Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Marc wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Sounds great, Marc. Why the replacement steering column? Didn't like how Toyota crapped up the stock one with all the cluster crap? smile

because the stock dash bar was in the way of the cage and it's less work to put in a new one than to mount the stock one. plus i wanted it a bit closer to the driver.

I wondered that too... On the lex, I've still got full power tilt/telescope and auto tilt away when you shut it off smile  - can't wait to hear that thing run.... Probably the coolest Lemons project ever.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

We had a pre-race planning meeting last night (beers with the boys), and your awesome project was brought up.  We can't wait to see it.  Will be you up there on Friday?

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

653 (edited by Marc 2011-04-07 06:43 PM)

tonight:

fire extinguisher is mounted:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0222.jpg

guages mounted:
(tach, head temp & fuel level)
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0223.jpg

as well as the steering wheel bracket and here's a picture that you can see it's relation to the driver's seat.
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0225.jpg

also the brake lights are wired up.

this car is turning into a very comfortable car to drive.

Cant wait for a video of it doing just that.

JdeMod wrote:

Cant wait for a video of it doing just that.

there's an ENTIRE week before the race yet. why should it be moving under it's own power yet?

smile

656 (edited by Marc 2011-04-08 02:19 PM)

I took the day off today. got lots of little things done, my intention was to get you guys a driving video sometime today but the damn bleeder screw in the clutch's slave cylinder broke. a new one should be here tomorrow.

Meanwhile, i did get the custom clutch line made and i solved the cooling and the prop nut anti loosening mechanism on one combined solution.

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0226.jpg

the fan is mounted to the prop-nut and the air resistance should keep everything tight. I'll probably add a backup strap of some kind just incase

but hey, this is only the first 1/2 of the day. dinner break for now and then more work

OMG... I think that may be the biggest salad shooter ever!

What could go wrong?

Daniel Sycks

658 (edited by Marc 2011-04-08 04:46 PM)

i would like to report that the spark cut rev-limiter is working fantastical. the neighbors came over and asked to see it run and it was dark outside.

every exhaust was shooting 18" flames at the rev-limiter.

GLORIOUS!

*THIS* is why i did this swap.

*edit* you'll just have to come to gingerman next weekend to see it for yourself

This thing needs a night race.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

no worries, i'll be sure to demonstrate on friday night and saturday night smile

Safe to say you'll be hosting a party on Saturday night at your paddock area.

Marc wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

no worries, i'll be sure to demonstrate on friday night and saturday night smile

Well I certainly won't be getting my beauty supplies from this Javansalon spammer.

I so much wan to see this car in action, and not just on video.

prakash wrote:

Javansalon is our solution designed specifically for beauty salons,Huntington Beach Beauty Supplies,fitness centers, SPAs, sunbed salons, nail bars, beauty parlours, hairdressing salons, gymnasiums, turkish hamams etc.With this solution You can easily manage Your customers, employees, activities, scheduled tasks, products and services, promotions, commissions.java salon provides the mosts elite and premier products for all our clients.

Ah Spam, and not even the tasty kind.

664 (edited by Marc 2011-04-09 04:07 PM)

IT MOVES!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW9JTeSxAGI

the bad news is this:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0232.jpg

I think i just might have to throw in the towel on this thing for this race. this makes me pretty sad but i'm not sure i can fix this and finish the car in the remaining time.

*edit* i can still bring the car to the race since i have a 2 car trailer to show it off. i can still start it and run it, it just can't move under it's own power yet.

thankfully we have a backup car.

sad

What happened? Axles couldn't take the torque or is there some misalignment that needs fixing?

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

YAY... BOOOO.   Well, it did sound awesome.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

How did it feel?

Well, I guess you have more time to tune it before its racing debut. I also imagine you'll be fabricating some axle shafts out of unobtanium.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I can't see any beach marks in the fracture in the photo. It was a small photo, but still...) Was there a pre-exiting problem with the axle or did the torque of the motor just overload it? Seems unlikely to the be the latter because I'd think your tires would spin first.

It seems like a team mate should be able to step up and handle this while you manage the rest of the project.

670 (edited by Team Infinniti 2011-04-09 06:31 PM)

I know its awfully easy to guess from the computer keyboard but is it possibly a combination between torque, axle angle and output shaft diameter?

Did it roll "lumpy" under load?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

the faliure was due to the shaft being too short. when i got on it after turning around the rear end squated which pulled the shaft partially out and then it bound and snapped.

as far as i can tell it was not a pre-existant fracture.

the car's power felt on and off because the tune isn't quite there yet but it feels like it will have way more than 160HP when it's done.

the car overall felt like crap because the rear alignement is completely off and also i was unable to shift into gear because of the linkage. i started it in 2nd gear for the video and just started with the clutch disengaged. it did not hesitate rolling off the stop in 2nd gear smile

sad  Worst news I've heard all day.  Please bring it so we can just hear it run and look at it.

(Be prepared to have a crowd)

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

sad  Worst news I've heard all day.  Please bring it so we can just hear it run and look at it.

(Be prepared to have a crowd)

no worries, my trailer can hold two vehicles and this won't prevent it from starting. i'll bring it along smile

we've got our 1985 MR2 with the 2ar-fe motor swap that we'll have to run instead. it's in really good shape and it goes fast. we'll still have a fantastic weekend.

oh and if anyone is wondering. the ride from the inside of the vehicle felt like i was in a bucket full of bolts ... in a paint shaker.

Marc wrote:

oh and if anyone is wondering. the ride from the inside of the vehicle felt like i was in a bucket full of bolts ... in a paint shaker.

Sounds glorious. Think of what that must feel like at high speeds.