Re: Wrenching and Racing Tips and Tricks

Mike98036 wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

When driving the slowest car on track and coming up to a low speed turn at the end of a straight, if faster traffic will catch you at the turn, take the inside before they catch up. This way, when an idiot forgets to apply brakes, he doesn't stuff the left rear of your car in about 6".  Theyll miss you on the wide side.

I know this, but for some reason I can't seem to put it into practice.  And when it happens on-track, I think to myself "don't do it that way next time!".  But it still happens...

I had the opposite problem at Thunderhill. After two races driving my own 70 hp EXP, I found myself taking the 'defensive' line a lot at Thunderhill.  Even though I was driving a far faster machine.  I had to force myself to consciously move out along the pit lane wall on the west side of the track before the left-hander.  because my 'defensive' technique on the EXP would be to hug the left side and let the faster cars move over to go around me.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Its pretty easy to screw yourself with the defensive line.  I found myself doing that in my second race.  I was so much on the defensive line that I had a horrible line through so many turns I couldn't get a good lap at all.  It wasn't until the end of the race when my brakes were shot that I would find gaps to take the turns properly that I started getting decent lap times even though I was letting off very early so I wouldn't have to use the brakes.

Of course early in the race its hard to find gaps to do that in but I did start claiming my part of the track more and making the passer have to take compromised lines if they wanted by.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

Always assume everyone is trying to hit you.

They are!!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.