Re: Why do we keep throwing rods?

Parkwod60 wrote:

I did mention side clearance to Dave who is putting the car back together. As far as rod side clearance I honestly know nothing about that. We aren't swapping rods between different blocks or anything. It can be assumed that all these motors already have 50k miles on the bottom end. Even with new bearings I wouldn't expect them to be too tight.

Explain more about the side clearance, and how to check/set it? You can email me if you don't wanna type is out here - parkwood60@yahoo.com

Side clearance is a minor player inroad life. As long as it is close, shouldn't be a big deal.

You still need to get the engine apart before you make decisions on how to fix the problem...because you dont know what the problem is.  Inspect whats left of the piston, cylinder wall, and rod bearings...the problem will be obvious.

From:  http://www.classicinlines.com/buildasix.asp in regard to building the Ford 200...

Connecting Rods: The next item to cover in the short block, is the connecting rods. Most sixes came with forged steel connecting rods, with the exception of those produced from 1973 thru 1981. During those years Ford used a variety of materials, from cast steel, to cast iron, to nodular iron. In 1982, they switched back to forged steel rods once again. As such, the rod bolts are the weakest point in the bottom end, and they should always be replaced when rebuilding a motor. We recommend using ARP small block Ford (V8) rod bolts, for increased safety and strength, however they need to be installed by your machine shop as a small modification is required for fitment.

Shot Peening: While not required for the average street motor, shot peening is an option used to increase the fatigue life of a stock connecting rod. By compressing the surface layer of the connecting rod, the likely-hood of failure from fatigue, stress cracks, and/or corrosion is greatly reduced. Another common practice is to eliminate stress risers by de-burring the rods and grinding all edges to a smooth radius prior to shot peening.

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

All this science is unnecessary. Drop an IHC 345 in it, enjoy perpetual domination.

gump wrote:

From:  http://www.classicinlines.com/buildasix.asp in regard to building the Ford 200...

Connecting Rods: The next item to cover in the short block, is the connecting rods. Most sixes came with forged steel connecting rods, with the exception of those produced from 1973 thru 1981. During those years Ford used a variety of materials, from cast steel, to cast iron, to nodular iron. In 1982, they switched back to forged steel rods once again. As such, the rod bolts are the weakest point in the bottom end, and they should always be replaced when rebuilding a motor. We recommend using ARP small block Ford (V8) rod bolts, for increased safety and strength, however they need to be installed by your machine shop as a small modification is required for fitment.

Shot Peening: While not required for the average street motor, shot peening is an option used to increase the fatigue life of a stock connecting rod. By compressing the surface layer of the connecting rod, the likely-hood of failure from fatigue, stress cracks, and/or corrosion is greatly reduced. Another common practice is to eliminate stress risers by de-burring the rods and grinding all edges to a smooth radius prior to shot peening.

Shows what they know (BTW I have been all over their site and forums as we built and raced this, just not recently). The motor we just blew up had the best factory rods, and the ARP rod bolts, and it blew the quickest of any of them. The one that threw a rod at Sears Point (and tossed the cam through the block) was a 1977-80 motor with as far as I know stock bolts in it (lasted 4 race weekends), and not sure which type of Ford rods it had. The one motor that destroyed a piston and kept the rods intact was also a 1979 vintage bottom end with stock rod bolts, though I will say I know for sure that motor had cheap hypereutectic pistons in it, which I think are lighter than any of the other options.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

What is the small modification needed to install the ARP rod bolts? Is that making an even weaker spot for the rod to start to fail from?

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

jrbe wrote:

What is the small modification needed to install the ARP rod bolts? Is that making an even weaker spot for the rod to start to fail from?

The rod end likely has to be drilled a little or machined a little to accommodate the ?bigger? bolt or the bigger head or nut.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

The ARP bolts that were made for this, did not require mods to the Rods.  They seated all the way down and torqued out to the 25 lbs required

Current, Captain, Driver, Mechanic, Idiot, Shop keeper, Sponsor, Accountant, Transport Driver, of Team Billy Beer Racing
I know there is money in racing.....Cause I put bunch in.
79' Ford Futura sporting a 200 ci six. 
Best finish:  placed 2 in "C" class about 44 overall. Sears Pointless 14',.

Well I finally got the engine out and have made a humble opinion.

From what it looks like, the bottom of the piston broke first at the oil ring / wrist pin line. The energy from the break threw the piston up, impacted the head, and made a impression of the combustion chamber in the top of the piston. As I find the piston, it is wedged at 30deg. To its normal plane.   The rod ripped out the last cam segment, cancelling valve movement and avoiding damage to the valves (I think) although the piston was down about an inch on the high side and 1.5 on the low side. I believe it stopped due to being wedged without a skirt.

The rod swung around the rod journal at 4,000 rpm about 5" long with the wrist pin attached while the car was traveling forward.  It really went bad when the car, after going off track, and in gear,  staeted going backwards. I think the reverse action now forced this rod backwards and bent it in the arch you have seen.  At some point tossing or just breaking off the cap.

I cannot guess at what then wedged on only 1 side of the engine and the crank just came around and beat about a 1/8th inch deep notch at the oil port. Im not going to be able to buff that out

Block, crank, pan, cam shaft, 1 piston, and rod...destroyed, FUBAR!

Would love some input on what you see.
I will figure how to download pictures tomorrow!

Current, Captain, Driver, Mechanic, Idiot, Shop keeper, Sponsor, Accountant, Transport Driver, of Team Billy Beer Racing

Well I finally got the engine out and have made a humble opinion.
From what it looks like, the bottom of the piston broke first at the oil ring / wrist pin line. The energy from the break threw the piston up, impacted the head, and made a impression of the combustion chamber in the top of the piston. As I find the piston, it is wedged at 30deg. To its normal plane.   The rod ripped out the last cam segment, cancelling valve movement and avoiding damage to the valves (I think) although the piston was down about an inch on the high side and 1.5 on the low side. I believe it stopped due to being wedged without a skirt.

The rod swung around the rod journal at 4,000 rpm about 5" long with the wrist pin attached while the car was traveling forward.  It really went bad when the car, after going off track, and in gear,  staeted going backwards. I think the reverse action now forced this rod backwards and bent it in the arch you have seen.  At some point tossing or just breaking off the cap.

I cannot guess at what then wedged on only 1 side of the engine and the crank just came around and beat about a 1/8th inch deep notch at the oil port. Im not going to be able to buff that out

Block, crank, pan, cam shaft, 1 piston, and rod...destroyed, FUBAR!

Would love some input on what you see.

111 (edited by Team Infinniti 2014-09-08 04:24 AM)

Excluding any mechanical damage after the fact, what is the condition of the rod journal and bearing shell (once straightened out)?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Team Infinniti wrote:

Excluding any mechanical damage after the fact, what is the condition of the rod journal and bearing shell (once straightened out)?

The bearing surface is perfect,  except where the..cam or expelled rod was wedged in a fixed location and allowed the crank while spinning to peen and beat the journal and the crank just past the journal in just 1 spot.

How do I attach pictures?

fyremanbill wrote:

FYI, the rev limiter was set at 5000 and drivers were shifting at 4500-4700.  Oil pressure held steady thru the long sweeper and coolant temp stayed at 180.  There was a very noticable vibration above 4000 RPM that should not have been there.  Never heard any detonation but it was loud in the car. 

Look at the piston  on tear down.  Detonation will damage the piston top but usually not hurt the rod...it just loses compression.   
If the piston got hot enough to seize in the bore, it will pull the pin out and the rod swings around breaking stuff.  If aluminum is gaulded on the cylinder walls, that was it.
If its a lack of lubrication, the bearings will be wiped out and metal transfered to the crank.  If the crank journals are good, so's the oiling. 
If none of the above, it's a mechanical failure of the piston or the rod bolt.

It has to be piston failure then. I was using the silvo-lite hypruretic (sp) flat top pistons. The flat top design was only available from a group of 4 for fords 4cyl 2.0 or 2.3.  It has the same wrist pin, piston deck to cl wrist pin length. As the 200 engine family.

We had a motor break the skirts off of the piston until it got pancake-thin and then wedged sideways in the cylinder. That was caused by too much piston-wall clearance.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

In order to attach pictures you need to host them somewhere else. Facebook works, but then people need to be logged into a facebook account in order to see them (or so I've been told)

If you right mouse click the picture you can then "copy image location" in the pop up and get https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hph … e=54A5EB8A

Click the "img" button above and stick that link between the (img) tags that pop in

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/l/t1.0-9/10628054_696256203789189_105988948464333562_n.jpg?oh=eae2415496101af6e6fdf15bde9fd63e&oe=54A5EB8A

That looks like our old loose-in-the-hole motor. What is the piston-wall clearance on the remaining intact pistons?

There is my problem ( pictures ). Im working from the tablet and phone and away from the computer with a mouse and right cliker.

So to note the pictures no scalding of the cylinder walls. 1 kiss of the intake in #5 piston. Must have been adjusted a bit to tight.  That wasnt the problem. ( could have been).

Who makes a better piston and rod combo?  If I could find one, maybe I would stick with this motor.  Not feeling it right now

How tight are the wrist pins? If a broken skirt started it all I'd be looking at big rod angularity/rpm, sticky wrist pins, or maybe a weakened (dropped, casting flaw, etc) piston. There's always the wildcard something in there collision. Any strange parts in the wreckage?

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

The top edge of the piston looks like it rocked over far enough to drag on the cylinder wall.  That would be from a broken piston skirt on the opposite side.  Why the skirt failed is the ?  Seized wrist pin would be the first thing I'd look at...assuming piston to wall clearance was close to correct.

The piston-wall gap in that picture looks big to me. Here's a picture of correct clearance:

http://importsnc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9316&d=1410219934

Remember everyone, we ran this motor all day at Sears Point in the spring with no motor issues, but plenty of other little issues. Still we did manage to finish 44th out of more than 150, so we weren't pussy footing around. I would think if it was a major piston clearance mismatch to the size of the bore we would have noticed it in those 300 laps we ran. Also, since we basically had a less than zero residual after blowing up in practice, we had the block bored and bought new pistons in the overbore size. Anyway, more pictures.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10659168_696695120411964_6178017005085649297_n.jpg?oh=ff0e8f5ab8985ad8d7fb779e48604c73&oe=548B3DB7&__gda__=1419611357_a5693b279a8b4af0bfebf50433363882

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10635967_696695107078632_4307598579774850085_n.jpg?oh=09a00f6ecbf3d50a54c684e221226dd5&oe=548E7EAF&__gda__=1418493811_ee44d818d8cedceb3f4a72ca1b568035

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10676393_696695087078634_5056846180826777115_n.jpg?oh=3e6b9d9a682099b10a58184d6c611c14&oe=549E1543

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10672247_696695077078635_3600172399671088904_n.jpg?oh=1f6621c66371f51c728229803b94de78&oe=5486B47F&__gda__=1418166262_46dbeb50fd8a553d2ccb23b8d315ec38

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10414525_696695030411973_71457024072725213_n.jpg?oh=456e6e1fe27e3cabcc024eb50567e6c3&oe=5485F903

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10628295_696695057078637_4182121679648009982_n.jpg?oh=292e99620f43f1a93b9454e28141e0ca&oe=5483F629&__gda__=1419659921_0d74f717e9474f778ec024e22965524e

OK, not a lubricant failure, did I read somewhere 20ft lbs on the rod bolts? May not be the issue but I would increase that a little as you have ARP bolts, perhaps better pistons, or a little more space between the piston and head or a even lower redline, otherwise no more ideas.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Ok, no question it was a piston failure.   I now see that the mark on top of the piston is from it hitting the head surface after detaching from the bottom.  It looks like the piston split radially at the oil ring groove.  The bottom of the piston is clean, so it wasnt too hot.  Examine the wrist pin bore area on whats left of the piston.  Are there any signs of gaulding?  If the pin was too tight, it would show up there.  Otherwise, it looks like the piston pin pulled out under tension.  everything else was from having a loose connecting rod flying around in the crankcase. 
Why...who knows, but I'd use a different brand next time.

Dave, can you post some detailed pics of the bottom of the piston when its out.  Also, look at the cylinder bore for signs of the piston chatering.

Now I can see that your piston tops have beveled edges, so never mind the earlier piston-wall clearance observation. We had something similar happen when one rod bolt let go on the dyno; it started beating the piston against the head until it broke the piston and twisted the rod cap until the rod was loose and then tore up everything. It launched most of the pieces through the front of the block and we found them laying around the shop Now I don't stand in front of cars on the dyno any more.