Re: THE PEOPLE'S CURSE RAN!!!!!

Eyesore Jay wrote:
bob-e wrote:
FreeRange wrote:

Half of the fun of this series is FINDING the car!  Diamond in the rough.  Ask the Frankenmiata guys how to find a Miata for $500 bucks... Answer:  Buy two wrecked ones and weld them together.  THAT is Lemons to me

That would be Lemons to me too if the math didn't add up to $1400 for 2 Miatas.  I just don't see putting those together and selling the scraps off for $900.

First, go here and read each page: http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t25699/

Then--consider the blue basket case Miata that we bought for $200. We sold $1800 worth of parts off that pile. Paid for our cage right there.

I stand corrected.  Very nice.

77 (edited by harrisracing 2009-06-08 07:19 PM)

Thanks for finding two VERY bad condition miatas to prove my point. One needs a motor and the other is wrecked up like hell with every different panel a different color and 210k mile automatic?! Wow good examples of winning cars that haul ass down the straight and around the track (sarcasm)!

Again, you prove to me that miatas are beyond the scope of the race for my said reason - THEY AREN'T Lemons, THEY ARE AWESOME MOTORSPORT CARS...there are a few more styles of cars that I'd add to that list as well.

haha, "grow a set". That's funny that you are defending the yellow-bellied bastards that ran!

I was recruited to drive the 280Z car. I ran the fastest laps on my team on both days and ended both of my sessions AFTER PASSING said black miata. Not to mention that I also passed the entire field 3 times aside from 2 cars. And I did it in a REAL Lemons car. I've owned AND built 25 cars myself (aside from my new EVOX), I know how powerful a "120HP" miata is around a track. That car had the fastest lap time...it was the fastest car...the best choice for a cheater Lemons car with reliable stock parts in near-stock form...but you can't find that for a legitimate $500.00...sorry. Not to mention the chances of finding 3 in a row.

Hey again, It was the people's choice, not just mine...

Patrick

No, I am defending the other miata teams that don't suck... John's team (2 miatas), frankenmiatas.. I dont think your cars are cheaters

I've been campaigning Miatas in Lemons ever since 2006 at AMP -- when I stumbled on a free car -- yes, 100% free.  236,000 miles and it didn't run (because of a burned out coil).  Trailered it home and a $20 pick-a-part trip later, it was ready for it's tranformation for Lemons.  I found another Miata for $500 that "had a loud knocking noise form the engine" -- according to the owner.  It was a broken water pump impeller shaft.  $30 to fix.  They are out there -- I have 12 of them in a file that I bring to tech, just to prove my point.  In fact, I may buy another one (our team's 3rd car) next weekend for $350... and it runs!

Stop ragging on Miatas and BMWs... and learn to build and prep a car.  Learn to drive.  Learn to compete, but at the same time, learn to share in the knowledge you gain with those who are deserving.  That means those who don't whine.  That means those who work at it.. trying and failing and trying again.  You apparently don't qualify.

What a waste of a post.

Hey Matt -- Hey Erik -- let's go get some BBQ.

John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

Follow-on:  I know the Frankenmiata is 100% legal and it deserved the Reno win it earned.  Great job!  I know that Team Scaliwag is also 100% legal.  Great bunch of people!  As for my two Miatas... I'll pay anyone $500 if they find one item -- 1 item -- that's illegal on my cars and verified by Jay Lamm. 

Any other teams out there willing to put their money where their mouth is?

John

That's fine...campaign your miatas. I really do hope they do well (so well that they too get crushed). I hope we run into you guys (literally) in Houston.

haha I love the learn to drive and build and prep car comments...this is golden. smile

You guys are funny!

Patrick

82 (edited by harrisracing 2009-06-08 08:29 PM)

Fastest laps and best speed at the start / finish line by teams in order:

2    BLACK WIDOW    1:30.205    71.836
33    RED ROCKET RATNEST REVIVAL    421    1:31.291    70.982
59    SERIOUS BUSINESS MOTORSPORTS    1:32.031    70.411
93    RACE HARD RACE UGLY    1:32.499    70.055
45    LOW BUDGET RACING    1:32.732    69.879
94    RACE HARD RACE UGLIER HDGB.COM    1:32.766    69.853

I don't feel bad at all being #4 on this list in a real 1979 Z car on 205's. It should be noted that ALL of these cars typically pulled me on the straight pretty hard.

See you guys track side in Houston.

Patrick

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4622/ia3yp.jpg

By the way, we had a GREAT time at this event and met a ton of new people. Sorry if some of my competitive edge came out here, but it's just what I think is the scope of this event and what isn't. We partied until 3 am 3 nights in a row and got out and raced our butts off. BBQ'd up and drank beer like good ole cajuns should. If anyone met us, you know we were having a good time. Just looking at the results has me scratching my head.

This is the car's 3rd event, but my first. We will have a well-oiled machine of a team and strategy next time, but will be rocking the same old lemon.

Perhaps we will theme it up next time and get some costumes.

Don't want anyone to get the wrong ideas about us as a team here.

Patrick

No argument, Matt.  Just throwing a gauntlet to see who else out there wants to put their money where their mouth is, before (or after) they start spewing about Miatas or BMWs or Geos.   Build and prep and focus and driving is everything.  Granted, 4th in Houston may be great on paper... now let's see what's under the sheet metal that got it there?  Legal?  Sunday morning were were 3rd overall at Reno and I'm willing to let anyone look under my kimono. ;-)

harrisracing wrote:

Perhaps we will theme it up next time and get some costumes. Patrick

WHAT???  No theme?  Then it wasn't really a Lemons car.

87 (edited by harrisracing 2009-06-08 08:46 PM)

I'm sorry we did have a theme.

"under the radar"

yeah it was perfect...no one really even noticed that we had a car there at all. No attention, no blag flags, just some medals for the best Z car at the end...everyone was thinking, "which Z car was that?"

Patrick

Well, then... Bless You My Son.

Come on out to California some time and I'll treat you to the first beer.

John

I think anyone with a real competition license should be banned they're all whiners.WAH WAH WAH

I don't want to build a car a because it might get crushed!!  Then apparantely you must be very aggressive and have a lot of Road rage .
Or I don't want to get it all dented up !!!  wah  wah  HTFU

This race is all about having fun ! 
AS the drivers meeting and  pits get filled with nicer firesuits with guys names and blood types. The more arguments you hear in the pits w/ lieberman and other judges . In which I think when the judges see those fancy pro racers they  get all excited for a really F$%ked up thing to do to those guys .I LOVE THAT !

And all those pro racer guys always go half assed on there themes  actually they suck .Some house paint there cars put Stickers on and there is our theme .Don't think of shit .
I personally think if your theme is not altering your aerodynamics then it sucks .When My car was the caltrans car I had a 5gal jug on the roof and 4 ft street signs for rear spoiler . That car came in 6th place out of 91 @AMP and it looks it

AS for $500 miatas they are out here in Ca. A guy down the street has a sandwiched one for $400

I just got a 96 northstar cadi for $300

If we ban certain cars that would suck I got 2 civics and they run in the pack when they are on course It seems like sometimes 50' wide is not wide enough for my drivers!!

REMEMBER THIS FOR FUN! 

The look on the faces at the bank when you deposit $500 in nickles(which is right about 100lbs) is priceless!!!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

fabtoys wrote:

And all those pro racer guys always go half assed on there themes  actually they suck .Some house paint there cars put Stickers on and there is our theme .Don't think of shit .

While I agree with this for the most part...  John C. and the guys from Geo Gnome are shining examples of REAL racers.. that get it.

I'm sure there are more, but these guys clearly know their racing.. and clearly know the POINT of Lemons smile

And you Matt are on the member of the Aerodynamic Altering Theme Team .
John and the gnome are great racers out there totally got the Lemons down.
There is always going to be cheaters but cheaters never win in Lemons .
Soon we are going to have to get like club presidents of every make car to police at the BS judge inspections.

penalty laps for themes that suck!!!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

bob-e wrote:

That would be Lemons to me too if the math didn't add up to $1400 for 2 Miatas.  I just don't see putting those together and selling the scraps off for $900.

Me either, $900 actually sounds cheap if you have 2 Miata's chock full of stuff to sell that you do not need to run a Lemons race.  I parted my 91 out after I blew the motor at a HPDE at CMP and made some VERY good money.  Every little bit of the car sold on ebay.

Death by 1,000 papercuts or something like that.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

93 (edited by Jer 2009-06-09 07:11 AM)

Our Miata, currently sitting at a $80 investment (Car was $900, purchased sight unseen after noticing the hardtop, replaced the clutch for $160 shipped, a windshield washer tank/motor for $15 shipped, and a rear passenger hub for $55 shipped ---it had a dead wheel bearing).  The hard top you can see in the photo sold for $1050 after I buffed it out and waxed it.  There is more than one way to bring a legal Miata.  We're being smart, leaving this one bone-stock despite having lots of money under the cap. 

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t271/Surferjer/Miata1.jpg

ta da.  The list of things wrong with this car is immense, but nothing we care about as racers.  A/C is dead, windows don't go up/down well, antenna broken off, windshield leaks terribly, wipers barely move, heat shield rattles, radio sux, paint is horrible, big holes in rockers, mismatched tires on pitted out wheels, torn up seats/interior, etc.  Drove the price down, but again, nothing we care about.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I bought a totaled 1.8L Miata for $1700, sold $1400 worth of parts and still had the motor, trans, diff, coilovers, roll bar, two sets of wheels and tires and brakes left to swap onto two other Miatas--I'll be selling my old 1.6L soon (if anyone wants one).  I know someone that bought a sorta-running Miata for $500....they are out there.

I don't doubt that these guys managed to build this car for $1000-1500, which should have netted them 50-75 laps. If it means that BS needs to dole out more laps at BS then so be it (I was surprised to read they only got 25!). I know I saw other "cheater" cars out on the track at CMP in the spring that clearly did not get enough laps and sandbagged the first day to keep from drawing too much attention. So, maybe these guy mistake was not proper strategy on day one--where is Ross Brawn when you need him?

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

No doubt that those Miatas are out there.  I never realized that there were so many <500 buck cars out there until we decided to field a Lemons car.  You can find almost anthing you want to race.  It is all in the documentation.  I just feel that when people show up in those cheater cars, they better have a good story and evidently they did because they were only penalized 25 laps.  This is just taking away from the sport a little bit if you ask me.  The BS judgement was meant to keep the playing field level as well as the curse in my opinion but the process is not a controlled one and some will slip through the cracks.  I think my team and I may start looking for a old ferrari to run next spring.  Hey, if we bought it for 40K but sold 39.5k worth of the unneeded shit, it would be legal right?

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

I ran with this team in both Texas races. I remembered them being fast but not jerks on the track. I dont remember them being sociable but hell there is alot of teams that didnt want to participate in pit activities. I dont agree with them "getting the hell out of Louisiana" because they were cursed...again, but I understand why they left. I actually felt sorry for them after the second crushing. I'm looking forward to the next Texas Race and Patrick showing everybody his "most awesome" driving skills.

Remember folks, it supposed to be fun.

1980 Chevy Malibu Classic

you think there would be easier to find $500 Miata back east with salt ,snow and rust .

Whoever said passing 40+ cars in an hour wasn't fun?!

I'm JUST finally getting really good at racing. I've been putting down very solid times at this track in various cars over the years and actually instruct out there now. I know that track VERY well and have home field advantage. 3 guys on our team had raced competitively before, one did lapping days a few times, but the others were completely green (like borrowed helmets green). I am only on the local circuit as that's all I can afford to do with 3 kids and an awesome wife that I really like to spend time with.  I run a 1991 MR2 turbo that runs right up there with the Corvettes, Trans-Ams, etc at our local circuit. I have built a lot of cars and have lots of years at autox. Ironically, this performance was my best driving ever and I think I have a right to be proud of it. I drive better with a target in front of me to chase down, and there were lots of them to drive with. I was cordial and smooth while being fast with those cars. I don't see how anyone out there can NOT be having fun even if it's just watching the race from a very good point of view. I'm not saying I am taking this seriously either, I did it big and had a blast.

My only issue here is that I don't think a mazda miata is a lemon. It's THE MOST RACED CAR IN MOTORSPORT HISTORY. A bulletproof, reliable, fuel-efficient, race-ready platform in near showroom stock condition.

And remember, our fuel filter clogged twice AND an injector got stuck. We lost almost an hour trying to get those things right...I think we are falling right into what this race is all about. Shoot, we forgot to gas the thing up at the beginning of day two and had to buy tires off of our neighbors. We didn't come out there to win.

BUT, I will bring the mad bag of skillz to the table in houston and see what this biscuit has got out there. Our group is really just comparing times to each other to see how our skills call out. IT IS FOR FUN! Come meet us and you will like us!

Patrick

right before they bolted.....
http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/Lemons09/IMG_0198.jpg

It's a Miata, get him........

If you look close you can see the tails between the legs!!!