Re: Miller Finale. Who's towing and how far.

SpaceFrank wrote:

What time does the track open on Thursday, and what time will folks be arriving? I'm looking at flying into SLC, and I've gotta decide if it's worth a little extra money to get there earlier than 11 PM.

We showed up in the early afternoon.  I think they let us in at about 2 PM (maybe earlier).  We had a garage and RV spot reserved and they had a guy show us where to park.

They have quite a few permanent staff (plus the go kart track), so I think they keep normal business hours.  I don't think you'll have any trouble getting in regardless of what time you show up.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

Van, what you're saying is true for last year, but maybe the staffing is going to be reduced because this is actually the last RACE at Miller, not just the last Lemons? Might be a skeleton crew...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

...this is actually the last RACE at Miller, not just the last Lemons? Might be a skeleton crew...

If they shut off the power and water before we get there and lock us out of all the buildings, it'll feel just like The Ridge.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Type44 wrote:

Van, what you're saying is true for last year, but maybe the staffing is going to be reduced because this is actually the last RACE at Miller, not just the last Lemons? Might be a skeleton crew...

Was curious to see whether we could pretend like we were at Shea Stadium and rip out the seats afterwards but alas, we're not the last

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/ev … sduro.html

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Type44 wrote:

That could be true.  I'm sure the facility will be open (they do have garages rented to people and there are businesses located on the premises) but I'm not sure what access for Lemons racers will look like.  Their biggest issue is people parking their tow rigs, trailers, and cars all over the place.

Are you guys bringing that huge, horrible, German car again this year?

Van

mharrell wrote:
Type44 wrote:

...this is actually the last RACE at Miller, not just the last Lemons? Might be a skeleton crew...

If they shut off the power and water before we get there and lock us out of all the buildings, it'll feel just like The Ridge.

Haha, so true.

'96 Dodge Neon, a.k.a. "Neon Pope" - 20 Lemons races - 1 Class B win

stimpyvan wrote:
Type44 wrote:

That could be true.  I'm sure the facility will be open (they do have garages rented to people and there are businesses located on the premises) but I'm not sure what access for Lemons racers will look like.  Their biggest issue is people parking their tow rigs, trailers, and cars all over the place.

Are you guys bringing that huge, horrible, German car again this year?

Van

Budget precludes caging anything more suitable, so yes. Look for the rolling chicane in a corner near you...

Type44 wrote:

Budget precludes caging anything more suitable, so yes. Look for the rolling chicane in a corner near you...

Rob, be sure to come by and have a beer or a drink with us.  Maybe Carl will complain about you guys holding him up again.

Van

Likely towing from Danville, CA, so joining the gaggle of Bay Area folks doing 1.400ish mile r/t. Race car might stay in Park City after the race or come back to Danville. So many unknowns at this point. And oh yeah, we still need to acquire a race car. Close on that bit, but deal not sealed just yet.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

We should have a huge caravan of RV's, trailers, dollies and trucks from the Bay Area...lol

That would be epic.

'96 Dodge Neon, a.k.a. "Neon Pope" - 20 Lemons races - 1 Class B win

Back to the "how far..." issue...

FINALLY. 45 minutes from the house to the track. Not the 12-14 hour tow we usually need to do. Glad to see all of you who are making the haul!

Garage space is open for rental now, btw.

And you all are practicing your Chinese, yes? Nihao!

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

37 (edited by ninjacoco 2015-09-29 08:22 PM)

~1300 miles, flying in from Austin. No Porschelump in tow, but IT'S FREAKING MILLER. (So excited. Haha.)

I'll have to find Air Power's garage and drool a lot.

38 (edited by SpaceFrank 2015-09-29 09:27 PM)

I'll be landing at SLC around 8 PM Thursday. Looks like I'll need to detour into downtown just to find a liquor store that's open until 10.

SpaceFrank wrote:

I'll be landing at SLC around 8 PM Thursday. Looks like I'll need to detour into downtown just to find a liquor store that's open until 10.

here you go:

closest, open late
205 West 400 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84101 - Monday - Saturday, 11:00 am to 10:00 pm

for Friday and Saturday, in Tooele, it's at 433 North Main St., 11am-7pm (M-Sat)

in SLC, but may have bigger/better selection than Tooele (I haven't checked), go to 1255 West North Temple. Same hours as Tooele.

For those who aren't familiar with Utah likker laws, beer sold in stores is in the 3.2 range. Beer sold in liquor stores (unrefrigerated, and let me tell you, people COMPLAIN rightfully about this) is higher alc content, along with the "flavored malt beverages" that are usually lower alc content (oh my gosh, my kids might see these in the store and want one!)

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

Actually, there also appears to be a duty-free store in the airport. Hopefully I can get there from my arrival gate, and the cops don't confiscate my "imported" booze the second I step out of the airport.

SpaceFrank wrote:

Actually, there also appears to be a duty-free store in the airport. Hopefully I can get there from my arrival gate, and the cops don't confiscate my "imported" booze the second I step out of the airport.

Most real duty free stores require your international ticket or other proof.

jkfoto wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

here you go:

closest, open late
205 West 400 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84101 - Monday - Saturday, 11:00 am to 10:00 pm

for Friday and Saturday, in Tooele, it's at 433 North Main St., 11am-7pm (M-Sat)

in SLC, but may have bigger/better selection than Tooele (I haven't checked), go to 1255 West North Temple. Same hours as Tooele.

For those who aren't familiar with Utah likker laws, beer sold in stores is in the 3.2 range. Beer sold in liquor stores (unrefrigerated, and let me tell you, people COMPLAIN rightfully about this) is higher alc content, along with the "flavored malt beverages" that are usually lower alc content (oh my gosh, my kids might see these in the store and want one!)

Thanks for the heads up, (Rob heads to liquor store on way to get in the tow pig tomorrow morning. And by liquor store, I mean the corner Safeway, selling everything from PBR to absinthe, two aisles of booze, open till midnight.... We've got it good in AZ smile

OnkelUdo wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

The fact that it's a duty-free store is secondary to the fact that it sells liquor. I don't mind paying sales tax.

SpaceFrank wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

The fact that it's a duty-free store is secondary to the fact that it sells liquor. I don't mind paying sales tax.

No, in my experience, you cannot buy without the proof...at all.