Re: Most Severe Build Injury?

About 20 welding jiggets down sleeves of welding jacket and down my back. The ones that bounce off the skin like flat rocks off water then Jigget settles to a nice burn.

welding jiggets in the ears

Dropped tubing on big toe lost nail OOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHHH!!!!

Does marital issues due to building cars count .

The whole Mothers day race is always an issue .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

77 (edited by Evil Genius 2010-05-31 08:42 PM)

I do this for a living... and the list I could post is quite long.....

Where to start?

When I was 11ish years old I was sanding some random piece of wood on a belt sander, probably a model part.  My dad had taught me how to clamp the sander upside down on the bench so it could be used as a bench belt sander.  So I was sanding away when I over-reached and my left forearm got drawn into the sander between the belt and the rear part of the guard (hand held sanders have a guard that wraps around the belt like a fender) it sucked the loose skin of my arm (grab the skin on the inside of your forearm and tug) and sanded through about 4 square inches of skin before I could turn off the sander.   There was blood everywhere.  I was home alone, my mom was out somewhere and my dad was out of town...   There was no way to get ahold of anybody.  This happened in 1974 and was pre mobile phone.  Oh, did I mention that we lived on the island of Guam at the time, rather far from medical help?   I walked over the neighbors and knocked, the neighbor lady answered the door, looked and me and promptly fainted...   I eventually was driven by the Military Police to the Hospital and had to have a skin graft....   Still have the scar.

Overhead welding on a car that was on a lift.  A large droplet of metal fell and some how got caught between the laces on my left boot, it burned right through the boot and into my foot, I was hopping around trying to get my boot off while the guys that worked for me were looking at me like I was crazy.   The doctor looked at it and said something like  'it is nicely cauterized and removing the metal is pointless, keep it clean'     I still have the metal droplet in my foot ( I know this due to another injury that had nothing to do with cars that involved x-raying my foot) and I still have the scar...

Got run over by a class A motorhome.  Yep, went under the front wheel. Got my leg crushed and ribs broken..  It spontaneously started as I rolled under it to look at a starting problem... it was left in gear by the guy who parked it...    That was a close one...   No scars, well physical ones anyway, I still shiver when I see a 15 year old Winnebago...

Metal in your eye.....   You don't know its there until about 3-4 days later when it starts rusting and you get a reaction to the rust...   

Smashed fingernails... use a tiny drill-bit or  a hot needle to pop a hole into your nail. It releases the pressure and the pain diminishes instantly... Some advise, don't do this while wearing your new khaki dockers as the blood can spray with some force...

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Here's a new one: weld spatter up my nose. 

I hate welding upside down and I'm not very good at it.  I'm building a rotisserie for the next project.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I might have a shot at this one if you count test drives.  After our team registered for Gingerman in April we got the engine in the car and finally took it around the block for a spin.  I was unharnessed/unhelmeted and it was dusk Easter sunday.  The guys heard me run though a few gears and I didn't see a 4" cut in the pavement...hit a tree drivers side at 50-70mph (estimated).  I lost two days in the trauma unit (jaws of life...trauma...drama...blah), though the guys said I've never been in better spirits during those two days.

Lacerated 3x extensor tendons in L hand, had surgery....supposedly i kept trying to knuckle bump the staff with a giant open wound. hehe

7x pelvis fractures.  Okay, that part wasn't funny.  Big surgery, and now my hip is known to all as "the junkyard" with all the metal onboard.

2x Neck fractures.  Also not so funny, but I seem to be healing.

The boys built another car and are out there right now under the name "No Whammies Racing"...guess who the whammy was.

No "sorry to hear that" posts needed.  I'll heal up and be back hopefully late this year.  This thread just had my name on it. smile

BQuicksilver wrote:

I might have a shot at this one if you count test drives.  After our team registered for Gingerman in April we got the engine in the car and finally took it around the block for a spin.  I was unharnessed/unhelmeted and it was dusk Easter sunday.  The guys heard me run though a few gears and I didn't see a 4" cut in the pavement...hit a tree drivers side at 50-70mph (estimated).  I lost two days in the trauma unit (jaws of life...trauma...drama...blah), though the guys said I've never been in better spirits during those two days.

Lacerated 3x extensor tendons in L hand, had surgery....supposedly i kept trying to knuckle bump the staff with a giant open wound. hehe

7x pelvis fractures.  Okay, that part wasn't funny.  Big surgery, and now my hip is known to all as "the junkyard" with all the metal onboard.

2x Neck fractures.  Also not so funny, but I seem to be healing.

The boys built another car and are out there right now under the name "No Whammies Racing"...guess who the whammy was.

No "sorry to hear that" posts needed.  I'll heal up and be back hopefully late this year.  This thread just had my name on it. smile

Yikes!   that's hardcore

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Lesson of the day:
Do NOT accidentally key up the plaz w/ the left hand while cradling the nozzle in the right hand.  It didn't hurt at first, prolly cause the outer layer of skin & nerves disappeared.  But now a couple hours later, it's on fire.

It's nicely cauterized and sterile, should heal just fine.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

82 (edited by Spank 2010-07-19 07:22 AM)

The blade on the chop saw disintegrated while cutting a stick of metal that I was holding. Kicked it and thank goodness I was wearing cheap gloves because I think that''s what prevented my finger pad from being ripped clean off. As it is, it tore a flap up nearly lifting my finger print off of my finger--I duct taped it back down. Weird thing is it was totally numb. I didn't know I had damaged it until I saw blood pouring out of the leather gloves.

THEN while welding while laying on my side, a ball of weld splatter funneled its way down into my ear canal. I could hear it hit the eardrum I think. That one is kinda freaking me out. Hearing doesn't seem to be effected, but it feels weird in there even now some 12 hours later.