Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Fly by wire without the wire?

What could go wrong?

Daniel Sycks

How about some cut to length bicyle shift/brake cable?
They have adjustable ends.
I would think it would fit into lemony budget.

Manny.
Elmo's revenge.

bike cables have too much friction.

I wonder if the cops will laugh or give me a dirty look if i say I was flying low to avoid radar when I get pulled over in this thing smile

Only if you have a radar jammer so they can't write you a speeding ticket

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Use a multi-cable system.  Have the main throttle cable pull on a piece that has five throttle cable pivots on it.  From there, run five cables to a pivot on each throttle body.  You can probably find five FWD throttle cables and pilfer a bunch of pivots from a pull-a-part for cheap.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

alright, we can stop discussing throttle linkage. i figured out a way to stop the throttle bodies from rotating so my initial idea works great.

here is what the brackets started as:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0133.jpg

and here are all the linkages before being installed on the motor:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0132.jpg

I had a hard time taking pictures that made sense so instead you get a crappy youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIEIXHGhG2s

That middle bracket should be your hood ornament.  It looks like an airplane!

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Trevor57 wrote:

yeah, i noticed that after i picked them up from the water jet shop. the holes are just cut lines so they can be folded semi-precisely before being welded into the right shape. this so the linkage misses the rubber boot on the upper throttle bodies.

Trevor57 wrote:

+1

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I got the missing pieces and finished attaching the two remaining throttle bodies to the linkage.

here it is:

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0137.jpg

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0138.jpg

the pedal pressure is a bit light but there's a good positive return. i think i'll add an extra return spring on the #1 cylinder since if i disconnect the control rod, the weight of the long control rod is just enough to open the throttle to about 20% this will also improve the pedal feel.

the extra tab that isn't welded or connected to anything is to add an extra return spring on the rod if necessary this will only be for pedal feel the extra spring on #1 will result in as much safety as is needed.

this means officially all three pedals are hooked up again (though I need the clutch installed to test the feel/travel on that). I just need the shifter and all driver controls will be attached.

I'm off to go figure out the shifter linkage.

Truly magnificent!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Agree, there's a whole lot of complicated win happening here.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

well, finished round 1 of the shifting system. everything is tacked in place and seems to cycle properly.

sorry about the bad pictures, it's getting awfully cramped in there and difficult to take clear pictures.

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0139.jpg
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0140.jpg
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0142.jpg

I need to finish welding everything out there, use cable clamps to secure the cable away from all the heat sources and connect it to the stock shift mechanism. probably tomorrow's task.

This gets better every time I look at it.

Have you finalized cooling yet?  5 radiator fans and a 5 KW generator?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

When are you thinking about firing it up?  You're putting countless hours, money and work into this, bless you, but geez I think I'd make sure it will actually run when you are done.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

When are you thinking about firing it up?  You're putting countless hours, money and work into this, bless you, but geez I think I'd make sure it will actually run when you are done.

yeah, i know what you're saying but i was waiting on a critical part to be finished from the CNC machine shop so i could put together the gearbox that transfers the power. without that gearbox i cannot start the engine.

the good news is, i *JUST* got a message from the machine shop saying they finished my parts a few minutes ago. so hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll be able to crank the motor and start on the megasquirt wiring.

Keep going! I want to challenge it in a race. This is the counerpoint to my car!

Marc,

Since Speedycop just found out that he is no longer a Lemons Legend, check this link: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=9004, you have for sure reached Legend status without even having the engine fire. If only I could have half your fabrication skills. Truly legnedary!!

Dirty Duck Racing, #83 VW Rabbit GTI
'10,'11,12,'13 -Thunderhill, '10,'11,'12,'13,'14 - Buttonwillow, '11,'12,'13,'14 Sears Pointless, '11-Fernley, '13 Sears Even More Pointless-Class B Winner,  '11,'13 Arse-Freeze Sears Point, Return of the LeMonites Miller Motorsports-Class B Winner, '13 A&D Northworst GT-Overall Winner in MT-GT

Mr. Unruly wrote:

Marc,

Since Speedycop just found out that he is no longer a Lemons Legend, check this link: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=9004, you have for sure reached Legend status without even having the engine fire. If only I could have half your fabrication skills. Truly legnedary!!

you can't throw that word around until i at least make a race and turn some laps!

i haven't done anything other than drain my wallet and made pretty pictures so far smile

You may not have achieved the status yet, but you proved to me at Autobahn that you are one heck of a stand up guy, and a real class act! Any overskilled yahoo can whip up a radial-powered MR2 with a whole ton of money and a measly 500 hours labor, but not any would bend over backwards to help total strangers on an unfinished Lemons build at the track!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

not sure what to say other than Thanks!.

anyways, i did make quite a bit of progress today but my buddy's web-server that i upload all my pics to is currently down and he's sleeping so i can't upload pics. they were just crappy cell-phone pics anyways.

the machine shop finished the new back half of the angry hamster's gearbox. I had to make a few changes to it but i got it bolted together. I also got started on the adapter from the yoke drive that they used to the sprocket.

the goal this weekend is to be able to crank the engine. i don't plan on it starting, but i'll be extatic if i can crank from the starter all the way to the airplane motor. I have to make a few parts yet, but all the parts i was waiting on are here so i have no more excuses smile

sorry about the lack of pictures. it's killing me also since there is so much stuff to show, but the guy that owns the web server says it will be back up tomorrow.

so skipping all the neat internals pictures, here's a video of today's progress:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE2kCBd0ejA

as you can see, the angry hamster box is now mounted. I'm off to go make the sprocket mount for the prop flange now. maybe i'll have the motor cranking by tonight.

ENJOY!

Looks good.
I know you've done all the calcs, but seeing the vid I'm still having trouble getting my head around all that power and torque running through one single row chain.

I'm hoping to make it out to a West Coast race to see it run.

-Victor

sublimate wrote:

Looks good.
I know you've done all the calcs, but seeing the vid I'm still having trouble getting my head around all that power and torque running through one single row chain.

I'm hoping to make it out to a West Coast race to see it run.

yeah, that chain has me worried also.

west coast? i'm in fort wayne, IN

I can't wait to see it at GingerMan.  Looking great Marc!

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584