Re: Most Severe Build Injury?

mikespeed95 wrote:

broke hand this weekend :-/

Ow.  Sorry to hear that.  Might we ask how?

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Twisted my ankle working on the Cadillac, and a couple other minor injuries.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

mikespeed95 wrote:

broke hand this weekend :-/

Get well quickly.

And might I suggest using a hammer next time.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

my left hand got crushed by a prybar (we were in a hurry it happens) and due to the pain my right hand naturally flailed top of hand into the fender breaking bones then i cried like a little girl and now i cant even tie my shoe

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

took a pointy hood pin in the leg. I was climbing out of the engine bay of our race truck and slipped....  neat.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/bfreehill/P1060626.jpg

owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Bfreehill wrote:

took a pointy hood pin in the leg. I was climbing out of the engine bay of our race truck and slipped....  neat.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/ … 060626.jpg

Please tell me you got a tetanus shot!

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Slit my finger almost to the bone with a new razor blade.

Wrapped gauze and electrical tape on it and it's as good as new ( except for the not bending part )

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine

Always keep a tube of Super Glue handy.  Better than having to stitch it up yourself!

"Don't mess with Lexas!"
Former Captain, Team Lebowski

he would have needed a case of glue for this cut.....

forddragracer wrote:

he would have needed a case of glue for this cut.....

I just removed the bandages and I still have a finger. 

Only 1/4" deep and 1.5" long.  Not too bad actually but it bled like a face cut.

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine

*sigh* done it again.  In the 6 months I've been working on this wartburg I have now put the angle grinder through my index finger knuckle no less than 7 times.  4 on the left hand, and as of today 3 on the right.    I should learn to stay away from this tool but then again it has been by far the most used tool on the project so I dont have much of a choice.

I should learn to wear heavy gloves maybe...but I seem to be unteachable.

Today was one of the bad ones, down to the bone, friend asked about tendon damage but since I had a good clear look at it I can say it wasnt damaged.  Every time it happens with the flap disks which I suppose is a blessing since they move so fast the burn through and mostly cauterize the wound.  But as I've become all to familiar with its a pain to heal since it reopens every time I forget and bend my finger.

Just whining about today's events.  Didnt stop me from picking it back up and finishing some more fab.  I've only got 4 weeks left..no time for slacking.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

Best deep cut response is rinse with water and or brake cleaner and wrap a bit of clean paper towel in electrical tape and you are good to go for 8 more hours

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine

This last week I skinned my wrist pulling a coolant hose loose and then put a small gouge on my knee with some fresh cut angle iron when I was lengthening the ramps on my trailer. Still, not bad injuries for the length of the car build.

I don't think heavy gloves is proper safety practice for cutting/grinding materials. As I recall from the shop days, they will snag the garment and wrap themselves up in it drawing it closer, tighter aka deeper. Raw flesh it doesn't snag or pull in.

Someone correct me if this is incorrect. I know it's counter-intuitive, but that's the only reason it has stuck with me.

Spank wrote:

I don't think heavy gloves is proper safety practice for cutting/grinding materials. As I recall from the shop days, they will snag the garment and wrap themselves up in it drawing it closer, tighter aka deeper. Raw flesh it doesn't snag or pull in.

Someone correct me if this is incorrect. I know it's counter-intuitive, but that's the only reason it has stuck with me.

No you are absolutely correct which is why I dont wear them and take my cuts.  I have alot of folks try to tell  me otherwise but theres much more risk of greater damage with a spinning object catching a glove than just giving you a cut.

(knocks on wood) So far just the usual cuts and scrapes. At least this time I'm not catching hell from the significant other.  big_smile

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Shattered the tip of my right index finger last night while trying to knock out a punch pin to fix our wobbly shifter.  stupid hammers.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

Spank wrote:

That is also one of the reasons that I don't wear my wedding band.  I have two friends who are missing thier left ring fingers below the knuckle and my Dad was lucky once.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I keep promising my wife I'll get my wedding band tattooed on. I very rarely wear mine because I'm always working in the garage.

RobL wrote:

That is also one of the reasons that I don't wear my wedding band.  I have two friends who are missing thier left ring fingers below the knuckle and my Dad was lucky once.

I'm familiar with the "no gloves" rule when working around rotating tools/machinery, but how does a wedding ring pose a threat?  I'm having a hard time imagining the circumstance where a ring on your finger would get sucked in before your finger itself?

sac02 wrote:
RobL wrote:

I'm familiar with the "no gloves" rule when working around rotating tools/machinery, but how does a wedding ring pose a threat?  I'm having a hard time imagining the circumstance where a ring on your finger would get sucked in before your finger itself?

Its not just rotating bits, rings can get caught in all kinds of places.  Common issue when I worked on aircraft was literally someone slipping off a wind and trying to catch them selves.  Ring would snag on a rivit or other item as they were falling and pull the whole finger right out of their hand.

Rings can also get crushed and cut off bloodflow to the finger before you can figure out how to cut it off your hand.

sac02 wrote:
RobL wrote:

Your ring may not get sucked in before, but if it gets caught/snags it will rip completely off.  In my dads case - he reached over a saw blade, grabbed some wood that brought his hand down onto the blade.  The blade cut his hand and marked his ring - if the blade had caught onto his ring, it would have taken his finger off and thrown it across the room somewhere (think of it like a baseball machine)...  My other friends were not as lucky.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

uh, My ring is made of tungsten carbide... It's Hella stronger than anything in or on my body, and is the equivalent hardness of most tool steels. Pretty much guaranteed to take SOMETHING with it if it decides to go. The upside is smashing pressure. It could probably keep my finger from getting crushed, as it's not soft enough to deform from impacts. Downside is that it's brittle, and would probably shatter instead. If it's enough to shatter the ring my hand's done for as well. It comes off and goes on the shelf next to the door and some tight-fitting Mechanix gloves go on. I'm also paranoid enough to keep all the guards attached, and the spinny stuff on a plane going away from me.

small burns, bruises, and cuts all over my hands. all worth it. I wear safety glasses and gloves. helmet when welding (all exhaust / overhead welding is done off-car if possible).