Re: Inside hugging and "slice and dice"

As one of the faster cars at CMP, we spend much of the race working traffic. Since we can't get around anyone on a straight, we need to out brake people and try to make the pass in the corner.  I have learned though that if you are the faster car you need to work around the others and give them their space too.  I also let others know my intent by pulling out to the line I want to take early.  I have had to stab the brakes while on the curb to dodge a car coming down on me but again, I put the car there so need to prevent contact from a less experienced driver. I have had a few folks over the years mirror drive/ block when I caught them. Those folks get a little warning bump reminder that  they need to reconsider their driving style. Usually they give you a small space to get by then try to keep up and go off the track in the next corner.  One of our drivers did get to aggressive with others in the corner (black helmet guy) but has been broken of that habit.

If I was going to pass along advice to others in a slower car it would be: to check your mirrors frequently, make your moves slowly (don't dart from one side of the track to the other side without checking for fast coming cars), and if a car caught you, they are faster so help them get by you (you'll both be faster).

Advice to the fast guys, cut the others some slack. You don't need to chop off their nose coming out of the corner or do a late dive bomb into the corner. You can't win the race in one corner but you can lose it.

Advice to the fast in a straight line but slow....  if I ran you down, passed you and stretched it out, diving me in the next corner with your brakes locked up and sideways causing me to dodge your out of control mess isn't a great driving style. Maybe consider dropping in behind and follow through the corner.

Now after saying all this I have to admit I have not always been a saint. I have made contact but always try to avoid it and find the person (if I can find them) to apologize and explain what happened. After 19 races with the same car with many of the same teams we don't want to be thought of as "those guys". I want to say sorry if we have ever done any of those things to you. Please come see me if we need to talk.

We have done every race at CMP and many others and will say that everybody has improved and the racing is better than ever. Virtually ever car on the track gets it. As the new people come in they learn to be better by driving clean. Getting off the soapbox now.

Mark
Grim Reaper Racing - V-6 Ford Mustang
American Made with worn out foreign parts

27 (edited by st_rage 2014-10-02 07:07 PM)

GrimReaperRacing wrote:

...Those folks get a little warning bump reminder that  they need to reconsider their driving style. ....

Maybe you should reconsider your driving style.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

GrimReaperRacing wrote:

Those folks get a little warning bump reminder that  they need to reconsider their driving style.
(..)
I have made contact but always try to avoid it and find the person (if I can find them) to apologize and explain what happened.

Hmmmmmmm

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

GrimReaperRacing wrote:

Those folks get a little warning bump reminder that  they need to reconsider their driving style.

hmm
I've never intentionally touched another car and I would be extremely pissed if one of the drivers on my team pulled something like that.
I'm kind of surprised that no one has given you a huge "warning" PIT maneuver in return.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

30 (edited by doctordel 2014-10-03 11:37 AM)

I cannot agree with intentionally hitting another car in a series where there are zero certified licensure requirements and drivers are quite often first timers, wives, children, etc who have chosen Lemons as their initial foray into motorsports specifically because that type of hardcore racing stuff is presumably absent.  What one driver sees as DB driving often is actually just inexperience manifesting itself.

That being said, my experience with you on-track, Reaper, has been positive and your drivers seem clean and safe.

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.