Re: Cmp Southern Discomfort-Post a brief synopsis of your weekend.

Weight savings could contribute to performance differences.  I know I drag raced our little FX16 with the yellow Miata at least once down the front straight, and we didn't lose any ground to it.  The Miata is so much better in the corners and in carrying speed, though.  A couple turns later it was gone.  sad

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

gsmith2424 wrote:
IcantDo55 wrote:
gsmith2424 wrote:

No its a 1990 with the 1.6 I-4. Car it self has 4.5 races on it (3 at CMP and 1.5 at Stafford yes this car did win the 2008 at Stafford.)

Stock 1.6???  Seem to put 3 lengths on our 1.6 in the front straight.  Hmmmmm

We had only one driver that could do the 1:01-1:02 laps. We were able to get good momentum off the corners which really helped keep the speed up plus the one driver was using second coming off the final corner. The only thing that would pick the engine up that we have done is a K&N filter bolted to the stock flow sensor box.

"The JoHann"  was damn fast in that car.  i would compare it to a Z06 closing on my E36 at VIR.  if you say there is no CHEATONIUM in that car then i believe ya'll.  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

soldmystang wrote:
gsmith2424 wrote:
IcantDo55 wrote:

Stock 1.6???  Seem to put 3 lengths on our 1.6 in the front straight.  Hmmmmm

We had only one driver that could do the 1:01-1:02 laps. We were able to get good momentum off the corners which really helped keep the speed up plus the one driver was using second coming off the final corner. The only thing that would pick the engine up that we have done is a K&N filter bolted to the stock flow sensor box.

"The JoHann"  was damn fast in that car.  i would compare it to a Z06 closing on my E36 at VIR.  if you say there is no CHEATONIUM in that car then i believe ya'll.  smile

You would have the correct driver.

54 (edited by soldmystang 2010-02-12 06:57 PM)

gsmith2424 wrote:
soldmystang wrote:
gsmith2424 wrote:

You would have the correct driver.

extremely fast down the front stretch.  curious how well he must have been getting off turn 14 to carry that much speed.  smile  by far the most consistently fast car i encountered all weekend.

he damn near lapped me at the end of Saturdays session.  and i was running 1:04s.

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Seems Sunday it got faster!  I guess you guys were not up all night drinking.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/icantdo55/yello.png

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place

IcantDo55 wrote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/i … /yello.png

Heck we were back at the hotel watching the Bud shootout. Friday we were out of the track by 2:30 right after we got through tech.

I like the graph I have never seen that done before though.

57 (edited by Jer 2010-02-13 05:23 AM)

IcantDo55 wrote:

ummm, it got amazingly faster right after the curse was announced. And it wasn't one hot shoe driver, look at the afternoon lappage until they took that penalty and let off.  If they hadn't taken a 15 minute stop early in the race, they would have won by a wide margin.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

nope, no CHEATONIUM in that car.  smile

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

IcantDo55 wrote:

Nice work! Where did you get the lap times for the graph?

Greg
Quattro Libre '84 Audi (Lemons South '08)
The Slammer '87 Milano (Lemons South '09)
The Slammer '87 Milano (Southern Discomfort '10)

On Mylaps you can see the graph of any car in any race.  You can't see the exact lap times unless you own that transponder.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

soldmystang wrote:

nope, no CHEATONIUM in that car.  smile

What's the old saying?  Those who live in glass houses...

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

62 (edited by Disney 2010-02-13 12:39 PM)

..... Don't have 12:1 compression like that Miata?

smile

If I had to guess, I'd say shaved/ported head and a tune, at the minimum. As I don't know for certain, we didn't curse them. Seeming cheaty does not equal cheaty. It was super fast, for a stock suspension 1.6 Miata. Not just the driving either, the other Miatas seemed comparably set up with stiffer suspensions, and the drivers were decent as well, yet the yellow one was faster on the straights. Not filter faster, serious HP difference faster. Oh well, they didn't win anyway, so it was all for nothing.

I do hate the assumption that the fastest cars are cheaters. We are proof that is not the case, yet I'm sure we'd get close to a curse if we led Saturday night.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

we didn't vote for them either.  they were fast but they were clean mostly.

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Guys, put the conspiracy theory and cheating theories down and step back from the computer.  I don't give a shit WHAT they did, its still a 1.6L Miata.  They just don't gain much from the things you would get away with. 

THEY JUST DON'T

I had one for about 3 years, started with 108 whp (intake/header/exaust), spent thousands of dollars (Standalone/Individual Throttlebodies) made 114 hp.  It's just not easy to make a significant power jump in a 1.6 Miata.

That's true, but that car stilled pulled harder than other Miatas. Driven well? Yes. Does that matter when you pull away from other cars on the straight? No. Maybe it's just a good-running example. Maybe it's full of cheatonium. We can only guess. They did drive well, and in the absence of clearcut evidence of cheating, they shouldn't have gotten as close to being cursed as they did. The CMP habit of cursing the leader after one full day is BS. That doesn't mean we can't sit here and theorize as to what makes them faster, though. My buddy has a gorgeous 1.6 Miata, with a built motor. You'd never know to look at it, but it makes almost 50% more power than stock. Saying they can't really cheat in a 1.6 Miata is inaccurate. Saying they didn't is fine, but if you didn't build the car, how do you know for certain?

I try to take fellow racers at their word, being a stand-up guy myself. Sometimes, though, the claims of stock don't match the performance level of the vehicle. Superkak comes to mind.  Other times, the driving makes all the difference. My lap times were 2 to 5 seconds a lap faster than my other drivers. I turned a 1:01.69 Sunday, with a broken rear sway bar and flat-spotted front tires. One was into the steel belts!  Does that mean I cheated, and they didn't? Of course not. Murilee has been saying all along the driver makes the biggest difference in Lemons. He's right. I have the advantage of 15 years of po-po experience, plus more racing experience than they have. I'm hoping they will get faster. They need to for us to have our overall shot.

My hat is off to the Endurance Karting gang. They built a great car, and drove it cleanly. I was proud of being able to hold it off, and like I said, they didn't deserve to be that close to a curse, IMO.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

On the track, I did not have a bit of trouble with the Endurance Karting drivers.  They were faster than us in the turns, but did not cut me off, shove us around, or pinch the corners.  If they passed us in the straights, it was with plenty of room.  While I was watching the race, a couple of the drivers were aggressive in the car, but I only saw one case where it "may" have been too much.  That cost them a black flag.  They were much more conservative after that.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Mick25 wrote:

On the track, I did not have a bit of trouble with the Endurance Karting drivers.  They were faster than us in the turns, but did not cut me off, shove us around, or pinch the corners.  If they passed us in the straights, it was with plenty of room.  While I was watching the race, a couple of the drivers were aggressive in the car, but I only saw one case where it "may" have been too much.  That cost them a black flag.  They were much more conservative after that.

That would have been the one that earned us the We got screwed award or as Jay renamed it We Screwed ourselves award. We passed under yellow as the tow truck was coming in on pit lane. We got it due to our driver in the car gettig the belts undone when he came in but we were going to just get a stop and go but our driver didn't know that.  We were under the assumption that we were going to get a bigger penalty due to the black flag that we did get on Saturday during the first hour of the race after we got hit in the passenger door going into turn 1.  At least this time we now know that you can't pass until the truck is fully on pit lane and not just on the entrance to pit lane. After that black flag we weren't really more conservative but were having to baby the car home due to the transmission losing everything but third.

69 (edited by Speedycop 2010-02-13 03:37 PM)

Mick, one of your drivers inadvertently squeezed me to the outside on turn 14, onto those awful rumble strips. I WAS driving aggressively, so I'm NOT saying they were at fault, by any means. It's a bad spot to go three wide, and I knew it. Next time I passed, the driver pointed me by, and gave me plenty of room. I just wanted to say thanks. Also, congrats on a great race, and a great finish!

Yeah, They didn't deserve a crush. They weren't BLATANTLY cheating and they drove clean. We didn't vote anybody for the curse, but thought about cursing the Diamante for it's terrible driving and what it did to the poor Meineke Celica.

But, I am very very VERY suspicious of that car. It was way faster on the straights than any other Miata i've seen out there. Plus it was lugging around 17" wheels which also hurt it's gearing! THey commented on the 4wd stance due to the extra tall wheels. And they STILL smoked the other M's on the straights. Something smelled very cheaty around that car......

If we squeezed you, Speedy, it was definitely inadvertent.  Our goal was to make laps, stay out of trouble, and have fun.  We spotted for each other on the radios (thanks Ebay!) and tended to keep the driver focused on staying safe rather than killing the car and other competitors.  I pointed a bunch of cars by when they were obviously faster than me, or really wanted that spot more than I did.

Wait a minute, you INTENTIONALLY went 3 wide to the outside coming off 14????

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Speedycop wrote:

You'd never know to look at it, but it makes almost 50% more power than stock. Saying they can't really cheat in a 1.6 Miata is inaccurate.

Sorry but 150 WHP on a NA Miata will get noticed.  Lets say you stroke it, shave the head, RX7 AFM, but if you don't do cams, it wont do much good.  Cams will be noticeable.  Plus the $$ involved for a stinkin' Lemons car just doesn't seem plausible.  I'd love to see your buddies car.

I don't know whether the car was cheating or not (and I don't really care).  If the judges call it legit, then I tend to believe them

ecugrad wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

You'd never know to look at it, but it makes almost 50% more power than stock. Saying they can't really cheat in a 1.6 Miata is inaccurate.

Sorry but 150 WHP on a NA Miata will get noticed.  Lets say you stroke it, shave the head, RX7 AFM, but if you don't do cams, it wont do much good.  Cams will be noticeable.  Plus the $$ involved for a stinkin' Lemons car just doesn't seem plausible.  I'd love to see your buddies car.

I don't know whether the car was cheating or not (and I don't really care).  If the judges call it legit, then I tend to believe them

They know this car quite well. They have gone over this car quite a few times checking just about everything. When this car ran stafford in 08 (had 15" rims then) the car was called in because teams were thinking it was runnign cheater tire (<190 treadwear) and when we were it was shown to all we had 340 threadwear. More than likely we will be back to the 15" tire as those are the 340 and this time the 17's were at 240. The BFG's we have just really hold up better and we can almost get 2 whole races out of one set. But the 17's we had this time were about shot so they really wouldn't work good for us for the May and September CMP races due to the heat.

ecugrad wrote:
Mick25 wrote:

^^^^

This year, you pressed the brakes, you stopped.  Every.  Single.  Time.

What did you change?  Just the Hawk Blues?  What were you using.

Last year:
- Used pads of unknown origin that came with car in Front and Rear
- Used rotors that came with car in Front and rear
- Fresh DOT4 fluid; all 4 corners bled

This setup looked good, and worked really well last Fall for about 4 hours.  Then the left front wore down to the backing plate.  This overheated the caliper, which blew the seal, which caught on fire when the fluid hit the hot rotor.  When the caliper went out, the brake pedal went all the way to the floor, which damaged the seals in the Master cylinder.  We struggled the rest of the weekend, with multiple pad/rotor changes.  The only bright spot was my wife bringing me a powdered sugar scone when we finally threw in the towel Sunday afternoon.  Our team of go-kart drivers learned the hard way about the need for strong road-race brakes.

This past race:
- New ebay front rotors, freshly turned used rear rotors
- New Hawk 9012 Blue pads up front, New Autozone premium pads in rear.
- Correctly bedded in pads & rotors
- New ebay Master cylinder
- Ghetto cooling ducts to each front rotor
- Fresh DOT4 fluid; all 4 corners bled.

This setup worked really well.  We still need to measure the parts to see how much we really 'consumed', but they probably will be good to go again for at least another full day.

William
Team SOB

ecugrad wrote:

I had one for about 3 years, started with 108 whp (intake/header/exaust), spent thousands of dollars (Standalone/Individual Throttlebodies) made 114 hp.  It's just not easy to make a significant power jump in a 1.6 Miata.

i find this hard to believe.  there are plenty of STS-class autoXers making 120whp+ with bolt-ons and a megasquirt shoved in the stock ECU case.  plenty of CSP-class autoxers are making 150+whp on stock internals/head.  it would not be that hard to get 130whp out of a covertly-modded 1.6L.

that said, they drove cleanly, so i don't really care if they are cheatin'.  that's why we have Jonny and Phil.  but that doesn't mean we can't speculate.  smile

our curse vote (if we submit one) usually goes to a team that drives like jerks.

EK drove cleanly and seem like good guys.  i don't think they were ever on our curse radar.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11