Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Hey Marc is there any locking feature on those nuts?

John

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

Pure badassery.

Daniel Sycks

You said you've never ran this engine yet?

We were talking about your car this weekend, while we were working on our own car.     Are you sure your engine runs in the correct direction?

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

JMo wrote:

Hey Marc is there any locking feature on those nuts?

John

The stock configuration places palnuts on there. i was planning on seeing how it goes before worrying about that.

mike944 wrote:

You said you've never ran this engine yet?

We were talking about your car this weekend, while we were working on our own car.     Are you sure your engine runs in the correct direction?

there's a dataplate that says CCW on it. plus i looked at a bunch of videos to see which directions they start.

and no, i haven't run it yet.

305 (edited by Voice Of Reason 2011-02-28 10:24 AM)

man this is the most epic build i have ever seen. i haven't quite figured out if your stark raving mad, or just a mega gear head bent on destruction/implosion... either way nice job!

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator
1991 Ponticrap OnFirebird
Racing a Camaro/Firebird at Lemons is a box full of fail, thats why we do it.

Marc wrote:

...and no, i haven't run it yet.

Please shoot and post video of your first starting attempt.  I'm sure everyone following this build is almost as giddy as you are to see it all work.  I know I sure am!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

307 (edited by EriktheAwful 2011-02-28 03:53 PM)

+1

I work around airplanes (KC-135Rs), and the engine shop shares the building with our shop. Right now they have some APUs laying around that were received bad from supply. Today I threatened to take one and put it in my RX-7 and LeMon it. Your car was the inspiration for that threat, but I'm insufficiently LeMony to succumb to that madness.

EriktheAwful wrote:

+1

I work around airplanes (KC-135Rs), and the engine shop shares the building with our shop. Right now they have some APUs laying around that were received bad from supply. Today I threatened to take one and put it in my RX-7 and LeMon it. Your car was the inspiration for that threat, but I'm insufficiently LeMony to succumb to that madness.

hehe, the guys were standing around talking about how we're going to top this current car and that right there is the only idea we could come up with. i just need to find a good deal on an APU in the 75-150KW range

Good luck muffling an APU under 90db!

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

David Hawkins wrote:

Good luck muffling an APU under 90db!

I'd positively love it if that was the problem I had to solve smile sadly i think the affordability of a motor like that to put in a Lemons car is the bigger problem.

anyways, this is a tangent but sadly i don't have updates from tonight to bring the thread back on track. i took the night off.

EriktheAwful wrote:

+1

erik, I'm currently working on securing an 82 FB, get me one of those APUs fer free and I'll die trying >:D

Marc...I just wanted to say "PURE AWESOMENESS". Keep up the good work!!!
Good luck with the rest of the build and we look forward to seeing some video.

#25 BuckSnort Racing
09' Nelsons / 10' American Irony, Capitol Offense, Bull Oil, Blago / 11' Gingivitis, American Irony, Shootout
12' Gingivitis, Shootout, American Irony

erik, I'm currently working on securing an 82 FB, get me one of those APUs fer free and I'll die trying

Sorry, they're not mine to give. Try www.govliquidation.com.

awwww, darn. oh well. Marc u rock! definitely get/post vid of first startup/attempt. we're all chomping at the bit to see it.

Starting to really feel like this should be in the epic build area too.

small update for tonight. spent a bunch of time drawing flanges on the computer to get waterjetted for the intake & exhaust. ordered the J-bend tubes for the exhaust. it kills me but i went with mild steel instead of stainless.

also i hit up the yard for the ignition components:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0095.jpg
those are a pile of 12 LS1 coils.

I also engineered a solution for the cam/crank sensor and the alternator drive all in one shot.

the plan is as follows:
start with a 40tooth sprocket, remove the tip of one tooth to make a 40-1 crank trigger wheel.
mount that sprocket on the prop flange.

use an 11tooth sprocket, mount it on an alternator to get a 3.6:1 drive

connect the two together using an 80 pin chain. the length is critical because i can use a connecting link like this:
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/images/rollerchain/singled1end.gif

that pin becomes the cam sync pulse that i need to be able to use full sequential ignition/injection.

I thought it was a pretty slick idea. I'm effectively getting two ratios from the same setup. 3.6:1 increase for the alt to spin fast enough to charge and an exact 2:1 reduction between the chain and the master sprocket to get the 720degree sync.

as an added bonus, it will probably be noisy.

it also places the alternator 13" away from the crank which is about perfect to prevent blocking airflow to the cylinders.

This is without a doubt the best Lemons build going on.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

The chain is a really good idea as i'd imagine getting a sync signal off of that engine would suck.  The only 2 problems i see with a chain driven sync is if the chain slips or if for some reason you need to remove the chain it might suck to get the sync in the right spot again.  Though a few lightening holes in the sprocket and you could have a few places to zip tie the chain in place and do what you gotta do.  I dont know how flexible the sync window on MS is with missing tooth.  I doubt you will have a problem though as long as you can keep the alternator adjustment tight.

The other possible issue is an exposed sync trigger could get destroyed by debris.  A couple of those chain links and a sync pickup as backups as im sure those arent exactly locally available.

Are you planning on having the sync pickup 90 degrees to the crank?  I'd imagine the chain will wonder a bit and will mess with the sync trigger to sensor gap constantly.  Not sure how sensitive MS is to different height waves sync pulse to pulse is but it may be an issue.  (the ecu's i use can only have a 20% voltage variation wave to wave or it ignores it as noise.)

There is nowhere you could add a hole on the engine to put a sync sensor in?  Is there an inspection plate anywhere that can view the cam?  Id imagine the cam wheel or whatever its called on this could have a bolt head or a small pin drilled in as a sync or even a sensor bung in one of the valvecovers reading a lifter maybe (id guess hall would be the way to go reading a lifter.)  The chain is definitely an easy option, i just usually try to minimize the sync tooth 'wobbleablity' and vulnerability. 

I saw a aviation tach on ebay a while ago, 2500 rpm redline.  Are you planning on displaying the actual engine rpm or "corrected" rpm after its geared up on a tach?

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

I thought about the wobble on the chain and here's how I'm addressing that:

the crank sprocket will be welded to the prop flange which is keyed at a fixed angle to the crank so that will never change. the sensor will be reading the teeth from the area where the chain isn't on the sprocket.

the tooth that the cam peg has to land on will be marked somehow probably by drilling a small hole in the sprocket. i just have to ensure the engine is on the correct cycle but it only takes two bolts to remove one of the valve covers to check the cycle.

the peg will be read at about the center of the engagement on the crank where the chain is the tightest until the chain and/or sprocket is really worn out.

also, megasquirt doesn't care of the exact angle of that trigger, it just needs to happen after the missing tooth and before the first spark event every other revolution. I should have a comfortable 30degree window that that trigger can happen in and still keep the engine in sync.

and yes, there won't be an idler on that chain, the appropriate amount of slack will be set by the alternator's position. probably with a turnbuckle of some kind.

I'm still torn on the tach. I'm debating displaying the transmission's input shaft speed instead of the engine speed to give the drivers something more normal to drive with. it would be about 0-6000rpms.

Marc, your chain and sprocket idea is genius.  Color me impressed.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Please bring this to Summit Point so that we could see a Radial vs 8-wheel, 4-rotor car showdown.

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

Please bring this to Summit Point so that we could see a Radial vs 8-wheel, 4-rotor car showdown.

the competition must be who can atomize oil the most effectively smile

322 (edited by Mulry 2011-03-02 01:15 PM)

firegremlin wrote:

If the universe folds in on itself, I'd wager it would be because of this and not because of anything going on with the Large Hadron collider. Too much Lemony awesomeness in any one local could gravely disrupt time/space. Might want to run this one by Hawking before letting it come to fruition.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

mulry; i thought that already happened at buttonwillow last year? the end result, was we all survived. those freaks with the hardon collider apocalypse theories have been debunked after that!

spent several hours in the shop tonight. no real picture worth taking.

The motor is now fully together other than the valve covers. those need some deep cleaning and a few modifications to fit properly.

the big items left:
-intakes
-exhaust
-transfer case
-shift linkage
-clutch hydraulics
-alt mount
-megasquirt wiring & tuning
-cooling
-oil reservoir

and all the parts are on their way for the above.

after that we just need to do all the cage & other safety stuff.

43days left to go. it almost seems possible!

marc, your build makes me drool. keep rockin'!