Re: NASCAR door bar design guidelines

meyers0150 wrote:

Just so you know our car was a minivan. I'd email Jay or John before you start cutting.

Very much so in the plan.  The only "benefit" we have is we can pretty much prove there is no actual structure in our van (really, anywhere)...watch the crash tests to see.

I like the constant radius door bar idea. Where do you buy an affordable tube roller/ bender though?

There is also the idea of making tube overlap pass through cuts halfway into one tube so you're only half cutting one of the tubes to say make an x bar. You get 1.5 tubes at the intersection vs 1 the typical way. The other continues through uncut. I see how and why this way is stronger but I'm not sure most tech inspectors would know what to do or what's going on there. Not very easy to do on some bends either.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

jrbe wrote:

I like the constant radius door bar idea. Where do you buy an affordable tube roller/ bender though?

There is also the idea of making tube overlap pass through cuts halfway into one tube so you're only half cutting one of the tubes to say make an x bar. You get 1.5 tubes at the intersection vs 1 the typical way. The other continues through uncut. I see how and why this way is stronger but I'm not sure most tech inspectors would know what to do or what's going on there. Not very easy to do on some bends either.

On the bender, any of the JD Squared Model 3 or their copies work very well.  You have to be able to mount it and the best way is a pedestal that you can bolt down in the middle of a big open space (at least a 10' radius).  The real thing is about $325 shipped on ebay and plus around $250 for the die.

I have the Woodward Fab copy.  When I got it the combo was about $100 less for the combo (1 3/4" in my case) and it came with a degree wheel that was extra on the JD2.  We did have to bevel the edges of the follower die to keep it from creating chatter marks and even then, liberal use of grease was important.

I meant something like this so you can roll a single radius bend in a door bar or whatever.
http://boltontool.com/image/cache/data/fabrication/TR-50-800x800.jpg

http://boltontool.com/TR-50?search=TR-5 … oCCybw_wcB

Anyone have experience with one of these or similar for building cages? I'd find one with proper sized rollers, I'm curious how much the roundness of the tube is distorted as it rolls the bend.

jrbe wrote:

I meant something like this so you can roll a single radius bend in a door bar or whatever.
http://boltontool.com/image/cache/data/fabrication/TR-50-800x800.jpg

http://boltontool.com/TR-50?search=TR-5 … oCCybw_wcB

Anyone have experience with one of these or similar for building cages? I'd find one with proper sized rollers, I'm curious how much the roundness of the tube is distorted as it rolls the bend.

I have never seen one of those capable of doing greater than 1".

With a regular bender you can do a continuous radius...sort of.  You calculate the total amount of bend, dived that buy the "shackle" width on the bender, bend that many degrees then move one shackle width, rinse repeat.  This will probably take a couple attempts but it should work.

jrbe wrote:

I feel like any time you cut into a bar you will lose significant structural integrity.  My "x-bars" are two separate bars where one has a slight bend that clears the straight bar giving two full diameters.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I just went through this with my Supra and decided on an X-bar after much reading. The original was a straight X with one continuous tube and two shorter tubes to complete the "X". It was routed straight from the A-pillar to the main hoop.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/revvhappy/Cagepaint1.jpg

The new version is 2 continuous tubes that are welded together and then tacoed. Stronger (all joints meet at nodes), meets all race series specs, much easier access, and more room for the driver when a window net is in place.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/revvhappy/door%20bar%202.jpg

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/revvhappy/9e73272c-188f-4ae3-857a-68f5d1be0730.jpg

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

revvhappy wrote:

The new version is 2 continuous tubes that are welded together and then tacoed. Stronger (all joints meet at nodes), meets all race series specs, much easier access, and more room for the driver when a window net is in place.

We are considering doing this on our car to avoid the hassle of the b-pillar notch and to (hopefully) avoid gutting the entire door. We're trying to keep the stock glass and hand crank for the time being.

What (rough) angle are those two tubes bent at?

The angle to bend the tubing is something that can vary. It's depended on the width of the door opening and the desired mounting height you want the tubes to attach to the down tubes and where you want the bends in the two tubes to mate up.

I suggest you get some PVC pipe of the same general size and by heating it up with a "hot air" gun" or some other heat source you can then bend it to shape and determine the best angle. The bow outward is simply accomplisher by twisting the two tubes. You have to figure out the angle to notch the tube ends to get a good fit. Again use some scrap tube or PVC pipe to determine the angle of the notch.

That's a handy tip. I like that but I'm sure Ben would want to use "geometry" instead. Freaking engineers and their math-based "knowledge."

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

36 (edited by Spank 2016-01-26 09:53 AM)

FWIW, I got lambasted for suggesting to someone that they heat pvc pipe to make it bend for mockup. Something about dangerous fumes or whatev's.

(My experience is that it doesn't do what you want it to do and stinks like holy-hell).

Just take 2 straight pieces of whatever and make your angle. Measure that angle. Bend your tube a few degrees shy. You can stick pipe back in the bender and increase the angle but you can't straighten it (much) afterwards.

aside: I've got Bend Tech 3D EZ software that helps figure this maths stuff out. But I still do the method I describe above for many door bars.

You can get electrical conduit at home improvement stores. That can be used to try pieces before just going for it with dom.

Delinquentracer, did you gusset the 2 x bars together? I get what you're saying, I'd love to see a pic though.

gumert wrote:

What (rough) angle are those two tubes bent at?

I'll ask my cage guy, he may still have the paper it was written on. I was present during the work, but Dave uses computer software after taking basic measurements between mounting points.

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

Hi,

We decided to keep the current X and add  NASCAR bars outside them.

I might want to cut out the X some time in the future, is there any issues with this?

Can I just go crazy with my angle grinder?

Thanks

Team RicerZX
1980 Datsun 280ZX NA

swedishmeatballracing wrote:

I might want to cut out the X some time in the future, is there any issues with this?

Thanks

No, you can't. Don't touch any bar that is to remain. A sawzall would probably be the better tool here.

ross2004 wrote:
swedishmeatballracing wrote:

Thanks

No, you can't. Don't touch any bar that is to remain. A sawzall would probably be the better tool here.

That depends in large part on your acuity with the cutoff wheel. One can get quite surgical with a cutoff wheel with experience, whereas a sawzall is always a brutally effective yet blunt instrument by comparison.

Don't get me wrong, they both have their place in the demolition toolbox. I prefer the cutoff wheel when revising roll cages if I can make it work because it makes for less cleanup on the cage afterward. IMHO, YMMV, standard disclaimers and long distance charges apply.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

jrbe wrote:

Delinquentracer, did you gusset the 2 x bars together? I get what you're saying, I'd love to see a pic though.

I did not gusset bars together. The first pic is of the latest build with intended X-door bars. I wouldn't have welded them together, but one of my team mates got happy with the welder when my back was turned. I'd rather not heat the bars in the middle, so as not to lessen their strength. My fault for not making my vision clear.http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/GGolsan/image_zpstkjcvqvt.jpeg
This pic is of an add in bar from when the rules changed to require X- or NASCAR door bars on passenger side.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/GGolsan/image_zpsjvarrdjr.jpeg

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Drivers side door bars. I've been reading about different ways to do door bars. Can you go through b pillar like the white car that's in this thread ?  Just the top bar? I really like that idea.thanks kids http://i68.tinypic.com/2lnkcp0.jpg

44 (edited by rodknox2 2016-02-25 01:07 PM)

Yeah, but you must tie it to the main hoop.  That pig raced for many years in Lemons before being put out to pasture.  That pic is the birthing of Lipstick on a Pig.

That really isn't going through the B-pillar, kind of going around the outside of the main structural supports.  Seems like a cool design that would provide lots of interior space.

I would be hesitant to actually cut into the main part of the b-pillar.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix