Re: New to the Lemons scene... College student from California

JThw8 wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

The Super Duper 7 would be pretty quick, I betcha.

Definitely, and fairly nimble with alot of the weight removed.

Does it have to be a crown vic or will any old body on frame V8 monster suffice (one of our teammates just got an old V8 chebby truck for $75, but its 4wd so maybe not)

Any body-on-frame vehicle would work for a Super Duper 7, as long as it's big. No goddamn Datsun pickups! I've been suggesting a Crown Vic because so many teams already have one, but any old F-150 or C10 would work just as well.

MurileeMartin wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

The Super Duper 7 would be pretty quick, I betcha.

Definitely, and fairly nimble with alot of the weight removed.

Does it have to be a crown vic or will any old body on frame V8 monster suffice (one of our teammates just got an old V8 chebby truck for $75, but its 4wd so maybe not)

Any body-on-frame vehicle would work for a Super Duper 7, as long as it's big. No goddamn Datsun pickups! I've been suggesting a Crown Vic because so many teams already have one, but any old F-150 or C10 would work just as well.

Go big or go home...go it.  Seagrave V12 firetruck chassis.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

28 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-04-27 11:47 AM)

I had actually given thought to something similar to the super duper seven, only more along the lines of a 3:2 scale ariel atom. A mandrel bender and random pipe scraps are something I can probably manage better than trying to secure bits of plywood at interesting angles (and making the plywood look like some kind of car).

I'm in, now to find others who are equally insane...

JThw8 wrote:

What's wrong with a 4wd speedster?

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/28330191/129_0205_01_z+1915_ford_model_t_speedster+front_view.jpg

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Yeah, a 4WD Super Duper 7, or maybe an Ariel Molecule, would be very LeMon-y.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Ariel Molecule

Brilliant!  Or maybe a little bigger with some free-form fiberglass bodywork and a really anemic powerplant and call it an Ariel Amoeba?

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Uncle Humjaba wrote:

I had actually given thought to something similar to the super duper seven, only more along the lines of a 3:2 scale ariel atom. A mandrel bender and random pipe scraps are something I can probably manage better than trying to secure bits of plywood at interesting angles (and making the plywood look like some kind of car).

Would probably need to use a tubing roller.  Mandrel bender wouldn't be able to make those smooth curves, it would just make a bunch of kinks since it would have to follow the curve of the die.

rockwood wrote:
Uncle Humjaba wrote:

Would probably need to use a tubing roller.  Mandrel bender wouldn't be able to make those smooth curves, it would just make a bunch of kinks since it would have to follow the curve of the die.

The more I think about it, the more sense a superduper 7 makes. The large-radius curves of the atom would be hard to duplicate, whereas some straight tubing, brackets and painted plywood would make an interesting 7. Not sure what to do about the driver sitting in the middle instead of over the rear axle though. Moving the driver's seat of a crown vic over the rear axle would look more like leno's tank rod, haha.

Well, there's always this:

http://www.remarkablecars.com/ppads/data/450/09591-beverly-hillbillies-1.jpg

Loren wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

Ariel Molecule

Brilliant!  Or maybe a little bigger with some free-form fiberglass bodywork and a really anemic powerplant and call it an Ariel Amoeba?

I have *just* the anemic powerplant to propel you into Lemons glory.  3 cyl 2 stroke wartburg engine anyone?

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

JThw8 wrote:

3 cyl 2 stroke wartburg engine anyone?

Is it light enough to ship via UPS?

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

RichVS wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

3 cyl 2 stroke wartburg engine anyone?

Is it light enough to ship via UPS?

Probably not, especially if you needed the transmission too.

squidbreath wrote:

People make room when there is a huge car careening towards them at a crazy speed.

There always seemed to be room for the Mark Ate when we came flying up to the corners

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

39 (edited by TheHeckler 2010-04-27 06:23 PM)

RichVS wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

What's wrong with a 4wd speedster?

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/28330191 … t_view.jpg

Wow, that has to be interesting under braking, the spindles are so far from the wheels

OK, correction, I just noticed it has NO FRONT BRAKES so it would only be terrible on the power

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

that JAG with the tubing on the outside was a huge ATOM  Murilee you got pics of that?

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!