Re: Common Tech Failures. UPDATED W/PIX

Mulry wrote:

I think that would be sufficient. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Pete was using a "roof" that was comprised mainly of duct tape. Of course, I don't know if he was using arm restraints or not.

It's alternated between corrugated plastic sheeting, duck-tape and drip pans, depending on what happened to be laying around at the moment.

And yep, we always use arm restraints.

V2.0 of the duck-tape roof is in the works. It will be glorious, removable and utilize the factory mounting hardware much like tSoG mentioned in his post.

And with any luck it wont stick to my hair this time.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Sparky Pete wrote:

Well, you did get a haircut....

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Sparky Pete wrote:

V2.0 of the duck-tape roof is in the works. It will be glorious, removable and utilize the factory mounting hardware much like tSoG mentioned in his post.

I'm not sure I want to know why you thought sitting on the homemade roof was a good idea.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Sparky Pete wrote:

http://monkeydungeon.com/images/straight%20jacket%20cotton%20webbing.gif

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:
Sparky Pete wrote:

http://monkeydungeon.com/images/straight%20jacket%20cotton%20webbing.gif

Damn. Same ones I use.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Are these approved reinforcements & floor plates?

tSoG wrote:

spreader plates? I found an "approved" kit for my next project, but I'm not sure if the spreader plates will be acceptable as such.
are these acceptable?

This is the front footer, with a nifty little extra reinforcement.
http://www.miatacage.com/images/thumbs/0000172.jpeg
Main hoop has perch and floor plate
http://www.miatacage.com/images/thumbs/0000177.jpeg

Another question involves sunroof/convertible tops.

3.20: No Open Sunroofs: All sunroof openings must be covered by either the original sunroof panel; a new panel securely fixed into place; or securely fixed mesh with openings no larger than 1/2-inch each.
3.21: Open T-Tops and Convertibles: Arm restraints are required when driving an open T-Top or convertible.

I'm not trying specifically to avoid arm restraints, but I want to find out if a homemade removable hardtop, made from fiberglass, and a lexan rear window, or louvers to maintain reward visibility would acceptably cover "new panel securely fixed into place" It will utilize the factory convertible latches on the front, and either the trunk latching mechanism in the rear, or the removable hardtop mounts in the rear.

It's more of a theme/comfort related need than safety, because arm restraints are still on the agenda, but I want to make sure the idea is acceptable before spending too much time on it. if there is absolutely nothing I can do to make a fiberglass hardtop pass tech, then I won't bother trying.

82 (edited by jimbbski 2014-02-08 09:01 PM)

The first picture you posted looks very neatly done but I  think there is not enough surface to the footing. I would add some flat steel plate to either side of the mount on the vertical section of the rocker. That way any load/impact will be spread over a wider area.  The second should be acceptable by any racing body.

The inspections have gotten a little tougher.  Jay failed our cage this year, which passed the year prior.  It failed because the bottom drivers side bar was too low.  It was even with the rocker panel.  He allowed us to do a quick fix at the race so long as we implemented a more proper cage before the next race.  The height of the bottom bar is not in the rules so make sure it is above the rocker panel as you will fail.  It does make common sense from a safety standpoint.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

since i can weld, i always bring my rig to the track. this yr i fixed 4 cars that had failed tech. i used up about 20' of DOM i had lying around and a 3'x4' sheet of 1/8" plate. EVERYTHING these cars failed for was right in the rule book. luckily we were able to get them all in the race. if your going to a race any distance from home, do your homework, or tech can be a grueling day LOL . i would definitely advise to get someone that can build a cage to do it if you don't have the tools or experience. it pays off in the end with a safer and more user friendly car to drive. much easier to get in and out of, and hopefully no problems with tech and works if you ever need it. if your at a track and need a weld, come see us. we have the pinto beans \X/ ... we will hook you up.