Re: Need a bigger truck to tow with

RogueLeader wrote:

I was dead set on a diesel for my next truck but I found in my price range I could get a far nicer and newer gasser, so I ended up with a 2008 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.0 Vortec.  It will tow anything you throw at it no problem, yeah the mileage isn't as good, but I have a new-looking truck with a lot of modern conveniences, and less age/wear on the suspension/trans/etc, for the same price as a far older Diesel vehicle that usually had more miles and wear.

Just something to think about.

Definitely +1. Do the math on diesel vs. gas. Unless you are going to be towing a lot (like daily) it will take many many years to make up any savings in fuel economy. Not to mention the greatly increased maintenance and repair costs.

The newer V8s and turbo sixes are so good now they are more than adequate for towing. My Ford Ecoboost V6 is rated to tow over 11k and gets over 9 mpg on flat ground at 65 mph with a 10k enclosed car trailer. We have been to the east coast twice from IL and it went up any hill with no problem.

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

It goes beyond cost of entry, maintenance, and fuel, though.  I just prefer the way a diesel tows- never shifting, low RPM, seemingly very understressed.  Also, cost of entry for used gasser trucks is lower because they depreciate faster.  I bought my '92 Dodge diesel for 4800 and sold it 8 years and 80,000 miles later for 5000.  I predict my F350 diesel will hold its value well, too.  A 10,000 gas truck becomes a 2,000 truck pretty quickly, from what I've seen.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:

It goes beyond cost of entry, maintenance, and fuel, though.  I just prefer the way a diesel tows- never shifting, low RPM, seemingly very understressed.  Also, cost of entry for used gasser trucks is lower because they depreciate faster.  I bought my '92 Dodge diesel for 4800 and sold it 8 years and 80,000 miles later for 5000.  I predict my F350 diesel will hold its value well, too.  A 10,000 gas truck becomes a 2,000 truck pretty quickly, from what I've seen.

The argument can also be made that since they depreciate faster, you get a newer truck for infinitely cheaper...especially at the 5-7 year mark.

The ones that hold their value the "best" still seem to be the 200K+ miles 7.3 IDI's and Cummins.  The ones that hold it the least are the V6 cargo vans...they hit bottom at about year 4.

Have 2 Diesel towpigs. One is my Cummins powered 68 Jeep M715. Only real problem seems that the drivetrain parts are not up to 800+LbFt.
The one I use for Lemons is a P30 chevy Ex-Frito-lay boxtruck. Cheap,effective and loud transport. Oh, and it hauls fuel in the back (in an enclosed compartment) and has bunk beds. 6.0 Fords can be a real headache to keep running. 50% seem to die before 100k

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

SeldomSeen wrote:

The one I use for Lemons is a P30 chevy Ex-Frito-lay boxtruck. Cheap,effective and loud transport. Oh, and it hauls fuel in the back (in an enclosed compartment) and has bunk beds.

Pictures please!!

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats

FPRbuzz wrote:

We got a fleet bus with a 7.3 powerstroke. 2 injectors, idler pulley and AC compressor have gone out. We've had it since May. It pulls the trailer with our pile of stutgart on it like it's not there. The 22 passenger bus gets 8.5mpg without the trailer and 8.5mpg with the trailer.

I'd like a chevy body with a ford base level interior, a P-Pumped Cummins 5.9 and a ZF 6 speed. That's not happening though.

Have a photo of that?  How do you attach a trailer to something like this?

RogueLeader wrote:

I was dead set on a diesel for my next truck but I found in my price range I could get a far nicer and newer gasser, so I ended up with a 2008 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.0 Vortec.  It will tow anything you throw at it no problem, yeah the mileage isn't as good, but I have a new-looking truck with a lot of modern conveniences, and less age/wear on the suspension/trans/etc, for the same price as a far older Diesel vehicle that usually had more miles and wear.

Just something to think about.

+1 on a 2500 with the 6.0 gas motor.  I have been towing our stuff all over with my 2500 Sierra Crew Cab, then spend the winter plowing my driveway.  Maintenance does not require jacking up a the cab or yanking out wheel wells, things are just where they are supposed to be and is cheap.  Sent the computer to Black Bear for a tune and to firm up the trans shifts and it worth every cent.  I get a little over 10mpg with the car trailer and a cab full of drivers.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

I have a 99 Dodge 4x4 with the Cummins and auto trans.  It was some kind of ranch truck in TX before I bought it at 210K.  It needed a trans, so I bucked up $3500 for a good one.  Truck now has over 400K on it and engine, trans, 4x4, and AC system all still work.  The rest of the interior tends to break off in your hand.  I have much of it screwed on where the plastic clips failed.