Re: ford modular V8 reliability?

gtopat wrote:
Baron wrote:

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LTXF12/060-LTXF12-UG.jpg

God damn that's sexy. Is that a fox-4 hydroboost master or just manual brakes?

we had a hyrdroboost failure on track that totaled our car and another teams, so we bought a Maximum Motorsport manual brake setup. It's a very high quality piece.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I never reread what I write I guess. The wga is blown 25lbs isn't intentionally. I'm looking to do some sort of swap after this engine blows. First race is sept 13th. T minus 14 days until the engine blows lol.

Party Hard, Break Shit.

well it fits...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11178331_389356671251677_5718467964943847460_n.jpg?oh=bc51efd309175cc2fa45f33ca440fc36&oe=559B5B7A&__gda__=1440737986_1bd9c80765191fc159d3724a459a6ed1

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

The XR4TI mafia will be knocking on your door in the not so distant future.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

The XR4TI mafia will be knocking on your door in the not so distant future.

Haha.  Unless they have reliable (read non merkur) daily drivers, I'm not worried.

Actually, they have been mostly supportive.   I think they realize a lost cause when they see one, and would rather see it race than scrap.

The 2V modulars can take an impressive beating. My empirical evidence is beating the snot out of one for the better part of a day with a broken accessory drive (read: no coolant circulation). The engine would eventually get so hot the pistons would seize in the bores. We'd pour a couple 5 gallon pails of water directly on the engine which boiled off. After a few minutes it fired right up and continued on. Eventually the transmission gave out completely and we decided to pin it at WOT to see how long it would take to let go. After 5 minutes of that we got bored and shot a a few 30.06 rounds through the front cover to put the ole girl out of her misery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGBJH-8-30Y

WE ARE IMPORTANT MEN!  WE DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!

The 4Vs are a bad choice because they have coolant circulation issues and tend to crack blocks at the rear of the deck.

danio3834 wrote:

The 4Vs are a bad choice because they have coolant circulation issues and tend to crack blocks at the rear of the deck.

ORLY?

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

I've heard of 4-valves "ticking" from coolant hot spots but never of a block cracking. The Marauder guys have a modification that incorporates a rear crossover that eliminates this issue.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

There was a Crown Vic that was in circulation awhile back ended up dying here. It had been plagued by cooling problems. Turns out this cooling problem backtracked to a giant crack in the valley that went straight through to the water jacket, persumably from freezing the pure water coolant that it lived with forever. When I tore down that motor, the innards were completely fine. I found exactly two things wrong with the engine:
1) A spun water pump impeller. Again, probably because of ice.
2) The crack.

Bearings all looked great. Cylinder bores were great. Pistons were great. Decks and heads flat as can be.

But it had gone a race or two without any meaningful cooling capacity and looked brand freaking new. The heads and rotating assembly are now spares.

You cannot kill a 2V.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

gtopat wrote:

I've heard of 4-valves "ticking" from coolant hot spots but never of a block cracking. The Marauder guys have a modification that incorporates a rear crossover that eliminates this issue.

It's not a super common failure like say, Northstar head bolts pulling out, but we did see quite a few cracked 4V blocks when I was involved with such things at Ford. The crossover that you mentioned is supposed to help prevent that from happening.

EyeMWing wrote:

You cannot kill a 2V.

challenge accepted.

That's what we were hoping for,  We are going to stuff the biggest radiator and oil cooler we can and hope for the best.

This is a 92 or 93 engine, non PI, completely stock with 54k miles.   190hp version from a single exhaust Grand Marquis.  Picked for 3 reasons,

1) non-OBD II
2) Lowest performance = lowest stress on the motor,
3) 93 transmission was not computer controlled, so wiring is more simpler.

We're even running the factory marquis computer.

Trans is a t45 from a 99 mustang that was "good when pulled"  we'll see about that.

We're hoping the factory merkur fuel system can provide enough fuel with its goofy sequential pump system, because we are out of Lemons budget territory if we start messing with that stuff. 

Luckily for us, the old merkur 2.3t parts sold mostly for more than I expected, so our budget is actually within reason.

I think our next big hurdle will be the driveshaft.

Let me know what you guys do for a driveshaft. I'll be in a similar boat soon with needing a custom one.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Drdanteiii wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

You cannot kill a 2V.

challenge accepted.

That's what we were hoping for,  We are going to stuff the biggest radiator and oil cooler we can and hope for the best.

This is a 92 or 93 engine, non PI, completely stock with 54k miles.   190hp version from a single exhaust Grand Marquis.  Picked for 3 reasons,

1) non-OBD II
2) Lowest performance = lowest stress on the motor,
3) 93 transmission was not computer controlled, so wiring is more simpler.

We're even running the factory marquis computer.

Trans is a t45 from a 99 mustang that was "good when pulled"  we'll see about that.

We're hoping the factory merkur fuel system can provide enough fuel with its goofy sequential pump system, because we are out of Lemons budget territory if we start messing with that stuff. 

Luckily for us, the old merkur 2.3t parts sold mostly for more than I expected, so our budget is actually within reason.

I think our next big hurdle will be the driveshaft.

Measure, go to a salvage and start going through them and measuring. If you cant find one the right length, get one an inch or two longer, and then find a driveshaft shop to cut it down for you.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Get me measurements and I may have one that will work.  I've got about 6 shafts around the garage right now.  Just would have to check on what yoke will fit.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

P71 Vic's make a great driveshaft donor. 3" one piece aluminum, about a mile long. I got mine for $90 on ebay, shortened for $60.

42 (edited by Drdanteiii 2015-04-23 06:39 AM)

Well, I have a prelimnary plan for with to appropriately get shafted.:

We did get a driveshaft from a 99 mustang with the trans purchase.  The length looks pretty close, and when merkur-ites do a t5 trans swap from a fox body, they can usually use the driveshaft from the mustang that the t5 came out of.   

So what I'm hoping is this:
1) the Fox body and SN 95 mustang have similar driveshaft lengths.
2) the 4.6/t45 combo ended up in roughly the same spot as a 2.3T/t5 combo
3) that there is enough length in the slip yoke to make up for subtle variations, especially since our car being IRS wont need the full range of slip yoke available.
4) I can find one of the no-longer-produced mustang t5 driveshaft to wacky merkur pinion flange adapters
5) I can swap the u-joint yoke from the larger 95+ v8 mustang u-joint and flange bolt pattern that is currently on our mustang DS to the smaller pre-95 v8 mustang u-joint and flange bolt pattern.   I think this yoke is available new.

If everything works except for the legnth, I have a DS shop thats done multiple custom shafts for my jeep that I will use to shorten or lengthen the mustang shaft as necessary.   

And if the yoke/adapter/flange set up doesn't work as planned, we'll convince our team welder to steal some after hours time on the CMC at work to make an adapter that fits.