Re: Ranchero Crash?

shouldnthave wrote:

Like anything, it all depends on the cars/drivers at play, and I wasn't trying to make a blanket statement.  It's simply the rules. No touching.

Absolutely...you are within almost all the rules if there is no touching.  The only thing they can nail you on is "overly aggressive" driving (or don't be a douche).  I am sure some team has gotten a black flag for that without physical contact but it certainly would be the exception and not the rule.

Target Fixation is a bitch.  Ever pass a car on the highway, be distracted by a bumper sticker on that car, and find yourself almost in their lane as you're passing them?

If a bumper sticker will do that, imagine what a one-eightied Ranchero will do. 

As for blame?  I wasn't there, but in Lemons, remember, everyone's at fault.  Looking at the videos, there's something every driver could have done better, and the cascading effect would be that wreck never would have happened. 

We have 2 HANS devices on order.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Not the best video but you can kind of see how the visibility was at that point. Our car coming up on the crash right after it happened.

https://youtu.be/CadWblOEfD4

54 (edited by fleming95 2016-02-22 12:27 PM)

mechimike wrote:

Target Fixation is a bitch.  Ever pass a car on the highway, be distracted by a girl in a tube top, and find yourself almost in their lane as you're passing them?

Not personally smile - but, in all seriousnessity, target fixation like that _was_ mentioned as a memorable anecdote either in my MSF class or sometime soon after I started riding, with a painful accident out in front of a high school as a result.

And when I've fallen out of the motorcyclist's mindset of 'always have a way out', that's when I've had my closest calls - and black flags.

Also, when I feel that tightening up and target fixation, I'll actively look away from the pothole/gravel patch/attractive nuisance and force my view back down the road to where I want to be.

Ya see, eventually, I figured out (for me) that the whole endurance 'racing' game is not to get where you're going as fast as possible, but to avoid going where you _don't_ want to be for as long as possible - I only wish I were better at it!

55 (edited by fleming95 2016-02-22 12:21 PM)

<double post>

56 (edited by VKZ24 2016-02-22 12:52 PM)

capt_blotto wrote:

Not the best video but you can kind of see how the visibility was at that point. Our car coming up on the crash right after it happened.

That literally enlightens my perspective a bunch as to why the Corvette driver possibly couldn't avoid the head-on.

I know that near the end of the race at Barber, the sun is right in your face on the back straight and you feel like Ray Charles, or at least I did.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
capt_blotto wrote:

That literally enlightens my perspective a bunch as to why the Corvette driver possibly couldn't avoid the head-on.

I know that near the end of the race at Barber, the sun is right in your face on the back straight and you feel like Ray Charles, or at least I did.

The sun at barber was bad!
I drove both days at the end and it was a case of recognizing that there were cars ahead but impossible to identify the car so approaching traffic made lane selection very difficult. Also very difficult to judge closing speed so a stationary black shape would have looked just like a slow to fast moving black shape.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

VKZ24 wrote:
capt_blotto wrote:

I always get the last stint of the day.  Driving up that effing hill at Sonoma is treacherous.  I feel like I need the auto darkening visor from my welding helmet.

bs

bshorey wrote:

I always get the last stint of the day.  Driving up that effing hill at Sonoma is treacherous.  I feel like I need the auto darkening visor from my welding helmet.
bs

I taped the top of my face shield so I can nod my head a little and cut a nice line right above the track.
When the shield is open one finger at the bottom it is out of the way. Snap the shield down for maximum coverage.

It's surprising how little of the shield we actually can see out of. I put the helmet on and made some marks with a sharpie. Taped it and tried it again. Kept adding tape until it was just out of my peripheral vision and made a nice line on the horizon.

Then I discovered I had a balaclava stuffed in the top of my helmet (oops...) so the line is a little lower than I'd like. Not an issue with the visor is one finger up. Snap it down for those later afternoon sessions at Willow when turn nine, one, and two become blinding.

Racing into the sun sucks no matter how you deal with it.

jiggermyster wrote:
bshorey wrote:

bs

I taped the top of my face shield so I can nod my head a little and cut a nice line right above the track.
When the shield is open one finger at the bottom it is out of the way. Snap the shield down for maximum coverage.

It's surprising how little of the shield we actually can see out of. I put the helmet on and made some marks with a sharpie. Taped it and tried it again. Kept adding tape until it was just out of my peripheral vision and made a nice line on the horizon.

Then I discovered I had a balaclava stuffed in the top of my helmet (oops...) so the line is a little lower than I'd like. Not an issue with the visor is one finger up. Snap it down for those later afternoon sessions at Willow when turn nine, one, and two become blinding.

I used to run with the visor cracked open, to keep my glasses from fogging.  But after reading about a driver in another series who's in the hospital dealing with facial burns due to having his visor up, I think I'll find another way to keep my glasses from fogging.

Good idea on adding something to the visor.  Thanks.

bs

Motocross visor works too.  Just dip your head a bit to block the sun.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

This looks like another example of turns not being set up for 3-cars to go through at once. Unless you have an awful amount of faith in all three cars/drivers, you're going to have a bad time.

From the edited clip, it looks like a faster pair split to overtake - so the BMW and rx7 both got themselves in that position. Ranchero isn't to blame. Given the BMW on the inside, and how he should have been cranking left to get into a line, he probably should have been the one to brake.

Auto Lemon Union www.facebook.com/autolemonunion     
'11 - Point, Sweat, Skank; '12 - Point, Sweat, Vodden, Freeze, '13 Point (+even), Turrible, Vodden, Freeze, '14 Problem, Point, Turrible, Vodden, Freeze, '15 Point, Lemonites, Freeze.

63 (edited by cdickman12 2016-02-28 08:38 AM)

bshorey wrote:
jiggermyster wrote:
bshorey wrote:

bs

I used to run with the visor cracked open, to keep my glasses from fogging.  But after reading about a driver in another series who's in the hospital dealing with facial burns due to having his visor up, I think I'll find another way to keep my glasses from fogging.

bs

The guy on the team who does our vinyl does this to every car makes a big difference for that ugly turn two.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSP16/0 … _6092.html

Edit - having problems with the image link.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

cdickman12 wrote:
bshorey wrote:
jiggermyster wrote:

bs

The guy on the team who does our vinyl does this to every car makes a big difference for that ugly turn two.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSP16/0 … _6092.html

Edit - having problems with the image link.

Oh, yeah. Big window strips are awesome.

'Lump needs a new windshield, but when I can finally get one installed, it's getting another banner at the top with something. "Parsh" or "Puffalumps" or whatever. Or even just duct tape across the top like the owners of 'Lump 1.0 did. Any shade helps, and you're not blocking off much that you'd need to see unless a car is literally flying in front of you.

65 (edited by jiggermyster 2016-02-28 06:53 PM)

Here's a sunny afternoon at Willow.
We spent most of it under full course yellow while they cleaned up the mess in two.
Okay by me. I wasn't going to set any best laps in that sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-uPfXjrZVc

ed: btw, that's a Ford Ranchero that goes flying past us late in the session at around 21:57.
He was crazy fast, like 1:24 fast.

jiggermyster wrote:

Here's a sunny afternoon at Willow.
We spent most of it under full course yellow while they cleaned up the mess in two.
Okay by me. I wasn't going to set any best laps in that sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-uPfXjrZVc

ed: btw, that's a Ford Ranchero that goes flying past us late in the session at around 21:57.
He was crazy fast, like 1:24 fast.

OT: I love *your* car. 911 FTW!