176 (edited by gills 2015-07-15 11:51 AM)

Re: DIY Cool Shirt

stimpyvan wrote:
gills wrote:

And what size Rule pump does cool shirt use for their system?

Not sure (since I've never seen one), but we are using this pump:
Rule iL200P (link to Amazon)

We had 3 of them (we swap out the entire cooler during a driver change and we have an extra cooler for drivers to hook up to while waiting geared up) and we haven't had a failure yet.  They can occasionally take a while to prime and start pumping, but the flow is more than adequate.

Van

Thanks.

What size ID tube did you weave into your shirts (if you made your own)?

Team Failken: Formula D-Bags: #14 93 Nissan 240sx
Team Pro-Crash-Duh-Nation: #26 '87 Alfa Romeo Milano

Picked this pro-tip up on the other forum, and after reading it seems so intuitive but I hadn't thought of it- wear the cool shirt inside-out to put the tubes directly against your skin.

gills wrote:

Thanks.
What size ID tube did you weave into your shirts (if you made your own)?

I ran 3/8" ID to two Ys (3/8" to 1/4" reducing) then ran 1/4" ID tubing on the front and back of the shirt.

Van

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

I just buy the cheapest bilge pump that Walmart has on the shelf. 

I think it's this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline-Bil … ethod=p13n

Note that if it's been sitting a while, it sometimes needs a whack to wake up from it's slumber (which speaks volumes about how much trust you should put in one of these if you bolt it into your unattended boat).  Kinda annoying if you have to thrash around unstrapping it during the first driver change when the weather is heating up so you can whack the pump.

Seem to recall the tubing is 1/4".  I bought my shirt from Ultrachiller and also bought the female fittings for the cooler from them at the same time.  If I did it over again, I'd probably go with the fitting Van recommends.  If people make their own shirts (I've used both store bought and homemade, both work fine), use male fittings on the shirt and female on the cooler box to be compatible with the commercial ones.  Or go the Spank route and just use barb fittings and pull them apart to disconnect.

If there was one area I'd like to improve on the DIY cool shirt setup front, it would be securing the cooler.  I've got one with 2 ratcheting straps and another with 3.  The straps hold the entire enchilada down and then metal welded to the floor to keep the cooler positioned.  I know how violent flips can be and don't want the driver to survive the crash but not the cooler pummeling him.  It would be nice to have some sort of positive cooler hold-down with something a bit more convenient than 3 ratchet straps to secure the lid for ice replacement/replenishment.  Maybe something quick release pin-ish.  Most anything I can think of involves compromising the water tightness and joining the group of people getting an erroneous BF for leaking fuel.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I just buy the cheapest bilge pump that Walmart has on the shelf. 

I think it's this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline-Bil … ethod=p13n

Note that if it's been sitting a while, it sometimes needs a whack to wake up from it's slumber (which speaks volumes about how much trust you should put in one of these if you bolt it into your unattended boat).  Kinda annoying if you have to thrash around unstrapping it during the first driver change when the weather is heating up so you can whack the pump.

Seem to recall the tubing is 1/4".  I bought my shirt from Ultrachiller and also bought the female fittings for the cooler from them at the same time.  If I did it over again, I'd probably go with the fitting Van recommends.  If people make their own shirts (I've used both store bought and homemade, both work fine), use male fittings on the shirt and female on the cooler box to be compatible with the commercial ones.  Or go the Spank route and just use barb fittings and pull them apart to disconnect.

If there was one area I'd like to improve on the DIY cool shirt setup front, it would be securing the cooler.  I've got one with 2 ratcheting straps and another with 3.  The straps hold the entire enchilada down and then metal welded to the floor to keep the cooler positioned.  I know how violent flips can be and don't want the driver to survive the crash but not the cooler pummeling him.  It would be nice to have some sort of positive cooler hold-down with something a bit more convenient than 3 ratchet straps to secure the lid for ice replacement/replenishment.  Maybe something quick release pin-ish.  Most anything I can think of involves compromising the water tightness and joining the group of people getting an erroneous BF for leaking fuel.

awesome.  Thanks for sharing.

Great deal on a Rule 500GPH pump on amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/Rule-Submersible- … 350R5YB074

3 year warranty as well

Team Failken: Formula D-Bags: #14 93 Nissan 240sx
Team Pro-Crash-Duh-Nation: #26 '87 Alfa Romeo Milano

gills wrote:

Great deal on a Rule 500GPH pump on amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/Rule-Submersible- … 350R5YB074

You don't want that pump.  Outlet is 3/4".  Find one with a 3/8" outlet.  Also, a bigger pump = less ice in your cooler.

ches wrote:

I was trying to do something similar on the first cooler I made.  I actually installed latches on the lid to keep the water in and envisioned a hinged, square aluminum tube across the top.  People were continually forcing the latches causing the positive locks to spring out and get lost.
Going with a single ratchet strap rated at 2,000 Lbs was just so much easier

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

182 (edited by rodknox2 2015-07-15 02:13 PM)

I'll bet there are as many variations of cool shirt setups as there are teams using them.  And the 'cool' thing about them is they all seem to work...more or less.  I like the idea of just stuffing some bag of ice down your suit.

We opted for 'Cool Shirt' shirts and made our own cooler.  Well, everybody but one.  He tried to save some $$ and bought some other brand.  His connectors didn't match, so he had to change his to our setup.  Then his shirt had the connectors on the right side...ours on the left.  Every time he gets in and out of the car, we have to reroute the hoses. Had I known all of this before he bought the shirt, I would have made up the cost difference.

While I was ordering my shirt, I got to inquire about their pump....360GPH/28 quart cooler.

One time at B'willow our pump did do-do due to a faulty alternator.  We now carry a spare pump and alternator.

Foam pipe insulation is probably better but a little fragile so we use heater hose as the insulator for the cooler hose.

We made up a loop hose so we can troubleshoot if it is not working and we leave it on when the cooler is not in use to protect the connectors/o rings.

We use the pull-release connectors on the cooler and at the end of the race on Sunday, we put the stock connectors on each shirt and blow out the water.

We color coded the hoses...sometimes the cold hose needs a little suck it get it started.

The cooler is double zip tied to the floor.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/420/19731797471_223415ba67.jpgP7150546

183 (edited by jrbe 2015-07-15 03:50 PM)

I realized something that is probably decreasing everyones ice chest cold time.  The submersible pump is dumping its motor heat into the ice chest.  I'm not sure how much heat that actually is but i'm sure an external pump that doesnt use the water also as a coolant for the motor would help cold time. Not sure if that is .1% or 25%.  I doubt the little motors in these pumps are very efficient.  You could run one in a gallon of water and monitor temp change and figure it out.

I realize an external pump adds complexity but it may be worth it. A self priming pump with a strainer would probably do well up and out of the top of the chest.  Mounted low, it would just need a bit to prime.

I still have the peltier stuff but still havent had time to test it.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

I use the 500GPH rule pump in a 5 gallon Gatorade cooler. generally lasts through 2 driver sessions (~5 hours). I believe the heat due to the pump is negligible compared to other sources like the hot floor pan and 100 degree wind inside the car.

John

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

185 (edited by ross2004 2015-07-16 08:30 AM)

jrbe wrote:

I realize an external pump adds complexity but it may be worth it. A self priming pump with a strainer would probably do well up and out of the top of the chest.  Mounted low, it would just need a bit to prime.

No problem at all, and got to use an old fuel pump that was just sitting.
http://s4.postimg.org/6vi76nh6l/cooler.jpg

We use a 12V Camper pump that was about $40 on Amazon and we run it with a $6 pulse speed controller so we can keep the pumping speed nice and slow so it's easier on the pump and it gives the water more time to absorb some body heat.  We have two coolers and swap the superbly engineered top during driver changes.

It's worked flawlessly for 5 races, including two Buttonwillows.

We try to use block ice because it lasts longer than cubes.

http://i59.tinypic.com/29o3akm.jpg

187 (edited by mike944 2015-07-16 09:39 AM)

TKing66 wrote:

We try to use block ice because it lasts longer than cubes.

We used to fill gallon milk jugs with water, and freeze those.    We would just pop them into the cooler, jug & all.    That way you also don't have to drain any water during the day.

We actually brought a chest freezer to the track, for the 1 super-hot race that we ran in.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

jrbe wrote:

I realized something that is probably decreasing everyones ice chest cold time.  The submersible pump is dumping its motor heat into the ice chest.  I'm not sure how much heat that actually is but i'm sure an external pump that doesnt use the water also as a coolant for the motor would help cold time. Not sure if that is .1% or 25%.  I doubt the little motors in these pumps are very efficient.  You could run one in a gallon of water and monitor temp change and figure it out.

I still have the peltier stuff but still havent had time to test it.

We have a similar set up as a drink dispenser. We just drilled a couple of holes in the top of the cooler and mounted a small pump, like you would use to run the wiper washers.  The Saturn actually had a cool seat which worked well.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Fuel pumps are typically cooled by the fuel going through them.

the motor heat loss is pretty small.

Because i'm an engineering dork, and math is fun........

Assuming el-cheapo chinese motor is 45% efficient, and draws 5 amps (60W) at load, that's 33 watts of waste heat.   Ice absorbs 144 btu/hr/lb.   Therefore, said motor above will melt 0.229 lb of ice per hour by itself.   with water at 8.33 lb/gallon (and the weight not increasing or decreasing when frozen) that's roughly 16 oz of ice per hour.

Throw in a few extra cubes, and you'll be fine.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

191 (edited by jrbe 2015-07-17 02:31 PM)

It think you forgot the watts to btu conversion. 33 watts = ~112 btu. So ~3/4 of a pound an hour, I think. It's been a long week..
Edit, never mind, looks like you just left math out.

I made a "cool seat pad"  using just a 25$   pump from harbor freight. I think it was for water fountains. I initially ran a larger pump outside the cooler but it would quickly overheat and was loud. The water fountain pump is submersible, runs for hours without getting warm, has it's own strainer built in to collect debris, and moves plenty of water.

193 (edited by theinvictus1 2015-07-17 04:16 PM)

In my opinion the large externally mounted sump pump is over kill, you don't need to move that large a volume of water, and the larger pumps overheat as a result of not moving enough water to keep cool. 
I found the el' cheapo one that works well for me.  it runs submerger inside one of those orange round gott coolers and works quite well.

Rather than a cool shirt, which would require building one for every driver, I'd just cool the seat back by using more rigid tubing I found at home depot and attaching it by duct taping it directly to the seat, or onto a rubber matt that could easily be pulled in and out of the car. both versions work and help keep the driver a bit cooler but makes ingress and egress from the vehicle easy.

here's the youtube video of it in operation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_kSNE0BhWA

and here's the pump model http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-gph-b … 66095.html

note the water lines are not very large, they are just wrapped in insulation, so that the ice in the cooler would last longer.