Re: w116 Roll Center Correction

You can calculate the spring rate pretty easily.  http://www.acxesspring.com/spring-calculator.html.

I've played around with springs a bit on the Jag and not sure I've had much success yet but still working on it.  I found that once you figure out what you have, you can find stiffer alternatives pretty easy.  I measure the height, inside and outside diameter of the springs.  I then searched fleabay for used NASCAR and oval racing type springs in the size I'm looking for.  There's a lot out there for pretty cheap.  Yes, I could go to the junkyard and search but since I'm already dealing with a rather uncommon heavy car, the odds of me finding something in my size and stiff enough to be an upgrade is slim.  Sometimes it helps to look up AFCO/Hypercoil/Eibach/etc catalogs to find the part#'s and search that way.  It sounds like the Merc is similar in that it uses long springs.  The rear springs on the jag now are 12" and cost me $29.  The fronts were much harder because the stock cut springs with 1 1/2 turn cut out still measured 14" and are relatively narrow.  It's tough to find long springs that are stiff enough to be an upgrade over stock.  Sure, I could have ordered one from a Jag performance shop but they are expensive and I'm cheap.   I ended up using  a front spring from a SCORE/offroad racing truck that was long enough.  I had to cut up and reweld the spring pan to accommodate it's slightly larger diameter.  I thought about doubling up the front bar but there is very little room in there with the V12.  It's difficult enough just to get the stock bar mounted with all the crap in the road.  It has no rear bar so I was going to make up a rear bar out of sprint car torsion bar and arms that I have laying around.  Haven't got around to that but if I can't solve the front bar then just adding a rear bar may cause some interesting handling.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

27 (edited by mackwagon 2015-02-13 10:20 AM)

In the words of so many young women today. OMG!!!!

FPRbuzz wrote:

Do you know how to use MsExcel or similar spreadsheet programs?
Yes

OK, starting with the unlikely, but do able. Like "the Shaolin" stated. Order a copy of How to make your car handle. Then build a spreadsheet with the formulas from the book and plug in your suspension dimensions and see what results you get. The upside to this is you can then plug in different spring rates or/and different roll bars to see what the effect on your "handling" should be like. But build it for the stock suspension, then make a copy for your current modified suspension, and then make a copy for the optimized suspension.

OR we'll make some assumptions and you can just try this stuff out. See next answer.

FPRbuzz wrote:

Can you tell me what spring rates you have in the front and rear?
Sadly no. They are stock springs that we cut coils on.

OK at least make a spreadsheet with spring parameters in columns (cell b5 is wire diameter, B6 is coil Outer Diameter, B7 is free coils, B8 is measured unloaded lenght). Use the spring formula that Chesero links to in the last response. Calculate your stock front and rear in Column B and C. Calculate the cut down springs in columns E and F, make a copy for new JY springs in columns H and I and maybe a couple more.
Measure your wire diameter and outer coil diameter. The nominal coil diameter is the outer DIA - 2 x 1/2 the wire DIA or more simple outer coil DIA - 1 wire DIA.
for free coils, if your ends are flattened look closely at when the coils start to be free, usually about 3/4 of a coil from the starting point. If you cut the coils its all in play for the cut end, so count free coils right to the end

You need to look at the lower control arms pivot to spring center, vs pivot to ball joint length. The effective wheel spring rate is a function of the ratio of the control arm. UNLESS you are using a coil over. If the spring is over the strut, its 1 to 1.
Tell us what those rates you calculate are. I'm guessing you'll have rates in the 150-200 #/in range. I'm also guessing you'll want rates in the 400-600#/in range for a 3500# car. Maybe higher if the LCA ratio is low.

The Valiant (my Car) seen in this photo is ~2600-2700#. 400#/in dodge van springs on the rear with a Datsun 510 7/8" roll bar. A combination of stock 110#/in torsion bars and some ~300#/in coil overs on the fronts, but de-rated by the LCA ratio with a 1.125" Mustang roll bar. Notice the VW has more roll
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LAF14/0 … _8440.html

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LAF14/1 … _9044.html
Here notice the BMW an MR2 have less roll than the valiant, but the VW has more. Also look at the Left front wheel of the Valiant. its just about 1-0 deg camber under moderate cornering, an 0-1 (out) under hard cornering. Its about 4 deg in at the top with the car level. (see more below)

OK, what to do.
Bigger rate up front . 2 wheel up front tricycle cars corner OK, 2 wheel to the rear tricycle cars corner like shit, RIGHT?

Option 1: Hit the JY with your computer and measuring device and find some new springs that when cut will give you about 500#/in wheel rate, maybe 600 or 700. Your looking for the same OD as your stock spring, but a bigger wire DIA or less coils in the same length  If you get a tall 500#/in, you can cut it down after 1 race and try the 600#/in version.

Option 2. I'm going to guess that finding a big enough spring to get to 500-700#/in rate is going to be difficult (6000# cadillacs?).
So double spring it. Hit the JY and look for springs that have an OD that fits INSIDE your current springs. So (example) you have a 5" OD with a .540" wire DIA, your inner DIA is 5-2x0.54 = 3.92".  Now this gets complicated in calculating the right length of each spring vs the rate. Basically what you want is the UNLOADED length to be the same. Then you can calculate the rate of each and get a combined rate. You could get a little trickier and make it progressive, but having one spring just a little longer than the other, but I' vote against that, its even more complicated.

FPRbuzz wrote:

Do you have a rear sway bar?
Yes. It's a twig, ~12mm.

OK some people say no rear bar or a small rear bar. I'm using a small datsun bar 7/8" or ~22mm on the 2700# Valiant and in the first picture, above, you can see the right rear tire is almost off the ground. need more something somewhere (probably more front spring). Your 12mm rear bar is ~ 1/2 the size on a heavier car, so its probably undersized. See if a front bar will fit the mounting locations at all. Or measure the end location  and hit the JY to see if you can find a similar shaped bigger bar. what every you do make the rear smaller than the front (smaller DIA with the same length arms).

BUT the most important thing IMO is Spring rate. Fix that first then figure out the roll bars.

FPRbuzz wrote:

Stock front bar?
Yes. Stock bar with good condition bushings and endlinks.

Same answer as for the rear bar, measure it and hit the JY.

FPRbuzz wrote:

3500# is the current racing weight?
3500# with a driver and 1/2 tank of fuel

FPRbuzz wrote:

How is the camber on the front wheels? Or what Static (car on the ground) camber do you have (even eye ball it). 0 degrees? +3 (top out), -2 (top In)???
Static camber right at 0° static

OK not nearly enough Camber. With the Lower Control Arms horizontal (draw a picture), when the suspension compresses, the arm moves up the curve (  and the camber goes positive (top out), which rolls the tire onto its outer edge and the front end slides (pushes). I'll bet your tires have plenty of tread on the inner edge and cord showing on the outer edge at the end of the race  Valiant has about 3-5 degrees in at the top. front tire wear is even and very light. We get ~3 races out of set of tires.

Options: move the upper strut mounting point inward, or move the lower ball joint out.
HOW: get rid of the upper isolator and install a flat steel 1/4"plate. drill a couple holes for the upper strut inward of center. Maybe every other one on the Center line and the others to the rear by 1 DIA. or something like that. Or just figure out via some math where you thing you need to drill. I'll guess again and say that the strut rod needs to be at the inner end of the current upper mount opening or slightly further inward.
OR: cut the lower arm and weld in either a extra section, or cut the inner end off and weld in a threaded rod with a threaded Heim joint end to make the LCA longer. Use washers to space the Heim joint fore and aft in the inner mount. Put on a locking nut. This is adjustable (very cool)

Also if you put blocks in between the LCA and the ball joint the LCA gets more angle downward, starting out lower on the radius curve (  , and so when your front end compresses you get back to mid point an only have 0 camber (see the Valiant photo again).

Report back.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

28 (edited by mechimike 2015-02-13 07:15 AM)

I know Mercs (lke the W123) use some funky suspension stuff, like the anti-roll bars, so fabbing anything aftermarket is going to be tricky.  Someone here mentioned the "soft spring big bar" setup, and for a big heavy car that's hard to find stiffer springs for, that might be your best bet.  You might be able to fit a second bar somewhere in the front, going either along the stock bar or in a completely different location. 

Something we did for our LTD was clamp the rear springs.  Auto parts stores sell these clmaps, you put 2 or 3 of them around 2 adjacent coils and it effectively increases the spring rate and lowers the car.  I could see doing more, and possibly adding in solid spacers to bring the ride height up to where you want it.  Don't forget to get shocks of the proper damping rate and length.

Something else to consider- these diesel benzes are incredibly nose-heavy.  Stiffening the front springs and front bar will tend to increase understeer even more.  You may have to go with a stiffer rear bar/ springs to compensate.  Or move some weight off the nose.  Or both. 

Double + Good on adding '-' Camber.  In the absence of actual data, -2 or -3 degrees seems to be about optimal for many cars.  Too much negative camber and you lose contact patch, which can affect straight line braking.  On my street W123 I run about -1 degree in front and love the way it handles.  Positive camber is for tractors and things that need low speed maneuverability.  :-)

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Thanks for the great info Mackwagon. I'll be in the JY today and they have a stock w116 I can check out with my calipers and tape measure.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

We were having a lot of issue with body roll, throwing a lot of weight on the outside front when going into a turn. Our solution, that works well even if it's not the best, was limiting straps on the rear.

Went from this:
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LECR13/520-UG-North_Dallas_Hooptie_2013.jpg

to this
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LMSR14/322%20-%20MSR14%20-%20IMG_7126.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

For stiffer springs look to vans and SUVs, we found that Chevy Astro van springs at around 800 lbs fit a 3rd gen camaro and 65 Impala rear springs increased the rear by around 100 lbs.
Jeep cherokee fit a RWD Celica etc

If you know what you have got then try this handy dandy Moog look up table to find something with the same diameter but higher rate, that gives you the drop you need, remember cutting will increase the rate further.
http://classiccarsprings.com/coil-sprin … tions.html
Then go buy the new springs or junkyard, most new springs run at about $50 a piece on Rockauto/amazon etc.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

32 (edited by mackwagon 2015-02-13 10:35 AM)

All of this has happened before (Virtual Six)

I was writing that up at 11pm last night, past my bed time. So I forgot a few things.

You have to design for a ride height, specifically on the front so you get the lower control arm in the right range of its arc. So its a bit of a game when you start cutting down springs. I made the spreadsheet  and put it in Google Drive. If you have this link you can download it and use it. Its already built.
READ THE NOTES PAGE FIRST. but if you have questions or comments you can e-mail direct to me.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwoBsw … sp=sharing

And this was covered in a previous thread, which you can read here:
"P****" asked recently about lowering a mustang and I wrote up the options (from my viewpoint).

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=29029"

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

These guys made a noticeable difference in our E30.
http://s23.postimg.org/xs332zoij/image.jpg

I guess I'm interested in this because it may lead to other spring options for the Jag.  Spring swaps between Mercs seems to be a common topic as there's a bunch of info out there.  From what I can see, the W123 front springs dimensions are not shared with many others.  The closest is the W116 which is 25mm taller.  Not sure if it's true for all the W123 range but it appears the height of the W123 spring is 450mm (17.7 inches).  They also list a thickness of 15.8mm.  Hopefully you can see enough of the spring to count the free coils and diameter so that you can come up with a spring rate.  18 inches is a pretty stinking long spring and to find something in a higher rate on an average car in the JY kinda seems like a tall order to me..   I kind of doubt that your average Chevy van is going to have springs nearly that long.  Maybe the JY will pay off but I think you will need to look elsewhere.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

35 (edited by jrbe 2015-02-13 04:44 PM)

Single shear roll center correctors freak me out. I'm sure plenty of people use them without issue. If something can't take rally abuse I don't want it in a car I'm racing.

It's mentioned above to put blocks to improve lower control arm angle. Realize the control arm angle doesn't matter, it's the center of the ball joint to the center of the control arm bushing angle that matters.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

jrbe wrote:

Single shear roll center correctors freak me out. I'm sure plenty of people use them without issue. If something can't take rally abuse I don't want it in a car I'm racing.

It's mentioned above to put blocks to improve lower control arm angle. Realize the control arm angle doesn't matter, it's the center of the ball joint to the center of the control arm bushing angle that matters.

When you put blocks (or Single shear Center correctors) in, it moves the LCA lower, and its mating face (which mates to teh Ball joint) gets angled. So it does change the angle of the ball joint, in a good way.

37 (edited by jrbe 2015-02-20 04:26 PM)

Lower control arm angle in any correct suspension talk/book is referring to pivot point to pivot point of the control arm. Draw it out, blocks change the physical control arm angle but gain you nothing because the pivot point doesn't change. If the ball joint bolts to the steering knuckle/ wheel bearing housing and the block moves the pivot down from the wheel centerline then yes. Most ball joints bolt to control arms and blocks do nothing in this case.

The single shear roll correctors work but add weakness. Not something I like trading for.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Offhandedly, are you running the same size sway bars as found on a 6.9? I  know those have Citroen hydraulics on the suspension, but the oddball front bar and relatively conventional rear bar should be the same design... And I would imagine, of stouter diameter.

Doubling up on the rear bar is child's play on a 126, yours is similar...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)