Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Wait, but the other flywheel is attached to the driveline almost all the time, and therefore its inertia is irrelevant as the weight of the whole car moving down the road kinda overshadows the inertia of a little spinning disk by a wide margin.

My main point was to use a dampened sprocket. It has six rubber blocks that act as dampeners. The center shaft keeps the sprocket centered and perpendicular to the axle line, while allowing it to rotate freely with respect to the wheel, if not for the rubber bushings.

As for the wear, if you do a lot of clutch drops and wheelies on your bike, you'll stretch the chain pretty fast, too. Seems like it was the vibration that killed the chain/sprocket/shaft and not the 600lb/ft of torque - #630 chain is plenty tough. Hayabusa uses a 530 and it puts down over 700 lb/ft on the driven wheel (not at the engine RPM, but at the wheel RPM, obviously).

That of course is irrelevant since my motorcycle wheel is an 18" wheel, which means it's not gonna fit anyway sad

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

Wait, but the other flywheel is attached to the driveline almost all the time, and therefore its inertia is irrelevant as the weight of the whole car moving down the road kinda overshadows the inertia of a little spinning disk by a wide margin.

My main point was to use a dampened sprocket. It has six rubber blocks that act as dampeners. The center shaft keeps the sprocket centered and perpendicular to the axle line, while allowing it to rotate freely with respect to the wheel, if not for the rubber bushings.

As for the wear, if you do a lot of clutch drops and wheelies on your bike, you'll stretch the chain pretty fast, too. Seems like it was the vibration that killed the chain/sprocket/shaft and not the 600lb/ft of torque - #630 chain is plenty tough. Hayabusa uses a 530 and it puts down over 700 lb/ft on the driven wheel (not at the engine RPM, but at the wheel RPM, obviously).

That of course is irrelevant since my motorcycle wheel is an 18" wheel, which means it's not gonna fit anyway sad

the vehicle's weight is different than a flywheel. once you're beyond very light throttle and low speeds the load is always in one direction.

928 (edited by SAEBajaKid 2011-05-03 03:12 AM)

Marc wrote:

1) the lower sprocket was worn significantly after 1 lap (it may have lasted about 20 before being unable to transfer torque). keep in mind this was a stupidly strong titanium sprocket.

Shouldn't there be some steel alloy that has considerable strength and wear properties versus titanium? Ti is only superior to steel in its strength to weight ratio.

(been following this thread for a while, decided to sign up to the forums because this whole system is a very interesting design problem)

SAEBajaKid wrote:
Marc wrote:

1) the lower sprocket was worn significantly after 1 lap (it may have lasted about 20 before being unable to transfer torque). keep in mind this was a stupidly strong titanium sprocket.

Shouldn't there be some steel alloy that has considerable strength and wear properties versus titanium? Ti is only superior to steel in its strength to weight ratio.

(been following this thread for a while, decided to sign up to the forums because this whole system is a very interesting design problem)

absolutely, I could start looking into different tool steels. but honestly i'm done with that design direction. there are plenty of much better ways to solve this.

as a side note, i did receive the haldex differential yesterday. I'll report some findings on it later this week when i have time to open and inspect it. but the first thing to note is that it is much smaller than i initially expected.

If someone has metal analysis equipment at their disposal. i'm willing to send off the lower sprocket so we can see just how much strength we're talking here.

it's an alloy so none of us really know what the strength truly is.

Marc, I don't know if you have talked to Jim much if at all but I mentioned that you were looking at the Haldex and he fears it will not stand up to the sort of abuse you are going to be tossing its way.

Shall I toss him in the car and drive out that way for a high level summit and putt putt golf outing?

PS- Got the door-stop trans returned with minimal fuss. They wanted to extend their regret that the part did not work for you.

Daniel Sycks

dsycks wrote:

Marc, I don't know if you have talked to Jim much if at all but I mentioned that you were looking at the Haldex and he fears it will not stand up to the sort of abuse you are going to be tossing its way.

Shall I toss him in the car and drive out that way for a high level summit and putt putt golf outing?

PS- Got the door-stop trans returned with minimal fuss. They wanted to extend their regret that the part did not work for you.

the failure rate does seem high, but when you look at it, it seems that everyone complains about the electric motor going out and nothing else.  the layout of the unit would make it pretty trivial to replace the electric motor with a belt and a pulley on the main shaft. this would not allow locking the clutch when the engine is stopped, but this isn't a problem in my particular application.

I must say though, when i got the unit i thought the clutches would be of a bigger diameter. i may end up right back at the NP246 route. the only thing that would make that path better is if i could put the clutch at the other end of the transfer case. but it's fairly fixed if i want to use the planetaries as part of my overall ratio.

Remember, the haldex clutch never sees a big speed differential in its normal life, since it starts acting as soon as it thinks a tire might slip. I therefore wouldn't expect it to have much heat capacity to deal with clutch slipping at launch (assuming I am actually understanding how you plan to use it...)

-Dave

Eyesoreracing wrote:

Remember, the haldex clutch never sees a big speed differential in its normal life, since it starts acting as soon as it thinks a tire might slip. I therefore wouldn't expect it to have much heat capacity to deal with clutch slipping at launch (assuming I am actually understanding how you plan to use it...)

-Dave

you know, that's a very good point. i think that's probably the nail in that idea's coffin.

I vote for the plan that uses a sealed torque converter (minus the auto trans) as a driveline shock absorber. Not that I know what I'm doing, mind you, but it seems the most junkyard-y of the available options.

Judge Phil wrote:

I vote for the plan that uses a sealed torque converter (minus the auto trans) as a driveline shock absorber. Not that I know what I'm doing, mind you, but it seems the most junkyard-y of the available options.

... except most converters have higher stall than this engine has redline smile I think it might be a bit difficult to use a car torque converter on an engine that idles at 1000rpm and redlines at 2000. Something out of a 7-liter diesel, maybe...

My position = rubber dampened sprocket and MAYBE a mulit-row chain like in TH400.

As another alternative solution, a strong planetary driving a chain driving a solid rear axle diff, with the gearing provided by using another high-rpm motor running against the sun gear. I have an 600cc engine with a ton of miles and a dead 2nd gear that I'm willing to donate. It'll take a bit of calculation, but in the end you'll have a smooth powertrain and some extra hp.

K Car Stalker

Guibos!

Can you just smooth out the power using a big flywheel, maybe something with about the same moment of inertia of the prop that was originally on the motor?

^+1

"Hello. Can I have you step out of the car please?"

Judge Sam wrote:

^+1

you would not say that when you saw how heavy it actually needs to be to match it. i doubt a 300-400lb flywheel would pass tech.

Judge Phil wrote:

Guibos!

yup, they are definitely in the plan.

i'm not giving up on multi-disk clutches. just on the haldex solution. I'm working on finding an NP246 for a reasonable price so i can inspect it and determine feasibility. trust me, it'll be more than lemony enough for your taste smile

941 (edited by SAEBajaKid 2011-05-04 05:12 AM)

So you have no idea what alloy of titanium it is? Could you get the info from your supplier?

I can run a quick rockwell hardness test on it (I know you can get some strength numbers for steel from HRC, so you probably can for Ti) if you want. But I can also tell you that steel sprockets will out-perform titanium sprockets all day, especially with the proper heat treatment.

Running a double (or even triple) chain will probably help with the stretching you're seeing.

Just some ideas.

The problem with guibos is that once they fail, you're SOL and will need a tow. A motorcycle-style dampener will let you know when there's trouble (via increased vibration and clunkety noise), but won't fail outright unless you insist on hammering the poor broken thing for several minutes non-stop.

K Car Stalker

943 (edited by Tyrannosullyrex 2011-05-04 09:16 AM)

Two gears are the motor and transmission, the third is the alternator, or the starter.

http://www-mdp.eng.cam.ac.uk/web/library/enginfo/textbooks_dvd_only/DAN/gears/epicyclic/epicyclicBIG.jpg

Or a pair of these with a short axle tube between them.  On eon the motor, the other on the input of the transmission.

http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/OLD_SITE/Prod-Show/winters/Winters-02.gif

I'm still a fan of a set up like the motorcycle belt primary drive set up, provided you can find different length belts for them.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/whitespitstop_2153_177907979

I would think the belt would give you a little dampening of the power pulses.  I know from following the thread you could make most of the parts in that fancy set up pictured, and just have to buy the belt and pulleys.

http://www.goodyearrubberproducts.com/P … mpanyID=21

Belts and sprockets available here piecemeal

Savings.com wrote:

http://www.goodyearrubberproducts.com/P … mpanyID=21

Belts and sprockets available here piecemeal

i've looked at these offerings. i'd be in for about $2500 before any fabrication and i'd still have major side-load concerns

Tyrannosullyrex wrote:

a pair of these with a short axle tube between them.  On eon the motor, the other on the input of the transmission.

http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/OLD_S … ers-02.gif

unfortunately too long to package in the car. otherwise a great idea.

Hey Marc,
I was contemplating your flywheel mass issue and I may have an Idea....
Semi trucks transmissions (Mack,Rockwell etc.) use multiple countershafts to disperse the massive torque of their engines.
Could you fit multiple "flywheels"(balance shafts)offset from the crankshaft to cancel the vibration?

Mkotzias wrote:

Hey Marc,
I was contemplating your flywheel mass issue and I may have an Idea....
Semi trucks transmissions (Mack,Rockwell etc.) use multiple countershafts to disperse the massive torque of their engines.
Could you fit multiple "flywheels"(balance shafts)offset from the crankshaft to cancel the vibration?

i know exactly what you're talking about. i don't know what multiple countershafts has to do with ballance shafts but it doesn't matter.

Yes, i'm quite certain that a properly designed balance shaft would help things out significantly. unfortunately i have no frekin' clue what a properly designed balance shaft should look like.

there's quite a bit to them:

http://file.seekpart.com/productsimage/2010/6/21/2010621154239500.jpg

for what it's worth, my motor did get the navy's recommended balance modification on the crank. so it's probably as good as it's going to get without me getting a 2nd and maybe a 3rd engineering degree.

949 (edited by Mkotzias 2011-05-07 08:50 AM)

You got me beat on how to measure how much weight offset would be needed with the radial configuration.
under "normal" conditions, the offset is directly proportional to the weight of the pistons and con rods.
The rigid mounting, and spinning rather than fixed crank shaft compound the problem.
Maybe the weight of the cylinder jugs/ heads could be measured (since normally they spin)
and add that offset weight opposite the firing cylninder taking into consideration the distance from the centerline?(higher amplitude further away)
I think that may solve the huge flywheel problem.( A reasonably sized one with a counterweight attached is what I have pictured.)
Simple logic but it may help....

Its a radial, not a rotary. The cylinders don't spin unless the plane spins....