26 (edited by DRVOLKS 2016-09-07 12:23 PM)

Re: Strange camber reading after lowering

I do a lot of testing on my car with camber and toe . I have developed the first IPhone alignment tool AlignitPro  for this kind of problem so I am on a rack weekly testing and track testing.
First get that camber the same, right front is bent or some thing when you swapped out parts not lined up?
The rear thrust angle need to be adjusted to 0 yes the rear toe should be the same at 0 or out a bit.
Then string that car you will most likely find it is out of wack .
Bob Mann

On an E30 you're given one alignment adjustment from the factory: front toe. Everything else is Bavarian perfection.

You can slot the front strut bolt holes to give you camber adjustment. Rear is a little more involved. For that you'll want a set of these. Two pair would be needed for both camber and toe adjustment.

Seriously, that right front camber reading is where you need to look. Every BMW of that vintage I've aligned, is around 1.1 deg neg camber, the slammed ones might get to 2.2... Look carefully at everything, strut mount, LCA ball joints, everything. You have something glaringly wrong, I just don't know what, from here.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

I can't seem to find anything that jumps out at me,  I think I'll have to chock  it up to crash damage and replace the strut assembly after buttonwillow, or notch the bolt holes and dial the camber back out without identifying what's actually bent

theinvictus1 wrote:

or notch the bolt holes and dial in as much negative camber possible

Fixed that for you

haha, the thing already wears the front tires preferentially fast, no need to accelerate it.... then again would tons of camber add to the theme?   maybe I need to "stance,  stretch, poke, and camber out" this car like all the cool kids are doing....   and of course as a result make the thing truly handle like crap.

Hey there, noticed your post figured I should chime in here. I'm extremely familiar with alignment and if I saw this alignment sheet after one of my techs did an alignment and had a pull, the first thing I would say would be to  cross rotate the front tires and see if it pulls in the opposite direction. pulls are normally created by caster being off, a more negative caster, a stronger pull to that side because that wheel is back than the more positive on that same axle. There are obvious other reasons, locked up brake caliper, seized bearing, even lower ball joint issues. The most common if caster is even and yours is, would be a radial pull, which most often will increase with speed. If the pull is to the right, the steering wheel correction is to the left. Flip flopping front tires will let you know immediately, good luck.

I'm throwing new tires on it next week and I'll see if it changes, I have also started to suspect that the pull is tire related

running outta time on this one,  just 1 weekend until butt-turrible,  i  have tried to further diagnose the pulling problem:

I have discovered the following:    the car will pull hard left  after making a hard left, until you make a hard right in which it will pull consistently to the right until you make a hard left again.
you can hear a pop if you run the wheel lock to lock with the car stationary or moving slowly.

something is moving, and throwing everything out of whack... any ideas?

ohh also, the stupid car if failing smog, it passed with flying colors 2 years ago.   I tested it 2 days ago and it failed on CO and NOX,    today I put the stock ECU chip in ( took the $30 ebay unit out)   and now it only fails on C0.  the max is .65 and i'm measuring .69 .    the only thing I can think of it I did switch to a cooler temp thermostat and switched from 2.91 to 3.71 rear gears since it was tested last.

I am starting to wonder if i forgot the washer that goes on top of the bearing,  that would cause a bind I believe.   one question, would forgetting a standard thickness washer cause the camber to change by an entire degree?  that could explain my funky camber reading?

Tierods loose?  Steering rack bolted down?

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

37 (edited by jrbe 2016-09-21 05:43 PM)

Check for sticking tire rods or ball joints. They can stick / bind randomly and make for some interesting steering resist feeling moments.

The steering rack could be doing something similar.

Strut /spring bearings could be sticking too.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

theinvictus1 wrote:

ohh also, the stupid car if failing smog, it passed with flying colors 2 years ago.   I tested it 2 days ago and it failed on CO and NOX,    today I put the stock ECU chip in ( took the $30 ebay unit out)   and now it only fails on C0.  the max is .65 and i'm measuring .69 .    the only thing I can think of it I did switch to a cooler temp thermostat and switched from 2.91 to 3.71 rear gears since it was tested last.

It just barely failed on CO.  Leaning it will cause NOX to go back up.  Some of the tricks I've used are:

Adding some methanol to the fuel.  They are measuring byproducts of gasoline combustion, not methanol.  You need to drain the fuel afterwards as the stuff can be corrosive.
Change the oil.  Old oil contains combustion nasties which cause CO to go up.
Pump up the drive tires to 60lbs - reduces rolling resistance
Disconnect an out of sight injector and plug it into a spare so it doesnt throw a code.  It will run crappy but it turns that cylinder into an air pump diluting the rest with air.
Drill small holes in exhaust post muffler.  Draws air in to dilute tailpipe gases.
You are close enough that changing old oil, new plugs and slightly retarded ignition might be enough.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I think it's the rubber mounts on top of the bearings therein, you can see the rubber deform and deflect when you turn the wheel. Swapping new ones in this weekend. As soon as I finish the important stuff ...
Gimmicky props http://i65.tinypic.com/2w2kdpd.jpg

theinvictus1 wrote:

haha, the thing already wears the front tires preferentially fast, no need to accelerate it.... then again would tons of camber add to the theme?   maybe I need to "stance,  stretch, poke, and camber out" this car like all the cool kids are doing....   and of course as a result make the thing truly handle like crap.

The stock spring/strut mount won't let you add any more than about ~-3/3.5* before it hits the strut tower. Set your toe to 0 and you're good to go.

I was being facetious

So....I forgot the washers that go between part that goes on top of the spring and the tower mount with bearings that allow everything to pivot causing everything to bind.   Bearings were shot and rubber was destroyed so everything's new now.

Yep, I've done that before too (minus destroying the strut mount).