Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

OMG. So we can expect to see 5 backpack leaf blowers mounted on an MR2 as a cooling system?

Does this count against budget as it would also count as propulsion?

Heh... I figure a engine powered fan system is the way to go. Torque should not be a problem.

Daniel Sycks

Whatcha need here is a FW190 style 11 blade fan running at 2x crank speed wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Using water sprayers AND fans should reduce the amount of airflow needed. Maybe you could get away with 3 leaf blowers instead of 5.

putting water in the cylinders is more effective than placing it outside and it generates less visible steam. the megasquirt will be able to control it without issue.

Tonight i took the evening to reorganize the shop. it was becoming a tripping hazard. plus i'm waiting for the next order to show up from McMaster.

no progress planned for tomorrow, I have to spend the evening getting all my taxes done. i hate this time of year.

Marc was also distracted by a couple miscreants who stopped by to see if this whole thing was real or if it was like the moon landings.

Thanks for the tour, Marc.

Imagine my shock when I emailed Marc today and found out our car is living in a garage within a half a mile of one of the lemoniest project cars of all time.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

yukadas wrote:

Marc was also distracted by a couple miscreants who stopped by to see if this whole thing was real or if it was like the moon landings.

Thanks for the tour, Marc.

Imagine my shock when I emailed Marc today and found out our car is living in a garage within a half a mile of one of the lemoniest project cars of all time.

it wasn't a distraction. it was an excuse to clean smile

did you get my e-mail about your earlier offer to help? smile

Marc wrote:

putting water in the cylinders is more effective than placing it outside and it generates less visible steam. the megasquirt will be able to control it without issue.

Another suggestion I got from the turbo-beetle team was to run E85 instead of straight gasoline.  E85 is about 107k BTU/gal instead of the normal 140k BTU/gal.  So, less heat to dissipate.  Clever idea - never got to trying it.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

It's less heat to dissipate because you make less power wink I think alcohol would need boost for this engine to work - compression ratio is too low. IIRC you can run something retarded like 13:1 on alcohol, or run 20PSI of boost all day long.

K Car Stalker

I did get the email.  Check your Inbox or possibly your Junk and Spam folders.  I don't know why so my of my emails end up in the latter...

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

It's less heat to dissipate because you make less power

Alcohol does have fewer BTUs than gas, but your stoichimetric ratio is better. Instead of running about 13:1 on straight gas you'd run closer to 10:1 (don't know the exact numbers), so you actually get the same, if not more power. Plus, since you're running richer, you're taking more latent heat from the cylinders to evaporate the incoming fuel particles.

That said, I've never run alcohol in anything, so if anyone has a better technical explanation, please chime in and tell me where I'm wrong.

E85 is on our list of things to do if it runs too hot. but i can only do it if i find bigger injectors.

Ethanol dosen't have the high compression requirements that methanol has. both have great cooling properties and high octane ratings.

387 (edited by Spinnetti 2011-03-11 03:47 PM)

EriktheAwful wrote:

It's less heat to dissipate because you make less power

Alcohol does have fewer BTUs than gas, but your stoichimetric ratio is better. Instead of running about 13:1 on straight gas you'd run closer to 10:1 (don't know the exact numbers), so you actually get the same, if not more power. Plus, since you're running richer, you're taking more latent heat from the cylinders to evaporate the incoming fuel particles.

That said, I've never run alcohol in anything, so if anyone has a better technical explanation, please chime in and tell me where I'm wrong.

IIRC my Chemistry, Alky has a higher latent heat of vaporization (thus greater cooling effect as it changes state from liquid to gas) as well as higher octane. More power but higher fuel consumption.... Adding water will up the compression and cool combustion (if properly misted), so typically in very high performance applications water/methanol injection is a easy way to keep it running cool at high power. I've been thinking about that for my street car as I'm right on the edge when I run around 25psi boost.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

388 (edited by Marc 2011-03-11 02:56 PM)

alright, sorry guys. i spent most of the week feeling like crap and unable to go in the shop. i still feel a little terrible but i think i'm going to go in the ship anyways.

but just because i did not go in the shop does not mean i did not do anything.

I did get the following parts (some thanks to other lemon forum members, Thanks guys!)
-air filters
-crank trigger wheel
-5th throttle body
-flanges for the intake/exhaust
-piping to make intake/exhaust plumbing
-Yamaha rubber gaskets to hold throttle bodies on.
-shift cables
-fasteners to mount the valve covers
-gaskets to seal the valve covers
-megasquirt arrived

I think the first plan is to mount all the intakes so i can get the linkage stuff measured and ordered

off to the shop!

Marc wrote:

alright, sorry guys. i spent most of the week feeling like crap and unable to go in the shop.

Taxes often has that effect.

-Victor

sublimate wrote:
Marc wrote:

alright, sorry guys. i spent most of the week feeling like crap and unable to go in the shop.

Taxes often has that effect.

taxes did not help, but i had a cough that brought me to tears a few times.

Good to hear you feel better, hopefully some more pictures come soon!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

392 (edited by Marc 2011-03-11 08:24 PM)

Tonight's progress:

I finally installed all the valve covers.

I made 5 intake tubes:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0114.jpg

they would have been simpler if the engine design did not place the bolts so close to the pipe diameter. there was an extra machining step in there to remove some of the weld buildup.

here's one installed:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0112.jpg

and another view:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0113.jpg

the only issue is that the yamaha boots hold the pipe great but they don't stop the throttle body from rotating which will cause issues with the throttle linkage. i need to figure out an answer for this or change the throttle linkage to all cables so there is no force trying to rotate the throttle bodies.

and a request for the people out there watching:

does anyone have 5 injectors like this in the 400-600cc range?
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0110c.JPG

Thanks!

Marc wrote:

i had a cough that brought me to tears a few times.

I picked up a terrible cough (bronchitis?) at the Buttonwillow race (Dec. 4/5) and I wasn't able to work (or do anything else) until mid-January.   I sincerely hope that you don't have anything resembling that!

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:
Marc wrote:

i had a cough that brought me to tears a few times.

I picked up a terrible cough (bronchitis?) at the Buttonwillow race (Dec. 4/5) and I wasn't able to work (or do anything else) until mid-January.   I sincerely hope that you don't have anything resembling that!

after 4 days of it i went to see the doc. "I don't feel sick, but i can't stop coughing". she agreed that i did not look sick but my throat was obviously way irritated from all the coughing. she gave me a codeine prescription to bring the coughing to a reasonable level (still coughing quite a bit) but it's good enough. she said to give this a few days and see if it subsides. i suspect it may be something from all this fabrication that got stuck in my lungs and is irritating the crap out of it. keep in mind i write software by day normally. and i only go in the shop a day or so every other week normally. but it's been a month of 40-60hours in the shop every week.

Marc wrote:

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Airpl … _0110c.JPG

Thanks!

Talk to RC injectors or Witchhunter.  I've heard that they can change the ones you have to almost whatever flow that you need. 

http://www.rceng.com/
http://www.witchhunter.com/

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:
Marc wrote:

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Airpl … _0110c.JPG

Thanks!

Talk to RC injectors or Witchhunter.  I've heard that they can change the ones you have to almost whatever flow that you need. 

http://www.rceng.com/
http://www.witchhunter.com/

i was really looking for more of a lemony solution. i know there's no budget restriction as far as jay is concerned but i'm running out of coin over here.

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0113.jpg

the only issue is that the yamaha boots hold the pipe great but they don't stop the throttle body from rotating which will cause issues with the throttle linkage. i need to figure out an answer for this or change the throttle linkage to all cables so there is no force trying to rotate the throttle bodies.

what about a simple 6" of round rod welded to the intake tube on both sides of the throttle body coming off at 15 degree angles or so, to hold it? Kinda like fingers

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

i forgot to mention on the injector question that i do have a set of R1 injectors that i can make fit, but i can't find a spec on them to save my life. they are from a 2004 if anyone has better success than me finding a flow rate.

today:

added a flange to the back of the prop flange:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0120.jpg

this allows me to add the crank sensor (36-1 configuration):
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0116.jpg

and then i made a bracket that holds the crank/cam sensor. both are hall effect sensors to eliminate any low RPM readability concerns.
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0120.jpg

I do need to swap that out for proper length hardware and make the spacer something other than a few nuts and a washer. but the main bracket is made.

tomorrow i think i'm going to make the exhaust pipes. i've decided to angle them all away from center in a radial pattern to help mitigate potential sound pressure issues. after that i'll make the cam/crank sensor spacer and then probably work on the shift linkage now that i have the cables.

Cables are a pita but I think would be the way to go.  I think rods will be very tough to get the ratios all the same consistently over the sweep with the flex of the parts and the different lengths and angles of the rods.

Would it be better to join the 5 to make the sound more steady/quiet?

Looks awesome!

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?