Re: Death Cab and EyeSore Enterprise - Inseparable!

My wife was driving then, and she had some classic comments on the radio:

"Tigers all over my ass again!"

"Oh, Tigers off in the rough at T11!"

I'll see if I can find the actual footage to post...

27 (edited by Eyesoreracing 2010-05-12 10:38 PM)

I can see you're still shifting at 4500 and saving the tires...

This video is actually really helpful for diagnosing our oil consumption. Our poor engine is drinking about 3/4 quart of oil with every tank of gas, which is causing some concern among the paranoid elements of our team. But I can see big puffs of smoke with every shift, which I'm taking as good news.

That means the oil is getting sucked in under vacuum, which probably means valve stem seals/guides. I can't think of many ways dead valve stem seals could make our engine explode (that's what I'm telling myself...)

I'm pretty sure the valve stem seals (and, in fact, most of the head) came from an engine with over 230,000 miles on it, so this is really no big surprise.

-Dave

I don't know if anybody does this anymore, but knurling the valve guides is cheap and really effective...and stems seals are cheap too...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Eyesoreracing wrote:

I can see you're still shifting at 4500 and saving the tires...

Yes, but I occasionally throw the car sideways just for effect... wink

dtfastbear wrote:

LOL smile

dtfastbear wrote:

Hahaha, your wife held our guy back pretty good then.  We were wondering why you guys were only turning 2:24s for those first laps.  My vids are encoding now while I'm at work, I'll post them tonight when I get back home.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jHGDwzOQyE

Right after Eyesore caught the black for passing on the front straight...

3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Eyesore got a black flag????

So that's what it takes to make Eyesore barely come in 2nd - 3 penalty laps and a black flag!

With three penalty laps and a black flag I think I would have been about oh... 80th

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

magnusracing wrote:

Eyesore got a black flag????

Yes, late on Sunday. They got a wave-through since they'd been clean up to that point... but the lost minute or so was the race.

This was early Sunday.  We were following them through lap traffic right before start/finish when we caught sight of the yellow flag.  Eyesore went through, we locked them up.  They got caught, and we didn't catch one. (you'll hear my guy saying "No flag on 11" in the first lap of the vid)

jimeditorial wrote:

I don't know if anybody does this anymore, but knurling the valve guides is cheap and really effective...and stems seals are cheap too...

We built a turbo Miata for $500, there wasn't a penny left for luxuries like valve stem seals! As long as it doesn't burn enough oil to run out between pit stops, I'm not gonna sweat it.

-Dave

dtfastbear wrote:

I like her comment at the start of one of the videos you already posted. You're approaching T5 and Eyesore is right behind you, "Don't hit each other."

craznoe wrote:

This was early Sunday.  We were following them through lap traffic right before start/finish when we caught sight of the yellow flag.  Eyesore went through, we locked them up.  They got caught, and we didn't catch one. (you'll hear my guy saying "No flag on 11" in the first lap of the vid)

Yeah, that was me. I popped out to pass, couldn't see the yellow. Then traffic moved and I did. Crap.

The black came out at turn 11 -- the number shown with it was partly obscured but I was certain it was for me.

Went to penalty and they said they didn't have a black reported for our number, so that was that.

What, NO German Competition?   Hmmmmmm.   

Holy Crap Pendejo, 2:16 in that beast?  I remember when it would roll like a hippo around the turns.  You guys have done an amazing job with that car. Three Cheers ole Chap.
   Sorry I missed all this action at TH.  The Sharks are a bit dysfunctional and dispersed.  But we are tryin to rally for ButtonWillow. Trying to hit the blood and sperm banks as often as I can to build up that bank account.  Unfortunately visions of Dean in a skirt is really killin the income.

Judge Jonny wrote:

Also, fun video and all, but without Clay and the Shark psychopathic-ally sliding across your nose, kinda dull

big_smile

Legendary race cars:

McLaren MP4/4
Ferrari F2002
Toyota IMSA GTP Eagle
Auto Union Type C/D
Death Cab V8olvo

Amen to that list 'o legendary race cars.  The Death Cab was something very special.  Dave and Fish have cooked up something significantly more "interesting" for Buttonwillow, but it remains to be seen if it will be "Legendary" smile smile

Clay, I'd think visions of me in the skirt would help with the blood and plasma donations at the very least.  It HAS to come out faster after you've slit your wrists! wink

Really hope to see you at B-willow, Clay.  All these other pussies race clean...  I need me some Shark action on track!

Sadly, cars based on factory machinery (e.g., the V8olvo) always do better than Frankensteined contraptions like that crypto-Model T. But guess which type we'd rather see on the track?

Here's one of my favorite V8olvo in-car videos. The key to good in-car video is the grille-mounted camera, because it makes 50 MPH look like 150.

It brings a tear to my eye to see the seat-belt hood tie-downs flapping in the breeze in that video.  I always found those to be one of the most elegant demonstrations of the zero-cost but super effective bits of engineering that Dave put into that car.  Of course, that doesn't explain why I so callously ripped them off in the process of T-boning a TR-7...

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2008/05/340x_Flag_Done_LH.jpg

I think the V8olvo's new owner should bring back the Swedish Rebel Flag on the roof.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2009/11/500x_wayne_exiting_v8olvo-500px.jpg

Another one of my favorite V8olvo photos. The roof wasn't even dented.

Judge Phil wrote:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/1 … -500px.jpg

Another one of my favorite V8olvo photos. The roof wasn't even dented.

Whats really scary is it raced almost a full season AFTER this rollover....with hardly any work...I think a windshield is it!!!! 

How many cars can roll that many times with barely a dent and only a slight crack in the windshield...the roof wasn't even close to hitting the roll cage!!!! 

The V8olvo is a Lemons Legend...no doubt!!!  Hopefully it can be resurrected to race again!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

20 years from now people will want to find it, put ti back together, and display it in the Musee d'Lemons.