Re: Counting your chickens early: Autobahn 24-hour race in July

therood wrote:

Jesus, you guys are brutal.

Just brutal.

We're obviously not cheating as much as we should be.

Joliet will be the car's swan song, unless it miraculously pulls off a top ten finish (lol!)

The Pentastar whisperer

cabinboy wrote:

I'm not even sure I have a ride for this race but I won't miss it.

I hear that other team racing a dust buster van is still looking for a driver.  It would make you our arch enemies but you would have potentially the scariest experience of your racing life if theirs handles as well as ours did at Gingerman.

I am not sure we are going to make it as we lost two motors last weekend at NJMP.  However, we do now have a minivan backup and all this talk is really making me consider bringing it out.  I just don't see it surviving a 24 hours race without an open PepBoys or junkyard near by.  I like the race within a race idea

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

I know the oreilly in Joliet was open until midnight a couple years ago, so you may have a part store for most of the race open.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

if anyone needs practice for night driving at Autobahn, I found this video game that is pretty fucking close to the real experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH7iMzEHOxg

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

Lol

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

BoB wrote:

So the email reminder was sent out today and says it will be multiple track layouts again.  So is it south for then full until checkered?  or south full  south, or south full north so we get to race on all 3 configurations.

I think the email was just to mess with us. Jeff Glenn just confirmed for me that the race will be South course only.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
BoB wrote:

So the email reminder was sent out today and says it will be multiple track layouts again.  So is it south for then full until checkered?  or south full  south, or south full north so we get to race on all 3 configurations.

I think the email was just to mess with us. Jeff Glenn just confirmed for me that the race will be South course only.

If this is the case then this race just got a whole lot less appealing....

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

I can confirm "insider info" of it being the South track only.  Having said that, this is still going to be awesome.  Be positive Brett!!!!

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

I can confirm "insider info" of it being the South track only.  Having said that, this is still going to be awesome.  Be positive Brett!!!!

Then why the email about "multiple track configurations"?

111 (edited by Brett85p 2015-05-15 07:42 PM)

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Its still going to be awesome, my first 24 hour race and all but I really wanted to get another shot at the full course.

I was really looking forward to driving into the jump at night. It was awesome

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Well, my source was the most accurate data from 1-2 months ago.  It sounds the same as Jeff's info.   I'm not sure why the email unless plans have changed.

OnkelUdo wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Then why the email about "multiple track configurations"?

While I really enjoyed the full course, and my car is much better suited to the north course, The cutover was pretty long last year, and being that I had function lights and alternator we started making up laps on teams in the dark but it was much harder to catch up when the lap is almost twice as long.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

While I really enjoyed the full course, and my car is much better suited to the north course, The cutover was pretty long last year, and being that I had function lights and alternator we started making up laps on teams in the dark but it was much harder to catch up when the lap is almost twice as long.

I don't even remember the South course at night (except for our side by side battle on the back straight), i think I was so freaking amped by the North course in the dark that I relaxed and cruised the South part each lap and it didn't leave any impression.

Other than annoying you, the only other part I really remeber on the south course at night was the breadvan going wide on turn 6 causing me to have to slam on the brakes to save my front end.  Other than that yeah mostly it was nice to see the north track again since I hadn't been on it since 2010.

Facebook Page

Brett85p wrote:
BoB wrote:

I don't even remember the South course at night (except for our side by side battle on the back straight), i think I was so freaking amped by the North course in the dark that I relaxed and cruised the South part each lap and it didn't leave any impression.

I had the opposite experience -- I remember the South course very well, and thought that I was relatively fast on it in the dark, but I was very tentative on the North up until I wrecked five laps later. 

I hope the team I swapped paint and metal with shows up -- I owe them a lot of beer!

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

majo wrote:

osite experience -- I remember the South course very well, and thought that I was relatively fast on it in the dark, but I was very tentative on the North up until I wrecked five laps later.

That seems like fast car problems.  We slower cars get times to look around and enjoy the sites of the track.  We ponder the greater meaning of life, discuss philosophy, read the great novels, and many other things while waiting to reach the end of the straight.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

That seems like fast car problems.  We slower cars get times to look around and enjoy the sites of the track.  We ponder the greater meaning of life, discuss philosophy, read the great novels, and many other things while waiting to reach the end of the straight.

Adjust the heater controls.  Play with the steering wheel buttons.  Contemplate how many sets of race tires will fit in the back.

Does anyone think they can do the full 24 on one set of tires and one set of brake pads?

121 (edited by BoB 2015-05-21 02:01 PM)

Well, after the 14 I still have over 50% left on the pads in front, and the rear drums will last forever.  Although the south is tougher on brakes than the north so I think full course helped brake life.

Tires not sure, we will need to have people keep off the reflectors and we may have a shot.  The tiny slits appearing on the outside of the front tires seemed to start breaking apart which my best guess is running over the reflectors on the outside of some of the turns.

Facebook Page

I'm thinking monitor front tires and maybe rotate at some point. Brakes hit or miss we have never run the same pads for two races but might try something a bit more spendy to try and make it the full 24.

Talking to Roland last race it seems like my car was in the minority of cars that didn't change brakes, with many of the teams changing them multiple times, a few sounds like they were praying they could make it being out of spares.

My car is slow and is running brakes meant for cars well over 1000lbs heavier than my car so hoping it will work out, but will have spares.

Facebook Page

We will have spares as well pads and rotors.

No chance for us to last all 24 hrs on one set of brakes or tires.  The old Geo would've lasted the whole time on one set of each.  We have fast car problems now.