Re: Merkur build thread

fyremanbill wrote:

I seriously don't know where to begin.

Begin by taking photos of it from every possible angle.   Then, when you reassemble it,
you will be able to answer questions like, "Which way was this bracket attached?".
I did this with the Super Snipe and it saved me lots of grief.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

I've given up on trying to put it back together in original form.  Info on the carb'ed turbo Fords is slim, and it's obviously complex.  I counted 22 different thermal, electrical, and check valves in the vacuum lines attached to the engine.  It's now stripped to basics and about 20% lighter...most of the brackets where cast iron!

fyremanbill wrote:

I've given up on trying to put it back together in original form.  Info on the carb'ed turbo Fords is slim, and it's obviously complex.  I counted 22 different thermal, electrical, and check valves in the vacuum lines attached to the engine.  It's now stripped to basics and about 20% lighter...most of the brackets where cast iron!

Webers were popular on the 2.0 liter cortina engines, I bet there is an adapter plate or intake for a Weber or maybe Holley for this.
Ditch all the vacuum lines except the vacuum advance and the brake booster, bolt on a simple old school carburetor, you have enough other crap to go wrong to keep you busy smile

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

I've got a few carbed 2.3 turbo bits, including a turbo with no play in it, IIRC.

Let me know if you need anything.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I have it down to the long block now.  Everything except the exhaust manifold is in remarkably good condition.  It already has the holley 5200 version of the 32/36 weber carb...looks recently rebuilt.  I'm having a hard time finding anything that needs to be replaced, and I'm only into the entire project for $100 at this time!

31 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2015-03-05 02:46 PM)

fyremanbill wrote:

I'm having a hard time finding anything that needs to be replaced, and I'm only into the entire project for $100 at this time!

There is always a reason a car is not driving, there is always a reason.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

fyremanbill wrote:

Little slow around here, so thought I'd post a few pics.  Anyone ever see a T-4?  It looks like a T-5 without the 5.  http://i61.tinypic.com/2q1z3wl.jpg

Not totally up on my late 70's early 80's transmissions, but I think that is an SROD (Single Rail Over-Drive) transmission.
Clean it up and make a lamp out of it. Get three more and you have table legs.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

The car was allegedly parked do to not passing smog test.  Kiwi Steve did start the Mustang before pulling the engine and it did run OK, but wouldn't idle and smoked a bit. 

From what I've read, the SROD was behind the V-8's.  T-4's, sometimes called Borg Warner RAD, was used in a bunch of 4 and 6cyl manual applications.  I'll get the part numbers off the top and see what it really is.

Mmmmmm malaisey non-OD.

Thats a Borg Warner, the SROD looks like a toploader

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

fyremanbill wrote:

The car was allegedly parked do to not passing smog test.  Kiwi Steve did start the Mustang before pulling the engine and it did run OK, but wouldn't idle and smoked a bit. 

From what I've read, the SROD was behind the V-8's.  T-4's, sometimes called Borg Warner RAD, was used in a bunch of 4 and 6cyl manual applications.  I'll get the part numbers off the top and see what it really is.

The SROD did get used behind sixes, but you're correct that it looks like a Top Loader. That's why I had remembered that it was a 3+1 transmission.
Here's a pick of a truck SROD
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p295/FireDispatcher/P2030240.jpg

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

36 (edited by fyremanbill 2015-03-05 11:44 PM)

Yep, different from the SROD.  I see a lot of T4 stuff on the Jeep forums...seems they were used in a lot of AMC applications.

fyremanbill wrote:

Yep, different from the SROD.  I see a lot of T4 stuff on the Jeep forums...seems they were used in a lot of AMC applications.

I believe they were used behind the AMC 4-banger. and the occasional horribly equipped amc I6.

There may be as many as 2 still in use. lol

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Drdanteiii wrote:
fyremanbill wrote:

I believe they were used behind the AMC 4-banger. and the occasional horribly equipped amc I6.

There may be as many as 2 still in use. lol

Make that 3 still in use...it's going back in if I can make it fit!

The current state of the merkur.  I believe that the easy part is done. 
http://i57.tinypic.com/2vwinx2.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/fmj29l.jpg

You still have about $20 in copper scrap to yank...especially if you're putting a carbureted engine in there!  smile

I don't need most of it.  The car is still registered and i'd like to keep the lights working.  Guess I can cut the harness open and pull out what I need.

fyremanbill wrote:

I don't need most of it.  The car is still registered and i'd like to keep the lights working.  Guess I can cut the harness open and pull out what I need.

Of all people, you should know that you could be miles ahead to just rip out the old and run new wires (Bill has repaired the shorted out Rover wiring 3-4 times now)

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Yeah..yeah, just would be easier if I could at least leave the wiring for the tail, brake, and head lights.  The rest can go, unless some Merkur nut needs a wiring harness.

That's the harness people use when doing a 2.3 Turbo conversion.  Much easier to use than one from a Turbo Coupe.  Turboford.org, Natomessageboard.com

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

That's the harness people use when doing a 2.3 Turbo conversion.  Much easier to use than one from a Turbo Coupe.  Turboford.org, Natomessageboard.com

I guess I shouldn't have cut ours out with an angle grinder then....

So far all I've managed to sell are the floor mats.  Apparently Merkur nuts will buy anything.

Drdanteiii wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I guess I shouldn't have cut ours out with an angle grinder then....

I'm sure you were taking 3 years of frustration out on it...

Matt, we had pretty well butchered it prior to that anyway.

fyremanbill wrote:

So far all I've managed to sell are the floor mats.  Apparently Merkur nuts will buy anything.

you have no idea.

If your rusty-water filled engine mounts are still good, you can easily sell the pair for $60, and replace them with something sturdier.

If the plastic corners on the cowling trim at the base of the windshield are good, sell them immediately, for way more than they should be worth.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111578139558

Cowl corners were gone.  Engine mounts look good, and it's a SoCal car, so no rust anywhere.  Thanks for the tip.