Re: Snow Blowers

OnkelUdo wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Ohh its almost guaranteed that as soon as I get this thing snow will become extinct in this region

Unless you also own a snow machine or a WRX with snow tires, the cost of a snowblower is a small price to pay for not having excessive snow.

I enjoy driving through it in my pickup, but the joy wears off fairly quickly.  But in fact the only reason I need to actually plow my driveway is so my future wife can get out and the mail man doesn't break his neck delivering the mail.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Ohh its almost guaranteed that as soon as I get this thing snow will become extinct in this region

Unless you also own a snow machine or a WRX with snow tires, the cost of a snowblower is a small price to pay for not having excessive snow.

I enjoy driving through it in my pickup, but the joy wears off fairly quickly.  But in fact the only reason I need to actually plow my driveway is so my future wife can get out and the mail man doesn't break his neck delivering the mail.

I only had 4 hours behind the wheel on some rural Poconos two-laners but I can honestly say, a first gen WRX with snows would never get old when the white stuff is falling.

I do own a WRX with snow tires, and I bought my snow blower in the middle of last winter. None of that stopped it snowing. But I'm ok with that. In the winter I hang up my Nomex suit and grab the skis. Bring on the snow.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

29 (edited by TeamDFL 2014-11-05 05:31 AM)

With a 2 car wide driveway and your climate, you need a 2 stage blower.  12 inches of wet heavy snow will paralyze a single stage unit.

I have 11 years on my Ariens mid sized Goldilocks unit.  I might have gotten away with their smallest 2 stage but occasionally wish I got the next size up.  I bought it from the local power equipment place rather than a big box store.  The local place sold it at the same cost and included free delivery, a tank of gas, and quick operating lesson in my driveway when the dropped it off.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

Buy an Ariens. The brand was recommended to me by my brother-in-law that manages a property. His was dead nuts reliable. I bought one nine years ago and it has started every single time. I took it in for maintenance for the first time this year, but not because it had a problem but because nothing had ever been done to it.

/thread

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Ok so local shops seem to have same price on 24" Ariens as HD ($799), however if I open an HD card I get 20% off dropping it to $719.  Local guy said it may seem like only 2 inches but don't get the 22, its too small for my driveway. 

I found a 3 year old Ariens ST724 on CL near my office, just waiting to hear back from the seller regarding if its electric start, sounds like it will fit the bill and hes asking $400.  Probably will go that way.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Mpyre wrote:

I got an Airens a couple of years ago.  Only used it three or four times but its works well.

What...California...Bay Area no less!  Are you allowed to comment on snow blowers without losing your medical marijuana card?  I mean I sure there is snow, and blowing, there but we are talking about stuff that naturally falls from the sky, is cold and was a topic in less popular John Hughes film (bonus if you know the quote).

Ha ha!  I guess full disclosure is warranted. 

This is used at my place in the Sierras.  We are at ~4000' and get some real snow every year.  I have a 500' driveway with a 17% grade so a shovel just doesn't cut it.  I tried, once, then promptly went to Home Depot and got the Airens.  What I really need is a plow for the front of my truck, or better yet a quad with blower attachment.

No bonus.

If the difference is about $200-$250, I'd go for the Ariens.  Better yet if you can get it on craigslist.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

After getting jerked around on 3 Ariens on craigslist I've now found a 2009 MTD PRO with a 5.5hp Tecumseh engine for $400, i looks pretty nice, can't find any info on how they compare, anyone?

RogueLeader wrote:

After getting jerked around on 3 Ariens on craigslist I've now found a 2009 MTD PRO with a 5.5hp Tecumseh engine for $400, i looks pretty nice, can't find any info on how they compare, anyone?

Wouldn't touch anything that is MTD.

Spend the $ and get something that will run when you need it to run. Trying to fix, or find parts for a broken snowblower in the middle of a storm is the suck.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

MTD is a crapshoot for almost any gas-powered small equipment.  They are the parent company that ate all the other companies so you may get Troy Bilt (original) quality or Murray current quality.  It is very hard to figure out now that they have consumed almost all of the market not controlled by some of the larger Japanese companies or Toro (whose current ownership seems a mystery).

37 (edited by RogueLeader 2014-11-09 10:20 PM)

Yeah I bailed on the MTD Pro, didn't even bother calling on it, was just getting frustrated.

Ariens #4 and 5 from craigslist finally panned out.  #4 was an 8524, 24" with an 8.5hp Tecumseh engine (real Tecumseh, this was a 2005 model).  It was a big boy but when I got there while it started and ran basically fine, it would not drive, the guy flipped it on its side and opened the bottom and we found the belt was worn, but also the shifter was a fight to get into any of the gears, and there was some funny "modifications" to the wiring.  It also visibly had never seen the inside of a garage so there was some rust, and a lot of oxidation on the motor.  He wanted $450 for it and yes I realize the belt is an easy fix (and this is an easily $1600 machine new) I didn't feel comfortable giving him that much in case there was transmission problems as well.  With no way to verify what I was buying wasn't a hunk of junk, I offered $300 but he declined and I decided this was not the machine for me.  For the price range I knew with patience I could find one that was good to go from the start, just a matter of catching it at the right time.

Next was a 2009 Ariens 520 with a 5 HP Tecumseh (also real) and only 20" wide.  Yes smaller than I wanted, but it runs and looks brand new, the guy was very anal about maintenance.  He also said to me take it to a shop have them check it out, if something is wrong bring it back and I'll give you your money back, obviously you know where I live and how to contact me.  Despite it being a little smaller than I wanted the owner was a solid guy, could tell me basically about every time he used it, so I felt like this was the right one to buy, $300 later its in my yard.  That and I am completely confident I could flip it for more if I decided it was too small in the end.

I picked up a cover for now and a set of the poly shoes for it to protect my bricks.  Also the guy at home depot gave me the missing ice breaker stick for free.  Going to give it an oil change and tighten things up and I should be good to go for the winter, thanks for the help everyone!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/tommy861/1558493_10152839931793839_4031536855866643519_n.jpg

congrats

nice find

Just wanted to throw an epilogue on this story, because I never have luck with this stuff (or I just make dumb decisions) but this time it worked out.

So this weekend I decided to give it a tune up, clean up, and install my poly skid shoes.  So I drained the tank and flipped it up to remove the transmission cover to be able to tighten up the loose handlebar bolts.  When I opened it I found the belt to be severely worn and stretched.  Now this machine runs and drives fine and you would never know the belt was nearly shot.  So then I thought back to the other one I passed on, that the guy swore the belt was the drive issue and showed me under the machine how it was stretched and worn....... except the belt on mine is worse, and it works fine.  The feeling of (for once in my life) buying the good one as opposed to the piece of shit one, is immeasurable.

I changed the oil and put in a new plug (had to order the belt, comes Wednesday) and now she purrs like a kitten.  Score!

smile

41 (edited by Sparky Pete 2014-11-18 02:14 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
Mpyre wrote:

I got an Airens a couple of years ago.  Only used it three or four times but its works well.

What...California...Bay Area no less!  Are you allowed to comment on snow blowers without losing your medical marijuana card?  I mean I sure there is snow, and blowing, there but we are talking about stuff that naturally falls from the sky, is cold and was a topic in less popular John Hughes film (bonus if you know the quote).

What do Californians know about snow? (shrugs) not much.

I like taking visitors around to some of the neighborhoods near Truckee/Donner where I grew up and see how long it takes them to ask "Why the $#% are there snowmobiles on everyone's second floor balconies?!?"

That's where they parked them last winter.

(edit:) After digging down to reach it.

https://scontent-2.2914.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/181729_1880607419464_2287432_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

well with that much snow there isn't really much use for snowblowers so they still wouldn't know much about them.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Moral of the story...

Buy a snow blower in April not November! smile

Bacon, oh bacon
Bacon, bacon, oh bacon
Love in five letters

Sparky Pete wrote:

What do Californians know about snow? (shrugs) not much.

I like taking visitors around to some of the neighborhoods near Truckee/Donner where I grew up and see how long it takes them to ask "Why the $#% are there snowmobiles on everyone's second floor balconies?!?"

That's where they parked them last winter.

(edit:) After digging down to reach it.

https://scontent-2.2914.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/181729_1880607419464_2287432_n.jpg

Yeah, the Sierras get a bit of snow.  When I first saw this post I thought of images like these of trips to Mammoth

http://mammothsnowman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/29-april092005-ch2wall-mammoth-mountain_std.jpg

and driving there on roads like this

http://www.sott.net/image/s2/51076/full/article_1340683_0C8E7F54000005.jpg

and remembering the hardest part of shoveling snow was heaving it up out of the ditch of snow walls on each side you were in and I'm wondering WTF good a snow blower would have done for me.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

While not as impressive, here's a couple shots of Super-Spouse's car last time we got attacked by that weird white fluffy stuff.

Sun dandruff, as we call it.   

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7540/15209304744_77f3385b11_o.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7521/15643458809_277f54bfd6_b.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

RogueLeader wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Hey, I figure this is as good of a place as any to ask about all things motorized.  I'm in the process of buying a house with my fiancee, we close on Dec 1st and the 1st thing I plan to buy before the shit hits the fan is a snow blower (considering the past few winters we have had here).  The house has a sloped driveway so I would like a powered one.  I've been looking at the 24 inch offerings from Craftsman, Troy-bilt, Toro, and Husquvara.  They are all in the $600 or so range, but the online reviews vary.  Any recommendations?

I have a 24 inch craftsman and it does quite well, Of course as soon as I got it, Winters started getting dry as the moisture has started shifting up to where you are lately. So I use it like twice a season.

Never ever take an electric start lightly, In the bitter cold, you'll be glad you have it.

Unfortunately it looks like snows not extinct in your area.  Have fun with the snow blower!

I'm like a small child right now. I've already told work i'm not coming in tomorrow. might not wednesday either. Tomorrow I plan on going skiing. I love skiing in storms. As long as NH doesn't call a state of emergency and ban driving like MA already did that's what i'll be doing.

I love snow.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

I'm like a small child right now. I've already told work i'm not coming in tomorrow. might not wednesday either. Tomorrow I plan on going skiing. I love skiing in storms. As long as NH doesn't call a state of emergency and ban driving like MA already did that's what i'll be doing.

I love snow.

Have fun!

I'm headed to Cannon on Friday.

CT is shutting down at 9pm.   Yeah no fun in the fun car tonight,

TheEngineer wrote:

I love snow.

Pow day at Crotched? I may be there! My work is "open," but then Manchvegas banned parking everywhere and there's only about 40 spaces for 500+ workers. I'm not fighting that.