Re: Starting a team, how do we get accepted?

Mulry wrote:

Whatever you do, don't announce that you have some crazy car and are starting your build and then don't make the race. That's lame. Better to come in stealthy and amaze everyone at the track than talk big and not show up. Talk is cheap.

Even worse is promising some crazy car, then showing up with your Spec Miata on the trailer and begging us to let you race it "just to get some seat time." Happens a lot.

Is it within the rules to chop a car to shorten the wheel base?

wtfisthat wrote:

As long as you end up with a car that has 4 wheels and was assembled within the $500 budget, it's not only allowed, it's encouraged!

"What could possibly go wrong?"

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Loren wrote:
wtfisthat wrote:

As long as you end up with a car that has 4 wheels and was assembled within the $500 budget, it's not only allowed, it's encouraged!

"What could possibly go wrong?"

I thought about pulling an exaggerated Smoke Yunick Chevelle job on the leftover Subaru chassis we have here.  Instead of 7/8 scale like the chevelle we talked about cutting it down to about a 3/4-1/2 scale and jamming a motorcycle engine in it.

Then I sobered up....

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:

I thought about pulling an exaggerated Smoke Yunick Chevelle job on the leftover Subaru chassis we have here.  Instead of 7/8 scale like the chevelle we talked about cutting it down to about a 3/4-1/2 scale and jamming a motorcycle engine in it.

Then I sobered up....

Then let's go out for some beer.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

31 (edited by Mulry 2010-03-19 11:39 AM)

JThw8 wrote:

Then I sobered up....

Having been present on this forum for the entirety of the Wartburg Saga (among other Misfit Toys adventures), I feel confident in my belief that your version of sobriety is solidly different than most of the rest of us. And most of the rest of us are jealous of you for that very reason. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Lots of GREAT ideas from people who have done FAR more Lemons races than me.....  but heres my .02 anyway

1:  Find a unique car that increases your chances of getting in
     1.1:  It helps if someone on your team is already familiar with said car
             for example I have owned-worked on 928's for 6 years prior to
             building the 928 Lemons racer..
     1.2:  If you team has really good mechanics then it doesn't matter as much

2:  RELIABLE RELIABLE RELIABLE......did I say reliable
     2.1:  Its no fun towing your car home after 1 hour of racing....
     2.2:  Test the car at least TWICE prior to the race....to help correct
             issues you WILL find....
     2.3:   Most "issues" are heat related....as in engine-brakes-oil overheats and fails testing will help identify where excess heat is generated

3:  Performance............as in don't worry about it.....plenty of Lemons racers with
     well under 100hp place very high in the overall standings.....vs only 2 cars
     EVER with more than 200hp have won...EVER.....

4:  DRIVING.....it helps to have drivers who have driven under "race" conditions before....but by far the most important thing is to DRIVE CLEAN....  you will NEVER do well in the penalty box (but it is entertaining for the rest of us)

BY FAR the most important aspect of Lemons racing is HAVE FUN.....do NOT look at the event as a RACE.....its more like a weekend long party where we drive cars around a track since its there.....  With the proper "Lemons" attitude a super fun weekend you will never forget is guaranteed!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Are 4 wheels mandatory? I thought it would be interesting to chop a FWD car in half, keep the front half, and just support the rear on skids, or maybe beefy versions of shopping cart wheels.

My inspiration, for a divorce themed car:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_dlkAw43cLC0/SRwAtyVawWI/AAAAAAAAAEk/uM3WVjkvLQU/s800/divorced-car.jpg

OMG! nice...

He got the front half, so I guess he won

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

RobL wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

Then I sobered up....

Then let's go out for some beer.

You're local, if you wanna help build it I could be convinced.  I think my team just gets a bit scared of my crazy ideas sometimes.  Then again if they didnt keep me in check on some of my ideas I'd never get anything done.

Mulry wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

Then I sobered up....

Having been present on this forum for the entirety of the Wartburg Saga (among other Misfit Toys adventures), I feel confident in my belief that your version of sobriety is solidly different than most of the rest of us. And most of the rest of us are jealous of you for that very reason. Cheers.

Just because our build motto for the Wartburg is "This car ain't gonna build itself sober" ?

Surprisingly this whole wartburg thing has cut drastically into my drinking time.  I try not to play with the dangerous tools while drinking and I've had to play with them alot.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

I'm going to go buy my lemon tomorrow!!!!!!  I found a 1982 datsun/maxima for cheap, it has a knocking motor and some rust, right up my alley!