pumps have been fine without modifying the bypass.. I also radius the inlet and outlet ports for better flow.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

One other procedure for oil pump prep is to lap the bottom plate, ideally on a surface plate.
Because the bottom plates are stamped they can get a bow in them and leave excessive clearance to the pump.
Usually, the pump clearance is checked without concern to the bottom plate.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Hmmm, I wonder now which motor the oil pump we were running came off of. As far as I can recall we've never bought a new one. That may be from the 100k mile motor we blew up at Chuckwalla, or it may be from the recently rebuilt thrown rod motor you blew up at Sears.

Reusing an oil pump off of a blown motor can be a risky proposition.  As the motor is in the process of 'splodin the pump will pick up any bits of busted motor that may have made their way into the oil.  Unless you completely disassemble and clean out the pump/pickup, it's best to trash them after they've been in a blown motor.  You don't want those broken metal bits going into your new engine.

Actually, you haven't thrown that many rods (by Lemons standards). You need a larger sample size.

Judge Phil wrote:

Actually, you haven't thrown that many rods (by Lemons standards). You need a larger sample size.

He's right. We did 2 motors and 3 turbos in one race, three times.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

You'll be happy to know I think a bone stock 200 from a 50k mile Fairmont in a wrecking yard is going in for Thuderhill

Woody, just printing our conversation last week-ish:

1. oiling is likely the culprit, yes.

2. an engine built with zero rod side clearance will have GOBS of oil pressure for the five minutes it runs before the rod bearings melt and mysteriously disappear
- rod side clearance (as long as you have good main and cam bearing clearance) is what predominately determines oil pressure for any given FLOW.
~note - oil pressure reading is just that latter, an indication the pump is holding flow rate for a given set of clearances~

3. Oil Flow is oil-cooling for: a) bearings b) pistons c) valve springs - designers importance mostly in that order.
- Oil flow is what you want in the rod bearing, for endurance/racing as long as the pump can maintain pressure (Too much flow in street cars scuffs the bearing or micro-abrades it like a water-jet cutter, so most OEM's are lower flow than we need for racing)

But 4. "Sliding" or "Hydraulic" bearings (most mains and rods) are "Dynamic" - to say that a thin film of oil separates the metal bits from directly touching, and in the rods this is a "captive pressure" system - so you DO need PRESSURE for the rod bearing to work as intended - this is where the ~10psi/1000rpm "wive's tale" comes from. There is SOME truth to it for a BUNCH of physics reasons. Modern cars use modern oils, so the math doesn't work the same, so we can't globally say that anymore... but for "old" design engines it's a pretty safe operating parameter (New cars work out between 2 and 10psi/1k, dependent upon myriad things, so...).
~So you are looking for goodappropriate flow AND proper (OEM Design) pressure~

5. I suspect that your rod clearances are too small.
    There's a formula for side-clearance vs bearing area vs pin-diameter/width plus intended rpm, but I have no idea what it is... My dad's old race-car guys, and the british-iron dudes' I know all tend to run about 2-3 thou more clearance than OEM/stock in order to get more oil flow - then they uprate the pump to meet the new needs of that more flow.
~I use the blow-it-up-and-change-it method, the Beetle has different needs than our iron inlines - the Mini likes to run 12-15 thou, 12 is OEM, 15 is high rpm race - with a cross-drilled crank (not all minis had x-drilled to start with) -- so there are parameters that your engine may have that I'm only second-guessing.
~~I think you need to open yours up from stock an additional 2-3 thou~~

6. If your engine is the longest stroke of the engine 'family' (I don't know Fords), then you may be suffering oil being centrifugally "pumped" out of the rods - this is an oil-galley inside the crank design problem for high-rpm engines. The cure has always been "Cross-Drill" the crank - it works. Many cranks have this done already. The alternate OEM/production-line cure is to tighten up the rod side-clearances, which results in lower flow, see about yadayada previously wanked about.

7. I could be wrong.
~as someone else said - check the inline-six drag racers groups or something - be always wary tho' - they don't go 7-9 hours straight~

As before, met me know what you find - hell, if it's even remotely an interesting drive I might be coerced into coming to see, in AUG when you get to tearing it apart.

~mike~

crazymike wrote:

But 4. "Sliding" or "Hydraulic" bearings (most mains and rods) are "Dynamic" - to say that a thin film of oil separates the metal bits from directly touching, and in the rods this is a "captive pressure" system - so you DO need PRESSURE for the rod bearing to work as intended - this is where the ~10psi/1000rpm "wive's tale" comes from. There is SOME truth to it for a BUNCH of physics reasons. Modern cars use modern oils, so the math doesn't work the same, so we can't globally say that anymore... but for "old" design engines it's a pretty safe operating parameter (New cars work out between 2 and 10psi/1k, dependent upon myriad things, so...).
~So you are looking for goodappropriate flow AND proper (OEM Design) pressure~

~mike~

You are confusing hyrdostatic and hydrodynamic lubrication.  Hydrostatic requires pressure.  This is what makes an air hockey table work.  In a  engine, the oil pump doesn't create enough pressure to counteract the crankshaft forces.

Crankshafts use hydrodynamic lubrication.  The rotation of the crankshaft creates its own internal pressure that separates the crankshaft from the bearing shell.  Doesn't require any outside pressure, just a supply of fluid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_bearing

98 (edited by jrbe 2014-07-03 02:10 PM)

Let's look at this a different way. Say there is 0 oil pressure and the oil is all pushed out of the rod bearing. The bearing will wear away and open up the clearance in the big end of the rod. The bearing will spin or will wear away. Where is the rod throwing part? Where's the link? The rod end will make horrible noises before it destroys the rod from too much clearance.

I didn't do out the math for your engine but I'd guess it has very short rods and a poor rod ratio. I still say the rod are failing from too much rpm. I really don't see how low oil pressure throws rods.
The rods in your engine have an obvious to me weak spot where the rod nut is. I'd say that's where the failure starts but I'd blame it on low rod ratio/too high of rpm for what they can handle.

http://ftlracing.com/rsratio.htm

One machine shop I used to use would bore the engine with it hanging off its mounts because the big American iron (weight) would distort the block a lot. If you had the pistons too tight you should see a lot of scuffing in the bores.

If it was detonation from too much timing or compression you'd see signs of detonation and the piston usually fails before the rod.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

BTW - Our 35psi of hot oil pressure minimum (I personally think we get close to 50psi at full revs) is measured from the oil galley at the back of the block, after the crank and cam has been fed. When you take that into account I think we have plenty.

Honestly we haven't a clue what happened to this just blowed up engine. It could be nothing at all like what happened to the earlier blowed up engines. It could be 4 totally different causes, it certainly seemed like at least 3 different ways to blow an engine. All I know for certain is that 1 motor went lean (loose carb) , and got hot and at the end of the drag strip at Buttonwillw at 4000-5000rpm all the rod bearings gave up. The next one was over-revved, plain and simple, because the automatic was left in 2nd instead of D and at somewhere north of 6000rpm the piston just came apart and put a huge hole in the cylinder wall. But that motor had all 6 rods intact. Which is why I'm pretty sure our 5000rpm red line is not what is causing the rods to fail.

I did mention side clearance to Dave who is putting the car back together. As far as rod side clearance I honestly know nothing about that. We aren't swapping rods between different blocks or anything. It can be assumed that all these motors already have 50k miles on the bottom end. Even with new bearings I wouldn't expect them to be too tight.

Explain more about the side clearance, and how to check/set it? You can email me if you don't wanna type is out here - parkwood60@yahoo.com

100 (edited by cdickman12 2014-07-05 07:34 AM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsqL7bho2No

40 second YouTube edumacation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ai7oxfRIlo Check Minute 7 of this one, it is better

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan