Re: Skunky SHO BBQ Lessons

TheEngineer wrote:
WarpdSpazm wrote:

I feel we are at the point where a neck restraint (HANS, Necksgen, etc) not just a donut and a real fire system not just a bottle should be min requirements for safety.

I think this is where HQ is trying to balance safety and affordability. Neck restraints and fire suppression are expensive. I won't get into a car without my DefNder, but I can see where buying a couple of them could start to stretch the budget for other teams.

Linking the fuel pump power to oil pressure is an awesome idea. I think i'll have to rework my car to implement that.

yeah, I'm not that hot on requiring $1000+ of extra gear when racing twice yearly is a bit of a stretch. I'm already less risk-averse than some, commuting by motorcycle will do that. I  guess I'm just not that paranoid about fire when our car has 100% stock fuel and electricals; Benz are pretty good at not bursting into flames during autobahn 4-offs at far higher speeds than we achieve on track... Now, if I were driving something like the Chotus, I'd probably think differently...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

One questions for the Skunk Herder:

How much heat made it through the firewall, and what really worked vs. what didn't to patch the holes and feedthroughs?

Sorry to see the Skunk car go up in flames like this.  I hope it's something you can rebuild, or move to another platform.

Regardless, thanks for posting this.  The pics, and your explanation, provide an excellent graphic example of why we have kill switches, and the importance of using them.

I'm passed a pointer to this thread along to my team mates.  Should be required reading for any new teams and drivers.

bs

fleming95 wrote:

One questions for the Skunk Herder:

How much heat made it through the firewall, and what really worked vs. what didn't to patch the holes and feedthroughs?

So, my driver didn't report any "heat," but did say he saw "flames" in the cabin. I'll do some investigating tomorrow and see what it looks like inside.

I think the reason there may have been flames in the cabin is because of all of the fuel spraying about under the hood. Liquid fuel is going to migrate through even the smallest of holes. I have sheet metal patches over the large holes and various plugs in the smaller ones.

This has me seriously thinking about ways to completely seal the cabin from any future flame intrusion.
Unfortunately, that will likely only work in a situation like we faced. Throw in some contact with something large and heavy and the distortion to all of the structure will likely cause some gaps.

Lets be realistic, all we're really trying to do is buy the driver enough time to get out safely. As long as that happens the car can burn to the ground. I want to share a pint with them, not for them.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

gtopat wrote:

The Fuego came from the factory with a Bosch Tachometric relay on the injection computer and fuel pump. It is initially closed when the starter is engaged, then is kept closed by pulses from the negative side of the coil. Engine turns off for any reason, ecu and fuel are killed automatically. Works well.

Versions of that are on every Bosch K/L/LH/CIS/MOUSE/Down with OPP fuel injection system i have ever worked on.  That being said, they tend to have solder joint issues that cause folks to (foolishly) remove them for LeMon's when a 15 minute re-flow of the solder joints would make it better than new.

Type44 wrote:

yeah, I'm not that hot on requiring $1000+ of extra gear when racing twice yearly is a bit of a stretch. I'm already less risk-averse than some, commuting by motorcycle will do that. I  guess I'm just not that paranoid about fire when our car has 100% stock fuel and electricals; Benz are pretty good at not bursting into flames during autobahn 4-offs at far higher speeds than we achieve on track... Now, if I were driving something like the Chotus, I'd probably think differently...

For the record, the Chotus does have a fire suppression system, for obvious reasons. One nozzle pointing at the Carb, one pointing at the Drivers crotch.

Chotus! Chotus! Chotus! Chotus!

Steve W wrote:
Type44 wrote:

For the record, the Chotus does have a fire suppression system, for obvious reasons. One nozzle pointing at the Carb, one pointing at the Drivers crotch.

Do the instructions for these systems recommend having a nozzle pointed at the driver?  If you would happen to inhale as the powder is shot out you could be in a world of hurt.  It is bad enough just being in the cabin.  I'd hate to have it pointing directly at me.

Don't get me wrong.  I am not about being safe, but incorrect use of safety measures can be just as dangerous.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

I believe these types of fire suppression are an inert gas, not a chemical powder..  They are widely used in all forms of racing..

We put fire suppression systems in both cars this year in keeping w/CC rules.  These are water based systems.  The CC rules require one nozzle on the motor and one on the driver.  The system(s)  we bought came with hardware and tubing for 6 nozzles.  The instruction offer some guidance on nozzle placement.  We have one tube through the firewall with a nozzle pointed at the intake manifold and two nozzles on the driver.  One below the dash aimed at the driver's lower body and one nozzle on the roll cage aimed at the driver's torso.    One of the obsevations given in the instructions is that the more nozzles you install, the faster the system empties.  We decided on three nozzles.  If I remember correctly, each system was in the $350-$400 range.  We have the pull handle right next to the kill switch.  Driver's are instructed to use both then bail out in the event of a fire. And yeah, we've practiced the bail.  Not as easy as we would have guessed.

Flames are drawn to the cockpit because it's lower pressure than the outside of a moving car.  On a fire like that one coming up the windshield even if there are no firewall holes, the fire is going to come around the windshield and through the open side window.  Not uncommon for it to come through the floor shifter for the same reason.  You can (and should) seal up everything you can but the lowest pressure area in the vicinity of a moving car is the inside of the windshield and fire will be drawn backwards, forwards, up and down towards that low pressure area if the fire is big enough.  Seems like there was video of a sedan racer where the engine blew up or something and took out an oil line.  The engine was in front but the fire trailed down under the car and then was sucked forwards to the driver through the rear hatch where there was no window.

I bought 2 of the 4 litre AFFF aqueous foam type fire systems from these guys http://www.racingfiresystems.com/Racing … stems.html and have them in the Imp and Mazda.  I got a deal of $600 by buying two.  They are not self refillable, Pegasus Racing refills them and sells the SPA system parts.  I haven't tried to see if the dude that recharges my extinguishers locally can recharge it.  I wanted to try to buy the parts to plumb the other cars and move the bottle from car to car but the parts almost cost the same as buying a system so I dropped it.  As far as a nozzle pointed at the driver, I've heard of the halon type causing people to hyperventilate from lack of air as halon displaces the oxygen in the area.  I also accidentally set off a 10lb powder extinguisher while rummaging around in the back of the van at 3am after an 9 hour drive from a Thunderhill race and I can assure you that is not a pleasant experience that ended when the powder stopped flying.  Between a choice of those two or coming out looking like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man (AFFF), I'll go with the latter.  But anything is better than nothing, burns are much more difficult (& expensive) to recover from than getting busted up.  Not an issue in SoCal but since the AFFF is water based, you need to bring it inside to keep it from freezing in some parts.  I believe that like beer, it stills works after getting frozen/thawed but isn't quite the same.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I also accidentally set off a 10lb powder extinguisher while rummaging around in the back of the van at 3am after an 9 hour drive from a Thunderhill race and I can assure you that is not a pleasant experience that ended when the powder stopped flying.

I did the same thing when I tossed a spare tire into Spank's Austin America, which I had borrowed for a race.
The wheel hit the gauge on the extinguisher, breaking it off and leaving no way to stop the discharge.   And
it was not a small 10 pound extinguisher.   The folks at the tire shop got a good laugh, however.

The second lesson I learned was NOT to use a shop vac to try and clean out the mess.
My entire driveway and front yard ended up looking like a snowstorm had hit it.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

SPA's are recharged by SPA. Spendy if they are the electric fire type.
You get lots of bonus points for setting off any system on yourself. I have my bonus points already.

We also installed a fire suppression system, but only used two nozzles; one on the engine and one on the driver. Reading this thread, I may have to connect it to a relay that shuts down the fuel pump.

The system that we use is AFFF and is self-refillable and fired by a paintball gun cartridge. It's made by ESS and we bought it at Apex Performance for about $400.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Most if not all of the Lemons cars originally had some form of OEM electric fuel pump cutoff from the factory.  On the Vortec V6 in the 484 LUV, the fuel pump relay is controlled by the engine computer, and runs only when the engine is cranking or running.  On the carbureted 4 cylinder in the 282 LUV, the fuel pump relay only closes when there is a tach signal.  We reused both these OEM fuel pump triggers when wiring the trucks for racing. 

I know that Fords have "extra" fuel cutoffs, like the notorious trunk-mounted impact sensor that shuts off the fuel pump every time you hit a pothole, so I can totally understand why a Ford team would wire directly to the fuel pump rather than reusing the factory wiring with all its finicky and unreliable cutoffs.  But this strategy only works if the kill switch actually gets used!

The fire bottle in the cockpit is only for putting out fires that are preventing you from getting out of the car.  I think CC's mandatory fire supression systems are overkill - just get the driver out of the car and then let it burn to the ground.

WarpdSpazm wrote:

You're right Chris... $500 for a neck device, plus around $700 for a good fire supression is a big chunk of change, especially for a new team.  and most teams never end up "needing" them. It just helps my wife sleep on race weekends when I'm 6 hours away.

Personally I picked up the car with the FPS already installed, so that helped, but it was on my list.
So maybe not a min req for first race, but if you're in it for the long haul, I would strongly lobby that it should be on your hot list by start of second season.by then you've hopefully been able to get costs under control and plan it in...

http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/product.html#Link

The $200 Isaac "Link" seems like best cost/benefit safety neck restraint out there.  Maybe not the full monty, but as long as it keeps your spine from pulling out of your brain, it's a win IMO.  S/F....Ken M

I used to know a guy that hit a wall at VIR at 80 wearing an Isaac. He was very impressed with it's performance.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!