Re: Detroit Irony drivers less terrible than most!

Spinnetti wrote:

Yeah, we analyzed our numbers and the transponder was fine.... it was those stinking caliper failures. That and this race was much faster than the others. Had this been my last CMP race, we would have been much better in the standings.... The competition just keeps ramping up at this stuff, and every little outage beats you down quite a bit.

if you look at the top teams, they don't pit often and when they do, it's a 6-7 minute pit at most.

compared to the more average 9-10 minute pit, they are getting at least two extra laps in even if they pit as often.

the race had 14:45 of hot track time. if you're running a 4 cylinder car you're using about 5 gallons of fuel per hour. that means you should only need to pit once in the first day and once in the 2nd day. giving you 14hours and 30minutes of racing.

the winners had 416laps, if you had the above pit strategy you could have been turning an average lap time of 2:05.48 and matched that number of laps.

the only team that wasn't able to get a best lap time that low was team police brutality. probably because they simply did not have any good laps in.

if you're in it to win it, you need the following:
-24gallon fuel cell
-ability to not need to pee for about 5 hours
-only pit twice and do it under a full course yellow if possible.
-fast pit strategy
-4 cylinder lightweight fuel efficient car.

It's amazing how the 200 treadwear requirement levels the field.

personally I liked how clueless racing was able to win the race without being aggressive drivers on the track. they just kept turning laps without irritating anyone (at least not anyone on our team).

we actaually were the pit right next to clueless and they had some fast pit stops!! they had 2 spotters around the track as well, usually one guy on the hill above turn 3 and 4 and one standing on thier camper, and they really made an effort to not piss anybody off, from my experience they left as much room possible when they passed.  It really was a great learning experience for us to watch them to see how they did everything.

Wisconsin Crap Racers #113 E36
I.O.E. Winners 2023 Gingerman
2016 and 2017 Cure for Gingivitis Champs!
30+ time Losers!

heywood220 wrote:

we actaually were the pit right next to clueless and they had some fast pit stops!! they had 2 spotters around the track as well, usually one guy on the hill above turn 3 and 4 and one standing on thier camper, and they really made an effort to not piss anybody off, from my experience they left as much room possible when they passed.  It really was a great learning experience for us to watch them to see how they did everything.

did they use any kind of quick refueling setup to get those times?

I'm pretty sure they have a real quick fill system for fuel.

for thier fueling they had a big funnel directly into thier fuel cell and used the 11 gallon jugs to pour in, they had quick fuel system built into the car but something in tech prevented them from using that(didnt hear what that was) , but in the end timewise it probably didnt hurt them to much.  the main thing was they didnt have any big mechanical problems, didnt piss ppl off, and all the drivers ran consistantly fast laps.

Wisconsin Crap Racers #113 E36
I.O.E. Winners 2023 Gingerman
2016 and 2017 Cure for Gingivitis Champs!
30+ time Losers!

We had one "real" pit stop at the end of the race - pulled the driver, fueled, and had him back in the car in under two minutes. Afterwards we were standing around saying "damn, we need to do that more often!"

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Fast pit stops don't help nearly as much as penalty avoidance. If your team gets more than one black flag per race, there's no point in speeding up your pit stops. Same applies to long driver stints.

33 (edited by Spinnetti 2010-04-22 05:21 PM)

Marc wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Yeah, we analyzed our numbers and the transponder was fine.... it was those stinking caliper failures. That and this race was much faster than the others. Had this been my last CMP race, we would have been much better in the standings.... The competition just keeps ramping up at this stuff, and every little outage beats you down quite a bit.

if you look at the top teams, they don't pit often and when they do, it's a 6-7 minute pit at most.

compared to the more average 9-10 minute pit, they are getting at least two extra laps in even if they pit as often.

the race had 14:45 of hot track time. if you're running a 4 cylinder car you're using about 5 gallons of fuel per hour. that means you should only need to pit once in the first day and once in the 2nd day. giving you 14hours and 30minutes of racing.

the winners had 416laps, if you had the above pit strategy you could have been turning an average lap time of 2:05.48 and matched that number of laps.

the only team that wasn't able to get a best lap time that low was team police brutality. probably because they simply did not have any good laps in.

-24gallon fuel cell
-fast pit strategy

personally I liked how clueless racing was able to win the race without being aggressive drivers on the track. they just kept turning laps without irritating anyone (at least not anyone on our team).

Well, while I understand, this is way over the top for Lemons... if its gonna take that, I'm going back to club racing where I already have all that, and a car I'm proud of too.

Your math is good for fuel consumption, and we were right on top of that

We were about 8min for a gas stop with a first time as a team together, so not bad, and easy to improve a bit.

We had a light 4cyl car, fuel efficient, stock tank, with about 2:20 fuel endurance. Good for safety, driver fatigue and making sure everybody gets a good chance to drive.

We also only had one penalty, and that a surprise. We ran 1:52-1:54's. Not that fast, but we banged those out lap after lap. We figure we might have got as high as 3rd without the brake problems.

Latchkey guys run really well overall too. That was my performance bogey. I think they have the twin cam and that extra 12hp sure made a difference. If not, their motor was just stronger than ours. They just had the brakes sorted and we didn't. Once we do, I think we can give them a good run smile

The CRX was driven well, but has gotta have a cams or other tricks like a LSD. They weren't really much faster in the corners, but just walked away from us at will, that with 400 less cc's. Our motor is dead stock, but still strong. I road race with those, so have a pretty good idea how fast they should be....

Like I said, prior to this race we would have finished pretty darn good. Nature of racing to get out of hand I guess. We'll come back for a couple more to see how it goes. I'm trying to talk the team in running my Lexus. Should have a bit more endurance, easier to drive (definitely better handling), and its probably 2-3 sec a lap faster than the neon somewhere like Gingerman (at least it was on a test day at Putnam)...

When am I brining it over to do the cage? Can you do the "tiptronic" shift programming for me? <Grin>

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:
Marc wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

-24gallon fuel cell
-fast pit strategy

Well, while I understand, this is way over the top for Lemons... if its gonna take that, I'm going back to club racing where I already have all that, and a car I'm proud of too.

We were about 8min for a gas stop with a first time as a team together, so not bad, and easy to improve a bit.

We had a light 4cyl car, fuel efficient, stock tank, with about 2:20 fuel endurance. Good for safety, driver fatigue and making sure everybody gets a good chance to drive.

We also only had one penalty, and that a surprise. We ran 1:52-1:54's. Not that fast, but we banged those out lap after lap. We figure we might have got as high as 3rd without the brake problems.

Latchkey guys run really well overall too. That was my performance bogey. I think they have the twin cam and that extra 12hp sure made a difference. If not, their motor was just stronger than ours. They just had the brakes sorted and we didn't. Once we do, I think we can give them a good run smile

The CRX was driven well, but has gotta have a cams or other tricks like a LSD. They weren't really much faster in the corners, but just walked away from us at will, that with 400 less cc's. Our motor is dead stock, but still strong. I road race with those, so have a pretty good idea how fast they should be....

Like I said, prior to this race we would have finished pretty darn good. Nature of racing to get out of hand I guess. We'll come back for a couple more to see how it goes. I'm trying to talk the team in running my Lexus. Should have a bit more endurance, easier to drive (definitely better handling), and its probably 2-3 sec a lap faster than the neon somewhere like Gingerman (at least it was on a test day at Putnam)...

When am I brining it over to do the cage? Can you do the "tiptronic" shift programming for me? <Grin>

i agree that the above description is taking it too far. we're just there to have fun. we've already given up on any chance of winning. but we had a blast last weekend with a car that ran the whole race.

as for the CRX having more power than stock... it probably did, but i don't really care since they were driving so cleanly. team 411 (S10 pickup) was the one that worried me the most, they were all over the track. they even managed to clip one of our wings off.

i can't do much about your transmission, but if you bring the car up to Fort Wayne I'll gladly help you make a custom cage for it.

I thought the 411 was going to get cursed for sure.  I guess they weren't on track enough to piss more people off.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Trevor57 wrote:

I thought the 411 was going to get cursed for sure.  I guess they weren't on track enough to piss more people off.

they probably ran out of tires the way they were roasting them around every corner

The rear drums were on fire in the paddock when I walked by once.  That may have been an issue as well.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Trevor57 wrote:

I really thought that the 101 was going to get cursed as well.  They seemed to be really erratic, and a lot of people seemed to get hit by them, us included.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

actually the #2 MR2 was on my radar early on as the little fly-weight car would use a lot of late braking to catch up to the Pillagerz! Dragonboat. I actually thought they were pretty big jerks until one of them went into a corner deep, got squirrely and waved me off. At that point i got the right impression; "Oh, they're not jerks they just suck!" one of their drivers came by to chat me up and we had a good laugh about it. THAT's what Lemons is all about, and I'm pretty happy to say that otherwise I was very happy with everyone in general. Point-bys and VERY little dive-bombing, if any.

PS- Spinetti; where/when are you planning to try racing the Lexus? I'd love to team up for the occasion. As you've noticed I'm sure, the Vikings like a good, big, fat boat of a car. smile

MurileeMartin wrote:

Fast pit stops don't help nearly as much as penalty avoidance. If your team gets more than one black flag per race, there's no point in speeding up your pit stops. Same applies to long driver stints.

Rub it in!!! big_smile

Truth, though. Nothing kills laps like not being on the track.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Serj wrote:

actually the #2 MR2 was on my radar early on as the little fly-weight car would use a lot of late braking to catch up to the Pillagerz! Dragonboat. I actually thought they were pretty big jerks until one of them went into a corner deep, got squirrely and waved me off. At that point i got the right impression; "Oh, they're not jerks they just suck!" one of their drivers came by to chat me up and we had a good laugh about it. THAT's what Lemons is all about, and I'm pretty happy to say that otherwise I was very happy with everyone in general. Point-bys and VERY little dive-bombing, if any.

PS- Spinetti; where/when are you planning to try racing the Lexus? I'd love to team up for the occasion. As you've noticed I'm sure, the Vikings like a good, big, fat boat of a car. smile

About that..... you guys ROCK... The theme, the crazy car, the "DUBs etc... I'm amazed how well you hustled that thing, and that it lasted!

Lex is ready but for cage and a few minor odds n' ends. I need 3 other drivers (4 total) who are in it to win it. With a good crew, no reason not to be in top 5. My current team might be up for it, but they have the Neon already, so I dunno if they'll bite. Ideally, I'd add somebody that can do the cage as their car buy-in so I don't have to do that out of pocket to finish the car. I've run a track day with it, and I'm confident this thing will be very good. Engine and trans seem very strong. Soon as I line up the folks and get the cage in (and kill switch), I'm ready to go - hopefully this fall or at worst next spring.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Serj wrote:

Yeah, that was me in the 2 car.  I went inside you into turn 10 and ended up drifting over across you on the exit.  I intended to leave you space out there, but I suck.  So I waved to say sorry and came over to apologize after your stint.

That was only the beginning of my trouble with that turn, so perhaps I was doing something wrong.  The race-winning crx went off in a straight line to the outside of that turn in a cloud of tire smoke and took me with him.  The next day, the #11 celica nosed into my passenger door pretty good and we both spun off after contact.   

Two things stick out from both of those instances:

1) I don't think either was my fault; but,
2) I didn't see either of those cars until the moment of contact, so how sure can I really be about 1)? 

I am a novice driver so I'm not really sure about much.  Maybe I am slowing more than needed or taking an unexpected line in that turn and should be more f-ing aware.  Or maybe I just had 3 bad episodes that coincidentally occurred at the same point of the track.  Perhaps the later 2 were karma revisiting me for the first.

Either way, I was trying to drive pretty conservatively, especially in traffic, using point-bys, playing nice and just trying to turn laps.  Those 2 black flags were very disappointing for me.

But they didn't spoil my weekend.  I had a BLAST and I think I learned a lot, too.  I can't wait for the next race!  So sorry if I stepped on anyone else.  "It's not malice, it's ineptness."  Oh, I love Lemons.

10 was kind of an interesting section.  If you didnt get the braking just right the car did some rather fun things.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

There's your novice sign, Stevo:

Beware: Novice Driver! Not Malicious, Just Inept.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Stevo wrote:
Serj wrote:

Yeah, that was me in the 2 car.  I went inside you into turn 10 and ended up drifting over across you on the exit.  I intended to leave you space out there, but I suck.  So I waved to say sorry and came over to apologize after your stint.

That was only the beginning of my trouble with that turn, so perhaps I was doing something wrong.  The race-winning crx went off in a straight line to the outside of that turn in a cloud of tire smoke and took me with him.  The next day, the #11 celica nosed into my passenger door pretty good and we both spun off after contact.   

Two things stick out from both of those instances:

1) I don't think either was my fault; but,
2) I didn't see either of those cars until the moment of contact, so how sure can I really be about 1)? 

I am a novice driver so I'm not really sure about much.  Maybe I am slowing more than needed or taking an unexpected line in that turn and should be more f-ing aware.  Or maybe I just had 3 bad episodes that coincidentally occurred at the same point of the track.  Perhaps the later 2 were karma revisiting me for the first.

Either way, I was trying to drive pretty conservatively, especially in traffic, using point-bys, playing nice and just trying to turn laps.  Those 2 black flags were very disappointing for me.

But they didn't spoil my weekend.  I had a BLAST and I think I learned a lot, too.  I can't wait for the next race!  So sorry if I stepped on anyone else.  "It's not malice, it's ineptness."  Oh, I love Lemons.

I think you guys are improving fast for what its worth..... Overall, everybody did a nice job IMO... I had no issues anywhere, with anybody. One of the giant beasts - Crown vic? didn't want to let me by (him faster on a couple straights, me everywhere else), but I just had to work a litte harder for it smile I thought it was a just 14hr-ish sprint race and drove accordingly smile

Spinnetti wrote:
Marc wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

-24gallon fuel cell
-fast pit strategy

Which team were you on?

We actually have a single cam engine.  For reference, we were running pretty consistently around 1:50-1:51 in traffic.  I set our fast lap very early with a 1:47.8, then our last driver set a low 1:47.4 late in the race.  We would lose 4 laps max on pit stops, sometimes 3.  Our car is a bit over-braked, but they are strong and consistent through the whole race.  We're pretty light, so we are easy on tires, and our drivers are all fairly competent.

I'm not sure that our engine is anything special, but we got lucky with our suspension set-up . . . it works just about perfectly with the cars' race weight.

Don't give up on the neon, once you get it sorted, they are very fast.  Like Jay has said (2 or 3 times) It's only a matter of time before we win the bag of nickels.

Jahan
#71 Chia Neon
www.twitter.com/chianeon

Stevo wrote:

The next day, the #11 celica nosed into my passenger door pretty good and we both spun off after contact.

Steve-o -  Without throwing my driver under the bus - from what I have read - good driving etiquette says he perhaps should not have been there as you took your line.  From what I understand - the outside car has right of line if you are mirrors even or better - otherwise you have to yield to the inside car... I have no idea where you two were in the turn when you tangled but judging by the dent in your car - I think you may have been okay..... I think.

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style
www.teamreynoldsstyle.com

Chia One wrote:

We actually have a single cam engine.  For reference, we were running pretty consistently around 1:50-1:51 in traffic.  I set our fast lap very early with a 1:47.8, then our last driver set a low 1:47.4 late in the race.  We would lose 4 laps max on pit stops, sometimes 3.  Our car is a bit over-braked, but they are strong and consistent through the whole race.  We're pretty light, so we are easy on tires, and our drivers are all fairly competent.

I'm not sure that our engine is anything special, but we got lucky with our suspension set-up . . . it works just about perfectly with the cars' race weight.

Don't give up on the neon, once you get it sorted, they are very fast.  Like Jay has said (2 or 3 times) It's only a matter of time before we win the bag of nickels.

Wow, that's really good.. My first time in a neon though, so clearly we have some  stuff to learn. Best we could do is 1:52 You guys really pulled me, though I could hang with you in the corners. Maybe we are just off the pace and its not the car (that hurts the ego though! smile .. Nice job... (Lebowski Neon with the exploding brakes)

DrunkMike wrote:
Stevo wrote:

The next day, the #11 celica nosed into my passenger door pretty good and we both spun off after contact.

Steve-o -  Without throwing my driver under the bus - from what I have read - good driving etiquette says he perhaps should not have been there as you took your line.  From what I understand - the outside car has right of line if you are mirrors even or better - otherwise you have to yield to the inside car... I have no idea where you two were in the turn when you tangled but judging by the dent in your car - I think you may have been okay..... I think.

This is not SCCA, thus there is no "line". Everybody is equally at fault if something happens.. Given the great disparity in cars and skill, its not reasonable to assume anything else. One you give up that you "own" any corner, its all good fun smile

Spinnetti wrote:

Everybody is equally at fault if something happens.. Given the great disparity in cars and skill, its not reasonable to assume anything else. One you give up that you "own" any corner, its all good fun smile

+1!

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style
www.teamreynoldsstyle.com