Re: Broken Arm at ECR Icefest

Get well soon.  Fireball Racing.

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

27 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2015-03-04 05:28 PM)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20708720/Carls_arm_small.jpghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20708720/heroic_fix_small.jpg

Xray reminds me of our #6 connecting rod.
Get well soon.
A few years ago, I broke both arms (BEST WIFE EVER).

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Just a check-in to say thank you all once more. The kitty has reached $3500 now thanks to lots of people participating. I think it's great that teams that haven't even gotten to meet Carl yet have chipped in just on the assumption that "He's into Lemons, so he must be OK." This has been true in my experience all over the country so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. smile

Folks have raised the question of, "Hey, shouldn't Lemons event insurance cover this?" Well, the paperwork to make a claim on that policy will be started, but as Scott alluded to, it tends not to cover 100% of the ambulance ride. I have no clue if it will cover any of Carl's other medical treatment. If magical unicorn tears fall from the sky and make the insurers feel so happy that they say they'll cover everything Carl needs, we'll see what the refund mechanism is like on GoFundMe so people can redirect their generosity onto the next worthy target.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

cpchampion wrote:

If... they say they'll cover everything Carl needs, we'll see what the refund mechanism is like on GoFundMe....

A few years ago I slipped on ice and broke my hip (which I do not recommend), so I can say from experience that there are a lot of unforeseen expenses even with good insurance.  It's easy for me to speak freely concerning my own small donation and everyone else's cash, but I'll say don't be too hasty with a refund.  That money will find a way to be spent.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

As long as the money goes to Carl, we say he can keep Giesela's and my portion of it regardless of the insurance payout.  Even if they cover the medical costs to the penny, he'll have plenty of other expenses and troubles that the funds may help offset.  (comfy chair, extra food costs, hospital related transportation, etc. )

Hamsa

He's a new man now, part of the machine,
His nerves of metal and his blood oil.
The clutch curses, but the gears obey,
His least bidding, and lo, he's away.

Hell, even it it buys him some comfort for a month, and spreads good will of grassroots racing, it's good PR.

Or if he just buys a few good meals and a beer with our portion we feel good.  It's the intent that counts, not dollars.

Hamsa

Keep what he needs... Pay what he doesn't need forward to someone who does.  Gifts are given... Not meant to be returned.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Keep what he needs... Pay what he doesn't need forward to someone who does.  Gifts are given... Not meant to be returned.

+100

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

+100

Yup, that. If there's extra give it to someone like Alex's Lemonade Stand. I'd never dream of asking for it back.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

35 (edited by Drdanteiii 2015-03-06 07:23 AM)

I have no interest in a refund either.   If there is some $ left, or even if none of it is needed, give it to a charity, or someone else who needs it.

I'd just waste it on booze and one day trial internet activities anyway.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

^What all those guys said.

SpaceFrank wrote:

^What all those guys said.

What he said about what those other guys said.

bs

Thanks for chiming in, y'all.
Bills are already to about a grand and they won't make a decision on whether to do surgery until about a week and a half from now.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Yeah, I don't want the money back. He can buy sushi with it if he wants.

If it's not life threatening,
take some ibuprofen and call a cab after the infield care treats you.

I don't check this part of the forum often, and I bet others don't either.
Let your team mates know about Carl. Small contributions add up.

Best Wishes, Carl.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Hello Lemons friends, That is my ugly mug and busted wing at the start of this thread.
1st, let me say that I am left absolutely speechless at this outpouring of good wishes & good will from the Lemons community. Frankly, in this cynical day & age, it was as unexpected as it is appreciated.
2nd, I am currently attempting to heal via the usage of a special brace that allegedly will keep the bone from wobbling about. The Doctor is frankly skeptical as to whether it will work or not. As someone mentioned earlier, the other option is surgery, screws & plates. My next Doctor's visit is St Paddy's Day.
3rd, finding out, the hard way, of the things one can do easily with two hands vs one handed has been a real eye-opener. Typing this post for example. That is why I am keeping this short.
Finally, thank you all very much!!

chshldr wrote:

Hello Lemons friends, That is my ugly mug and busted wing at the start of this thread.
1st, let me say that I am left absolutely speechless at this outpouring of good wishes & good will from the Lemons community. Frankly, in this cynical day & age, it was as unexpected as it is appreciated.

Carl,

Welcome to the forums.  This is where we keep the cynicism. ;-)

Hamsa