Re: K Komeback

Oh I ain't saying it isn't cool. It just doesn't "Inspire Confidence"

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

152 (edited by EyeMWing 2019-02-05 07:26 PM)

Team Infinniti wrote:

Aside from the big trans leak, what made it feel, "This is actually dangerously bad"?

Lack of visibility and total lack of guts.

The first is definitely down to cargo load, and the latter probably is as well.

I was literally 100% going to get run over by a truck.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

It's really not an Ideal over the road vehicle. But then....K cars never were.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Would a lighter load, fix leaks and checkup of the basics, run codes/check timing make things better?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

It’s more the aura of the thing. It’s inherent jankyness. Coupled with your own personal limits and previous experience.

We did timing and other inspections on the 2.5 before we put it in. We just forgot about the speedo cable hole. It’s just a gutless engine. Thats why the V6 was swapped into it before. Once the cage gets up to current rules it will be fine (as fine as a K ever will be) for the track. Like all race cars, it’s a compromised situation to run it on the road, I don’t ridicule or question anyones decicion not to drive it on the street when a trailer is an option.

There are times to push out of your operational comfort zone, but on the street in a car full of hard surfaces and pointy edges right near your head, with out even the minimum of street clothes and gear safety considerations designed into the interior isn’t one of em. And being fully race kitted up and sinched in also isn’t at all safe on the street since on a track you’re going with the flow, there’s very little oncomming and cross traffic or pedestrians to look out for.

The K left my yard yesterday, under its own power with Sasha at the wheel. Reportedly, it is in fact not totally suicidal at highway speeds in the dry.

I fixed the transmission leak. The dipstick was hung up on a cable and not quite seating right. That's... Impressively embarassing. Almost don't want to admit that, since I was the last one to touch it. Twice.

I couldn't find where the VSS is on the trans, but all the info I can find is that it was an electric sender for 1989, so the chances you guys removed it are, in my judgement, slim.

It is still dropping ATF from the cooler connection, and it's also dripping coolant from the radiator. Both of those are probably loose hose clamps.

Sasha took it to the Sputnik Skunkwerks for a once over, and then it's off to... Well, you'll see where.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Yea those hoses were....marginal. I could have sworn I pulled a Speedo cable off the engine when we took it out, it did have a "Distance Sensor" for the ECU but the dash was cable.

Well Sasha will tend to it.

Also as for the dipstick, it was too damn cold to think.

EyeMWing wrote:

It is still dropping ATF from the cooler connection, and it's also dripping coolant from the radiator. Both of those are probably loose hose clamps.
Sasha took it to the Sputnik Skunkwerks for a once over, and then it's off to... Well, you'll see where.

Yea, the judgement for what was leaking was to run it and see what formed puddles. I'm not surprised a few sprung up, but glad it's on to its next adventure!

88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!"
Touched by the K-car

Schweeeet!! More K adventures!!

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

K is currently on the road south.

WOOOOO!

K made it to Florida! Everything went surprisingly smooth, which probably just means the K is plotting something...

Assume it has dark plans.

Nice!  Thanks for the update.

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

Glad to hear it!