Re: True cost of Lemons?

I haven't read the whole thread but if my 2 cents count for anything this is the rough breakdown in costs for me between 2 different teams I have driven with or put together.

All costs are approximated or rounded.

Suit/Helmet/Gear: $500

Pre-Prepped Car+Safety Gear: $1000 divided by 6 Team Mates = $170 per person.

Entry Fee + Other Registration Fees: $500 + $100 per driver + random stuff = $200 per person.

Going to the event + food + gas for tow vehicle + gas for car + some necessary parts + renting a trailer (hotel not included we had an rv) = $800 = $150 per person

In total, my first event cost me $350 event + $170 car + $500 gear = $1020

Running with a more organized team included more parts costs like brake pads and tires. But of course it doesn't include cost of purchasing a car and I still have my gear. This team consisted of 4 members, not 6, and we had a trailer that a team mate owned.

Food, gas, tires, general stuff I spent around $500

I write down 'airfares' and ..... well ..... there goes the budget big_smile

I don't know about other teams, but when it was all said and done and we added up all receits, we were right around $6000 for our first race. That was doing everything on the cheap and includes shared racing suits/helmets. We were all new to this so there was a lot of things that we spent money on that we may not have needed to and there were a lot of things that we cut corners on that we won't this time around. Though it is looking like the second race is going to turn out much cheaper, especially since it is local-North Dallas Hooptie.

86 Honda Prelube - Team Inspite: Rabid Hybrid Racing

If you run the same car and same people for a few races, barring any major failures, it gets cheaper each time.  If you have to keep building new cars and breaking in new team members (with gear) it stays expensive.

I've yet to run the same crew in two races and have built up three cars.  Argh.

Priapism
If your looking for someone to give a hand let me know. I'm fairly close to you.