Re: Anti-sway bar

Just be sure to have a camera mounted somewhere you can see what is going on in and out the back.  Youtube moment in t-12 days.

When the endlinks break - are you going to keep going or stop to fix them?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Reminds me of when I lowered my ITB Pinto (don't snigger, people raced them back in the day when I still had hair) so far that the rear axle bottomed out on the rubber snubbers.  When you went over the top of Turn 8 (Madness) at MidOhio the suspension would go full solid and you IMMEDIATELY were facing back the way you came.  It was fun for everyone but the guys following close behind you.  It's AMAZING how big some guys eyes get when your are suddenly looking at them windshield to windshield rather then nose to tail.  I still give thanks for the guys who managed to miss me, again and again.  I managed spin 4 or 5 laps in row before finally getting the message that that particular speed secret did not unlock any hidde path to glory.  Oh well. Live and learn.   These days I'm a HUGE fan of leaving the suspension well enough alone. Believe it or not the factory gets it right or right enough for Lemons racing 99% of the time.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Spud wrote:

I'm a HUGE fan of leaving the suspension well enough alone.
Spud

ok, that's just crazy talk.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

29 (edited by st_rage 2010-01-25 04:09 PM)

DaveH wrote:

I was writing about how those calculations aren't right and your motion ratio calcs looked wrong... until I figured out it was calculations for the swaybar.  You forgot that the swaybar is attached to a spring on the other end, not a rigid point.  It's essentially transferring spring rate from one side to the other, while absorbing some of that rate in the bar.  I'm sure that if I had enough time to spend on it, I could nuke out something that would approximate how it works, but it would be a much bigger spreadsheet and not worth nearly the amount of time it would take.

And I think your calculations are squaring and square-rooting stuff a lot of places they shouldn't.  A spring rate of 622 lbs/in with a motion ratio of about 0.5 should result in a wheel rate around 311lbs/in, not 162.

When it comes to swaybars, analysis is generally more work than its worth.  Just test it and make sure the car handles ok.

The extra squareroot and squares for d1 and d2 are because I used the pythagorean theorum and photoshop to get the relative lengths of the pivots from the image of the lower control arm.  I was too lazy to crawl under the car.

Wheel Rate = Motion Ratio^2 * Spring Rate

I never understood this either until I found it explained like this:
"Squaring the ratio is because the ratio has two effects on the wheel rate. The ratio applies to both the force and distance traveled."

Of course while I was looking for that quote I found this:
http://buildafastercar.com/tech/Sway-Ba … Calculator

It correlates pretty well.  I think the difference is that they consider the bending stiffness of the arms.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

RobL wrote:

When the endlinks break - are you going to keep going or stop to fix them?

It's Lemons!  Keep going!

DaveH wrote:

I was writing about how those calculations aren't right and your motion ratio calcs looked wrong... until I figured out it was calculations for the swaybar.  You forgot that the swaybar is attached to a spring on the other end, not a rigid point.  It's essentially transferring spring rate from one side to the other, while absorbing some of that rate in the bar.  I'm sure that if I had enough time to spend on it, I could nuke out something that would approximate how it works, but it would be a much bigger spreadsheet and not worth nearly the amount of time it would take.

And I think your calculations are squaring and square-rooting stuff a lot of places they shouldn't.  A spring rate of 622 lbs/in with a motion ratio of about 0.5 should result in a wheel rate around 311lbs/in, not 162.

When it comes to swaybars, analysis is generally more work than its worth.  Just test it and make sure the car handles ok.

The last two sentences of this post hit the nail on the head.  Just build it with a sufficient range of adjustability and tune it to your needs on the track. 

The calcs for the simple U-type with adjustable blades sway bar on our FSAE car were two pages long, and that was with a lot of assumptions and simplifications.  When we bench tested it, the "as-built" rate was different from the designed rate by about 35%.  Fortunately we had designed it with  +/- 50% adjustability so we still had plenty of room to tune with.

Testing, tweaking and retesting is definately the way to get to the right answer.  The problem is that we've got 0 adjustability and about as much available test time. 

The calculation wasn't to optimize the bar so much as to get a reference for how crazy it was.  I've seen some 22mm "performance" bars for the integra.  They are about half our rate.  I'd be more concerned if they were 1/100th.  We'll see how it does.  Worst case is that the driver has to reach back and unbolt it during the race.

st_rage wrote:

Worst case is that the driver has to reach back and unbolt it during the race.

That we need a camera for.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

34 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-01-25 07:01 PM)

actually, assuming that 22mm bar and your ~28.5mm bar have roughly the same wall thickness (something i don't see included), shape, and material properties, your bar is ~180% stiffer than the 22mm bar.

whatever...it'll be fine.  i want to see how it turns out.

oneday wrote:
st_rage wrote:

Worst case is that the driver has to reach back and unbolt it during the race.

That we need a camera for.

we need to go back to the days of onboard mechanics.

12+-time loser

ST_RAGE: I am very impressed in your innovation. Don't take what some of these guys have to say too much to heart. This is Lemons. Its a fun class to try ideas that you have in your brain. If it doesn't work the way you thought then that is part of the fun and you get to try something different for the next race. You have given this much more thought than we have. We also put a jeep sway bar on our car. Only ours was on the front of our E30. It worked great. If you take things too seriously you will miss the point of Lemons. Go out, try your creations, and modify from there. Keep up the good work. Im sure you will see more cars in the future with a sway bar mounted very similar to yours. I know you at least have my imagination going for our pinto and it may have a similar setup on it.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

36 (edited by st_rage 2010-01-25 09:51 PM)

Winging it wrote:

ST_RAGE: I am very impressed in your innovation. Don't take what some of these guys have to say too much to heart. ....

Don't worry.  I know they're just jealous.  Judging from the similarity in the size of wings mounted to our rooves (is that a word? or is it roofs?), I think we're on the same wavelength.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_bTX2MCbyz4c/S157Ol2fo4I/AAAAAAAACcw/a6qm8ubpClU/s400/civic_in_action.jpg

Spud wrote:

Reminds me of when I lowered my ITB Pinto (don't snigger, people raced them back in the day when I still had hair) so far that the rear axle bottomed out on the rubber snubbers.  When you went over the top of Turn 8 (Madness) at MidOhio the suspension would go full solid and you IMMEDIATELY were facing back the way you came.  It was fun for everyone but the guys following close behind you.  It's AMAZING how big some guys eyes get when your are suddenly looking at them windshield to windshield rather then nose to tail.  I still give thanks for the guys who managed to miss me, again and again.  I managed spin 4 or 5 laps in row before finally getting the message that that particular speed secret did not unlock any hidde path to glory.  Oh well. Live and learn.   These days I'm a HUGE fan of leaving the suspension well enough alone. Believe it or not the factory gets it right or right enough for Lemons racing 99% of the time.

Spud

i've made that backwards trip (got tagged mid corner).... That was a major "OH SHIT" moment to have the whole pack catch up to me when I was facing the wrong way!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Winging it wrote:

ST_RAGE: I am very impressed in your innovation. Don't take what some of these guys have to say too much to heart. This is Lemons. Its a fun class to try ideas that you have in your brain. If it doesn't work the way you thought then that is part of the fun and you get to try something different for the next race.

don't be mistaken:  i think we are all squarely behind these guys, even if some of us will give them a wide berth on track.  wink  but we also want to be able to give them a lot of grief if it doesn't work.

12+-time loser

Civics are easy enough to get neutral via other means; we really don't need a sway bar on ours. A set of $20 eBay coilover sleeves, a selection of used springs (ended up using springs from a set of D2 coilovers off of a Nissan 240), and set the camber by lowering it (try -2 in front and -1.5 in the rear to start with). Minor adjustments to tire pressure or adjustable shocks (if you can get a cheap set) take care of fine tuning.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

40 (edited by Eyesoreracing 2010-02-02 11:15 PM)

Looking for a stiff, adjustable bar? Mazda3 rear bar, big adjustable arms welded on, lots of adjustability, and settings can easily be changed during a normal pit stop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/eyesoreracing/Lemon/sccp_0902_19_z24_hours_of_lemons_sc.jpg?t=1265179015

Nice.  Our limited shot at snaking the endlinks between the upper control arm and spring keeps us from copying that or else we'd do it.

42 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-02-03 08:53 AM)

Yes, it is known fact with the FWD race crowd that you definately can have too stiff of a rear bar and it results in all sorts of problems from oversteer, lifting of the inside rear wheel off the tarmac on entry, etc. All the problems make you go slower.  Ultimately you want suspension compliance ( the suspension that keeps the tires firmly planted with as much equal pressure as possible). For some reason people think stiffer is better when it may not be, you want the suspension to work not be so stiff that the car slides around corners, that's why cutting springs and huge fat sway bars are not always the hot set- up

ifb_mole wrote:

Yes, it is known fact with the FWD race crowd that blah blah blah

Be quiet you.  His set-up will be perfect in the rain.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

You can all eat your words now.  The car set-up was about as awesome as you could expect an 88 Civic with a giant counterweight bolted to the roof to be.  We actually were pulling some of the fastest laps for the first few hours of the race ON THE WET TRACK!

smile  you guys were indeed pretty quick.  i'm glad it worked out for you...well done!

12+-time loser

Buzz Killington wrote:

smile  you guys were indeed pretty quick.  i'm glad it worked out for you...well done!

Totally agree, you guys were tough to get by.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

47 (edited by Loren 2010-02-08 08:43 AM)

Interestingly, your stiff rear bar was transferring weight to the outside front (and to the inside front to a lesser degree), keeping the front wheelspin and understeer down.  I think the notion that such a big rear bar could cause oversteer, especially in the wet, is absolutely true... but your wing provided either downforce or extra weight over the rear, which kept it planted!

Overall, a good combination.  Wish I could have seen it!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

48 (edited by st_rage 2010-02-09 08:31 AM)

The car was a blast to drive.  A little bit exciting because our steering rack was loose and provided about 60 degrees of dead zone in the steering.  The left hander and the following right were exciting because you needed to start turning the wheel a good 2-3 seconds ahead or normal to take up the slack.

I think our real advantage was that we ran our Toyo T1R's instead of the Azeni's we had.  I think they did better on the wet track.  Once the track dried out the other cars got fast.  I went off track (embarassingly, twice) trying to keep up with cars I was passing in my first stint.

isn't cutting open the rear of the car somehow not going to pass tech?  Exhaust gasses?  Fuel tank / lines ?  I like the idea, but was not aware  you could have gaping hole in your trunk w/o some sort of bulkhead or firewall separating you driver from it.

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

Loren wrote:

... but your wing provided either downforce or extra weight over the rear, which kept it planted!

Overall, a good combination.

Shhh. The wings don't do anything at all. They are only on there for looks duh.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria