Re: Street Legal-ish Lemons

EriktheAwful wrote:

All you silly people who live in states where they actually inspect the safety of cars. Here in Ohio, I only have to pass the emissions test every two years. When I eventually get my Lemons project underway, it will totally be streetable.

All you silly people that have to have the state look at their cars! Here in Oklahoma they don't inspect. Anything.

That said, I did get pulled over in my heavily ported RX-7 the day I put dual 2 1/2" pipes on it.

The first words out of the cop's mouth were, "That thing sounds like a chainsaw."

To which I replied, "Yes, it does."

Surprisingly enough, they only do emissions checks here in Commiefornia (which are the worst in the union).  Only time you need a safety check is on a reconstructed/salvage title.

Either way, drives on the streets are nowhere near the test that a track is.  Take it to the track and whale on it for an hour or two straight.  If the rods stay inside, you've got a winner!

Wait you guys have to have your cars checked?  Here in oregon (outside of portland) the biggest check you have to go through is if you build your own car and they make sure you have lights.  Other then that, nothing at all.

cbustapeck wrote:

One thing to keep in mind: if your car is street legal, you can *gasp* actually drive it once or twice before you get to the race. You might even throw a bearing then, rather than on the parade laps before the race.

Salt---->wound

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

rockwood wrote:
EriktheAwful wrote:

All you silly people who live in states where they actually inspect the safety of cars. Here in Ohio, I only have to pass the emissions test every two years. When I eventually get my Lemons project underway, it will totally be streetable.

All you silly people that have to have the state look at their cars! Here in Oklahoma they don't inspect. Anything.

That said, I did get pulled over in my heavily ported RX-7 the day I put dual 2 1/2" pipes on it.

The first words out of the cop's mouth were, "That thing sounds like a chainsaw."

To which I replied, "Yes, it does."

Surprisingly enough, they only do emissions checks here in Commiefornia (which are the worst in the union).  Only time you need a safety check is on a reconstructed/salvage title.

Either way, drives on the streets are nowhere near the test that a track is.  Take it to the track and whale on it for an hour or two straight.  If the rods stay inside, you've got a winner!

Wait, let me get this straight. All the lovely, rust free cars that around here we'd happily buy, that Murilee features in "down on the junkyard", that people talk about being "difficult to pass inspection", and the only inspection is emissions? That's just wrong.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:
cbustapeck wrote:

One thing to keep in mind: if your car is street legal, you can *gasp* actually drive it once or twice before you get to the race. You might even throw a bearing then, rather than on the parade laps before the race.

Salt---->wound

Sorry.

Of course, I'd likely be the one who threw the bearing on the drive to the course.

the Q45 still had tags and the 914 does as well, I plan on driving it on the street occasionally, what could possibly go wrong?

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

Wisconsin laws are very liberal as well.  I got plates for the Camaro so we could AutoX race the car at the local events without having to drag out the car trailer each time.  Car still has all its lights, a quite exhaust, etc..  so its all legit.  Better still I used our Lemons car to get  free pizza during the Papa Johns Camaro=free pizza giveaway.  Priceless!!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

we've run 3 races with our 249k mile rustbucket (MIDWEST SALT MUCH?) e30.  Here it is this morning pullin DD dooties in its flat black(NL amish) camouflage...

I think the only non-street legal thing is that it no longer has an emergency brake.

http://www.racingskin.com/wp-content/uploads/shartanl.jpg

Westyside wrote:

Has anybody had any luck getting their Lemons on the road in a legal-esque fashion?

Not only is our Peugeot licensed for the street but it's insured too!

we had to remove a clogged cat on our mustang, and we are required to do emissions testing in Portland Oregon. If I lived 50 miles west or east I could plate it and drive it no problem, well, except that when I was gutting the dash I removed the signals, the horn (removable wheel), the dash with VIN, etc.