Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

I don't understand what the problem is.  I built my radial powered MR2 in just one afternoon.

Here's the view you'll see in your mirror right before I pass you with all the thunderous glory!
http://blog.battjt.soliddesign.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wpid-2011-04-10_20-01-44_9842.jpg

This is from the back.  [Sorry, dog smudged up this shot.]
http://blog.battjt.soliddesign.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wpid-2011-04-10_20-02-49_5432.jpg

Here's a shot from the side to show some of the detail work that I had to put into this build.
http://blog.battjt.soliddesign.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wpid-2011-04-10_20-00-12_4791.jpg

Here I'm pointing to the engine.
http://blog.battjt.soliddesign.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wpid-2011-04-10_20-01-24_5242.jpg

Here's a close up of my engineering, and the paint detail, and my shop, and my other vehicles, and part of my house, and a tree.
http://blog.battjt.soliddesign.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wpid-2011-04-10_19-59-50_4121.jpg

See you next weekend!  It's going to be hard to concentrate on work for the next couple days.

Wow, a spoof on the radial MR2.

Lemons silliness knows no bounds! smile

Daniel Sycks

Fantastic.  We'll be in a rediculously slow Metro.  A 1L can of whoopass.  Ha ha ha

Marc wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

sad  Worst news I've heard all day.  Please bring it so we can just hear it run and look at it.

(Be prepared to have a crowd)

no worries, my trailer can hold two vehicles and this won't prevent it from starting. i'll bring it along smile

we've got our 1985 MR2 with the 2ar-fe motor swap that we'll have to run instead. it's in really good shape and it goes fast. we'll still have a fantastic weekend.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

NOOOOOOO.

If it's something that can simply be replaced, just finish everything else on the car and bring. I will be there, and would be down to lend a hand to see this fine machine on the track. Tell me what needs to be done.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Crab Spirits wrote:

NOOOOOOO.

If it's something that can simply be replaced, just finish everything else on the car and bring. I will be there, and would be down to lend a hand to see this fine machine on the track. Tell me what needs to be done.

i'm sorry. i've spent about 800hrs on this project so far since the begining of the year and i'm just completely spent at this point. this is fixable but it will require spending most of the remaining nights on it and it won't give me any time to tune it. last thing i want to do is go out on the track with an inadequate tune and melt down the motor.

it will make it's Lemons debut later this summer instead. but i will bring it to the track so people can see it in person. in it's current state it can still start and run, it just cannot move. if i start digging into this thing to fix it and i run out of time i won't be able to even start it at the track so i'm choosing to leave it as-is so everyone can hear it.

I promise it won't be long before you can see it turning laps on the track. but for now i have some sleep to catch up on.

Marc wrote:

oh and if anyone is wondering. the ride from the inside of the vehicle felt like i was in a bucket full of bolts ... in a paint shaker.

Just think of it as a massage while you drive.

Sorry to hear it popped an axle.  Could you spin up a spacer collar to bring the axle out? I cant tell which way is which with the broken axle pic.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Whether you make the race or not, the only word that can summarize whats going on here is "winning"

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

jrbe wrote:
Marc wrote:

oh and if anyone is wondering. the ride from the inside of the vehicle felt like i was in a bucket full of bolts ... in a paint shaker.

Just think of it as a massage while you drive.

Sorry to hear it popped an axle.  Could you spin up a spacer collar to bring the axle out? I cant tell which way is which with the broken axle pic.

i can but it would increase the already high leverage on the part that snapped. and i'd rather avoid that.

new axles are just as easy to make as a spacer and it would be the right way to fix it.

684 (edited by Marc 2011-04-11 06:25 PM)

alright, you guys will be happy to hear that i've decided to give it a try to make the race. the new stub will be here on wednesday and so will new axles that i will have to cut down.

got a bunch of stuff done tonight:

the only thing that can really be shown is the anti-rotation mounts on the throttle bodies:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0233.jpg

the todo list is down to the following:

tuesday:
1) brackets and whatnots to secure all the wire and plumbing in the back of the vehicle.
2) disasemble transmission
3) make panel to mount ignition and start switch
4) firewall holes to plug
5) make new proper length axle shafts

wednesday:
6) go buy some oil for the radial to consume
7) reasemble transmission with new shaft
8) make back cover for engine (see if freeze plugs will fit)
9) kill switch
10) roll bar padding
11) go to birthing class with Caitlin

thursday:
12) tune megasquirt
13) load up and drive to the track

friday:
14) tune megasquirt
15) swear a bit and tune some more.

oh and there's not much i can do about the shift linkage at this point. i'll try to tweak it but we may have to pick a gear in the pits and run with it for the entire race.

dude i'm willing to bet money on it that if this thing appears at gingerman in any sort of running condition(even if it only cranks over without firing) you'll have have at least a few dozen other racers from other teams (sacrificing a time on their own important fixes no less) coming over an putting time in on your ride just to see it do one glorious lap of bliss till the party patrol shows up at 2am to shut it down.

"If you build it, they will come."

lol

hrlyTCH wrote:

dude i'm willing to bet money on it that if this thing appears at gingerman in any sort of running condition(even if it only cranks over without firing) you'll have have at least a few dozen other racers from other teams (sacrificing a time on their own important fixes no less) coming over an putting time in on your ride just to see it do one glorious lap of bliss till the party patrol shows up at 2am to shut it down.

In case they don't, the Lemons Supreme Court will start dealing out Get Out Of Penalty Box Free Cards and/or arm-twisting and force every skilled fabricator on the premises to help out.

Judge Phil wrote:
hrlyTCH wrote:

In case they don't, the Lemons Supreme Court will start dealing out Get Out Of Penalty Box Free Cards and/or arm-twisting and force every skilled fabricator on the premises to help out.

Aww this is starting to make me feel all warm and fuzzy. No wonder I'm addicted to this even though I've never been to a race.

Marc wrote:

alright, you guys will be happy to hear that i've decided to give it a try to make the race. the new stub will be here on wednesday and so will new axles that i will have to cut down.

got a bunch of stuff done tonight:

the only thing that can really be shown is the anti-rotation mounts on the throttle bodies:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Airpl … G_0233.jpg

the todo list is down to the following:

tuesday:
1) brackets and whatnots to secure all the wire and plumbing in the back of the vehicle.
2) disasemble transmission
3) make panel to mount ignition and start switch
4) firewall holes to plug
5) make new proper length axle shafts

wednesday:
6) go buy some oil for the radial to consume
7) reasemble transmission with new shaft
8) make back cover for engine (see if freeze plugs will fit)
9) kill switch
10) roll bar padding

thursday:
12) tune megasquirt
13) load up and drive to the track

friday:
14) tune megasquirt
15) swear a bit and tune some more.

Marc, I know its been said before but YOU ARE THE MAN.

Mostly i'm just glad i made the transmission easy to remove. the engine needs to be dissembled to come out, but the transmission can just drop out of the bottom.

I will take care of this...

Everything else aside from the basic wiring and kill switch you can handle.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Crab Spirits wrote:

I will take care of this...

Everything else aside from the basic wiring and kill switch you can handle.

hehe smile I don't think that would go over very well smile It's our first kid, it's a boy and he's due on May 24th.

and yes, there are things I could put off till I'm at the track but I won't have the axles to modify or the stub shaft until Wednesday so I may as well get as much done of the other stuff on Tuesday night.

Just-in-time manufacturing at its best. I always wondered how a lot of projects manage to come together 1 day before the deadline, after months and months of hard, hard work.

Do you sleep much, Marc? smile

K Car Stalker

Marc,

I have been reading your saga with awe and wonder and you are a Lemon's Legend before even arriving at the track. And now you are also a three time winner: !. Married a woman who understands, or at least tolerates, your Lemon's additction, 2. You are having a son to whom you can pass on your amazing motorhead knowledge and skills, and 3. You never give up, you are still working to get the Radial MR2 to the race this weekend!

This is certainly worthy of some new Lemon's award: Most Amazing Build by a First Time Father (who attends birthing classes)!

I just hope someone will be streaming a video of your masterpiece this weekend. I need to see the car move live and in color.

Dirty Duck Racing, #83 VW Rabbit GTI
'10,'11,12,'13 -Thunderhill, '10,'11,'12,'13,'14 - Buttonwillow, '11,'12,'13,'14 Sears Pointless, '11-Fernley, '13 Sears Even More Pointless-Class B Winner,  '11,'13 Arse-Freeze Sears Point, Return of the LeMonites Miller Motorsports-Class B Winner, '13 A&D Northworst GT-Overall Winner in MT-GT

firegremlin wrote:

Just-in-time manufacturing at its best. I always wondered how a lot of projects manage to come together 1 day before the deadline, after months and months of hard, hard work.

Do you sleep much, Marc? smile

no, I don't sleep much lately.  having a child should be a walk in the park compared to this smile

this thing would have been done yesterday if it wasn't for that damn shaft.

Mr. Unruly wrote:

...Married a woman who understands, or at least tolerates, your Lemon's additction...

yes, Caitlin is the one that deserves the award here. she's pretty awesome and she has a sister. but she's nothing like her sister smile

697 (edited by hrlyTCH 2011-04-12 09:00 AM)

Marc wrote:
Mr. Unruly wrote:

...Married a woman who understands, or at least tolerates, your Lemon's additction...

yes, Caitlin is the one that deserves the award here. she's pretty awesome and she has a sister. but she's nothing like her sister smile

+1 to that (even though I'm single and that type of woman seems to be 1 in 100000 or so)

hrlyTCH wrote:
Marc wrote:
Mr. Unruly wrote:

+1 to that (even though I'm single and that type of woman seems to be 1 in 100000 or so)

no idea how to find them, i got lucky. but here's how you tell if the one you found is the one:

propose on a trip like this:
http://marclabranche.com/WOB/MarcCait/images/IMG_2527.JPG

If she says yes and does not change her mind after eating dirt for 700miles through the desert, hold onto her forever!

During one of my visits, I did glimpse Caitlin.  I'm fairly certain she casts a saintly glow.  It could have been the "motherly glow" that I've heard of, but considering what was happening in the garage, I must believe it was the former.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

well, the new axle shafts to modify won't be here till tomorrow. damnit.

but i did get the transmission disasembled to fix the offensive part:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0234.jpg

the only problems in the transmission are the 3-4 and the 5th gear shift forks.
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0235.jpg

that explains why it's damn hard to shift into gear. i'll have to see about welding on a bit of extra material here to build up the shift fork. i'm not going to worry about 5th gear but the 3-4 fork will get a bit of love tonight.

here's the broken part removed:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/IMG_0237.jpg

looks like the damage did not carry to anything else in there. so i should be all good with the replacement coming.