Re: Cmp Southern Discomfort-Post a brief synopsis of your weekend.

This 3rd gear only stuff was contagious this weekend! You, SpeedyCop, and Our Top Gear car all were third gear only. We lost ours about 3 hours in on Saturday.

That little yellow Miata was stupid fast though!!!  You got rocket boosters in that thing or what?! By far fastest Miata i've ever seen on track.

Disney wrote:

This 3rd gear only stuff was contagious this weekend! You, SpeedyCop, and Our Top Gear car all were third gear only. We lost ours about 3 hours in on Saturday.

That little yellow Miata was stupid fast though!!!  You got rocket boosters in that thing or what?! By far fastest Miata i've ever seen on track.

Sorry to hear about all the 3rd gear problems. At Nelson last fall we only had 5th gear for the last 19 hours of the race. Except for destroying the clutch getting the car started from a stop with all the yellow flag exercises, it was still quite drive-able!

Disney wrote:

We might have started the trend at South Fall '09 in the #33 and 1 3rd gear Audi Quattro.. lost the clutch after about 30 minutes and ran the rest of the way in 3rd.  Other than push-starting it in the pit and yellow/red flags, you can do amazingly well with just 3rd.

Swede Sixteen Racing - 85 Volvo 740 - Southern Discomfort '10, South Spring '10, South Fall '10,
Southern Discomfort '11 (GRM Most from the Least Winner), Shine Country Classic '11
Quattro Libre Racing - 82 Audi Quattro - South Fall '09

That was our fate. THe clutch broke and won't disengage so we would start it in first then revmatch to get it up to third and then get passes by everything on the track.

Disney wrote:

Stock suspenion, hawk pads blue all around, 17" Michelin Pilot Preceda 205/40 R17 240 treadwear, round K&N filter bolted onto factory mass flow sensor box. If you don't believe me about the suspension look at how high the car sits compared to the red 59 one.

Alot of it came down to our one driver. He races alot of Miata's (SSM in SCCA) and also Spec E30.

gsmith2424 wrote:

Alot of it came down to our one driver. He races alot of Miata's (SSM in SCCA) and also Spec E30.

Did he drive the first stint on Saturday morning in the cold, damp, and slick conditions?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
gsmith2424 wrote:

Did he drive the first stint on Saturday morning in the cold, damp, and slick conditions?

Yes.

Cool. I passed your fast driver.  Torched Sentra springs > stock Miata.

Disney wrote:

Cool. I passed your fast driver.  Torched Sentra springs > stock Miata.

How far in was it as we got blacked flagged at about an 30-40 minutes in? We got hit in the passenger door and had to serve a penalty. Still even then the other drivers were able to turn 1:04-1:05 laps when the car was healthy.

Dood, that car ran a low 1:01.  Fast as crap.  It was a 1.8, right?

Disney wrote:

our MR2 also had only third gear on saturday (bad clutch hydraulics).

oddly, we had the exact same problem last time we ran the car at CMP.  the clutch was fine at NL and fine at our autoX testing sessions, but crapped out as soon as the car entered the state of SC.  we replaced some seals in the master cylinder on sat night and it was better, but then we lost boost so we were still slower on sunday.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

37 (edited by gsmith2424 2010-02-11 01:42 PM)

bob-e wrote:

No its a 1990 with the 1.6 I-4. Car it self has 4.5 races on it (3 at CMP and 1.5 at Stafford yes this car did win the 2008 at Stafford.)

Yeah, I guess that's possible.  Damn thing probably weighs 1800.  Stupid Miatas sad

We lost 1st and 2nd. Killed us in the lefthander. Still had 3rd and 4th down the long straight.

Yeah, we were in the rev limiter at the stripe on the front straight.  Probably a good thing though since we didnt have brakes

<<ya'll get any video of my spin in front of you guys Sunday morning?>>

Sorry, we didn't have any video or camera gear in the car.

ocn wrote:

<<ya'll get any video of my spin in front of you guys Sunday morning?>>

Sorry, we didn't have any video or camera gear in the car.

when i get ours i'll send it to you.  at one point i was facing your car.  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Yes, our Maracas did Rock!  Crew Chief Michael outdid himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2zaRtsFx8s

We had Hawk Blues on the front & Autozone premium semi-metallic on the back.
Both still looked new during Sunday quiet hour inspection,  We are going to mic. them to see exactly how much they wear they have on them.

William
Team SOB

^^^^

Not only did the brakes hold up, they held up with Zig KILLING them for the last two plus hours!!  He was driving in probably 10 car lengths deeper on turn 1 than we did in the Fall race.  The first two drivers on Sunday were "slightly" holding back (yeah, right) trying to save the car for the last banzai run if we needed it.  Last fall we went through 4 sets of front pads, two sets of calipers and rotors, and had two "little" brake fires (refer to Magnum PU's issue Saturday).  This year, you pressed the brakes, you stopped.  Every.  Single.  Time.

The maracas were the result of a late night bout of inspiration, or gas, I am not sure which.  Now we gotta come up with some thing better for the next race...

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Mick25 wrote:

^^^^

This year, you pressed the brakes, you stopped.  Every.  Single.  Time.

What did you change?  Just the Hawk Blues?  What were you using.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

gsmith2424 wrote:
bob-e wrote:

No its a 1990 with the 1.6 I-4. Car it self has 4.5 races on it (3 at CMP and 1.5 at Stafford yes this car did win the 2008 at Stafford.)

Stock 1.6???  Seem to put 3 lengths on our 1.6 in the front straight.  Hmmmmm

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place

Weight reduction, line choice, corner exit speed and late braking could all be contributing factors to that.

IcantDo55 wrote:
gsmith2424 wrote:
bob-e wrote:

We had only one driver that could do the 1:01-1:02 laps. We were able to get good momentum off the corners which really helped keep the speed up plus the one driver was using second coming off the final corner. The only thing that would pick the engine up that we have done is a K&N filter bolted to the stock flow sensor box.

gsmith2424 wrote:
IcantDo55 wrote:
gsmith2424 wrote:

We had only one driver that could do the 1:01-1:02 laps. We were able to get good momentum off the corners which really helped keep the speed up plus the one driver was using second coming off the final corner. The only thing that would pick the engine up that we have done is a K&N filter bolted to the stock flow sensor box.

Guess it just better than our 150K 1.6.  Who knows maybe we lost a few ponys in the last 20 years.  Yours ever been on a dyno or scale?

We would really like to find 20 more hp somewhere before next Lemons.

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place

50 (edited by gsmith2424 2010-02-12 12:22 PM)

IcantDo55 wrote:
gsmith2424 wrote:
IcantDo55 wrote:

Guess it just better than our 150K 1.6.  Who knows maybe we lost a few ponys in the last 20 years.  Yours ever been on a dyno or scale?

We would really like to find 20 more hp somewhere before next Lemons.

My suggestion would be try new plugs and wires. Also inspect the coil packs to check for any damage. This car started running a little rough before the race and it turned out to be the coil pack arching out along with the wire, we changed them and it took care of the problem. I don't know what you run for oil but we run Motorcraft 10W-30 syntheic. That should help some with the power and the rest comes down to how the engine has been ran up to that point.

I do think for the fall race we are working on a possible new car/engine combo that will make the Geo Metro/ Hyabusa swap look like nothing.