Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

I'm not really following what you're saying about the chain deforming itself. Where do you see deformation?

-Dave

Eyesoreracing wrote:

I'm not really following what you're saying about the chain deforming itself. Where do you see deformation?

-Dave

the centrifugial force/ inertia of the chain is causing an otherwise properly tensioned chain to go in a path that is something other than the direct path between the sprockets. the slack has to come from somewhere in the system.

I think we're seeing different things here.

What I think you're seeing: You assume (or maybe saw on an earlier photo I haven't seen) the chain was tensioned enough that, when stationary, it's tight between the sprockets on both sides. So, under load, the big wave on one side tells you the tight side must be stretching to create the slack that's evident on the slack side.

What I'm seeing: I assume that much slack was in the chain as assembled. That's a conventional thing for a motorcycle (though I think the reason is to allow for the slight change in sprocket-to-sprocket distance as the suspension moves through its stroke, so it seems unnecessary in this application). The big arc on the slack side is exactly what you'd expect to see with an o-ring sealed chain. The o-rings sealing each link cause a fair amount of resistance when you try to bend the chain. As a result, the chain, once wrapped around the sprocket, will tend to try and follow that curve as the individual links try to stay in their current orientation. This will cause the slack side to have a wave like you see in the pictures.

I have no idea which of us is seeing the truth (or if I'm even understanding what you're seeing)

-Dave

Eyesoreracing wrote:

I think we're seeing different things here.

What I think you're seeing: You assume (or maybe saw on an earlier photo I haven't seen) the chain was tensioned enough that, when stationary, it's tight between the sprockets on both sides. So, under load, the big wave on one side tells you the tight side must be stretching to create the slack that's evident on the slack side.

What I'm seeing: I assume that much slack was in the chain as assembled. That's a conventional thing for a motorcycle (though I think the reason is to allow for the slight change in sprocket-to-sprocket distance as the suspension moves through its stroke, so it seems unnecessary in this application). The big arc on the slack side is exactly what you'd expect to see with an o-ring sealed chain. The o-rings sealing each link cause a fair amount of resistance when you try to bend the chain. As a result, the chain, once wrapped around the sprocket, will tend to try and follow that curve as the individual links try to stay in their current orientation. This will cause the slack side to have a wave like you see in the pictures.

I have no idea which of us is seeing the truth (or if I'm even understanding what you're seeing)

-Dave

you might be right, but i remember his tensioning system leaving less slack than that

Ok Marc.  I think I read enough of this thread to be of some help.  I have played the chain drive car game a fair amount and figured out a thing or two.

First and foremost the main enemy of a chain is heat.  The heat is caused by the friction of the links pivoting as they round the sprockets.  A chain cools down on the straight sections between the sprockets.  If those sections are too short the chain will overheat.  Short chains die fast.  How short is short?  Under 100 links is a suicide mission unless it's in an oil bath.  That's the fact of it.  Speaking of lube, there are two things that are getting lubed on a chain:  The pins and the rollers.  The rollers are lubed from the outside with spray oil and this in not that critical.  The pins are pre lubed by grease that is contained by o-rings.  This is key.  What kills a chain is when the grease squirts out due to heat...

Next thing to talk about is tension.  There is really no such thing because properly shaped sprockets keep the chain rollers in the valleys of the sprocket and not the tension of the chain.  Vee belts rely on tension.  Chains don't.  All an over tight chain does is make more heat.  We run the chain on the Gnome with at least two inches of droop.

This brings us to sprockets.  The common thought is that they should be hard and stout.  Nope.  Really small sprockets (under 20 teeth) should be hardened steel but bigger sprockets work best out of aluminum because as the chain wears the alum beds in a bit and allows the load to spread over more teeth.  The key to the whole thing is to make the sprocket pull using as many teeth as possible.  Chain stretch is a misnomer btw.  It's pin wear.  As the chain pins wear the the links get longer.  If they get worn enough then they only engage the first few teeth on a sprocket.  Bad news.

Now for the really counter intuitive part.  You need to go to a smaller chain because your sprockets are too close together for a big one.  Go down in size until you get over 100 links.  If the smaller chain you are forced to use can't hold the torque then run them in duplex.  Or triplex.  Another thing you gain from a smaller chain is better cooling.  Something about volume going down on the square root with surface area or some shit. 

There are plenty of 530 chains that have working strengths over 10k lbs.  A quality chain like the EK ZZZ can handle the torque you have.  Think about a 150 Ft LBS motorcycle in first gear.  Prolly 500 lbs of torque on that coutershaft.  Decent quality 530 chain don't care.  Takes that abuse all day.  Moto chains are treated like crap by their users and still last an amazingly long time.  Clutch pops off the rev limiter and all that don't faze a good chain.  There is a huge range of chain quality out there though.  Any sport bike will have a good one.  Ebay will provide since sport bikes get crashed every 4th time they are ridden.  Sport bikes usually have chains in the 115 link range.

In closing, I can't exactly tell but it looks like you had a sprocket way out on an unsupported shaft.  Can't live long without a support bearing on the other end of the shaft.

I hope this helps you get closer to a design that can last a whole race.  I really don't think you need a cush drive or any of that.  The only reason some bikes have them is for comfort.  Just having sprockets on well supported shafts with a quality chain in the mix should be fine.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

the chain i was running was about 76 pins.

as for the sprocket way out there unsupported, the motor is designed with a HUGE bearing to support side loads, that wasn't the part that was giving me an issue. the one that gave me a side-laod issue was only about 1" away from it's closest bearing. but it does not matter, i'm getting rid of the side loads in both locations.

whatever will transfer the power will definitely be in an oil bath on the next iteration.

i'm also spending some time specking some bearings. the angry hamster box may need a slight upgrade on the shaft that sees 5000RPMs.

Not sure if I understand Marc.  Looks like a pretty long cantilever here.  The bearing is not the issue it's the flex of the shaft.  Am I missing something?  It looks to me that the shaft coming out of the engine would snap right off.

Also, your chain is not far from being workable.  A 530 chain would get you more links thus running cooler and it's same width as the 630 so it's load carrying abilities are nearly the same.  630 is a really arcane chain pitch from the pre o-ring days.

Marc, do you have a picture of the failed sprocket?  I would love to see what went wrong there.

GnomeFabTech wrote:

Not sure if I understand Marc.  Looks like a pretty long cantilever here.  The bearing is not the issue it's the flex of the shaft.  Am I missing something?  It looks to me that the shaft coming out of the engine would snap right off.

Also, your chain is not far from being workable.  A 530 chain would get you more links thus running cooler and it's same width as the 630 so it's load carrying abilities are nearly the same.  630 is a really arcane chain pitch from the pre o-ring days.

i know it looks bad on that top shaft. but the shaft is massive and strong. the scale might be throwing you off, the OD does not get any smaller than 4" at any point.

the sprocket is here: http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Airpl … G_0243.jpg i'm liking instead of embedding it because it's a huge image.

I see it.  Looks to me like a sprocket that got killed by a chain that wore out fast.  As I said, once you wear the chain so it's not matching the sprocket the sprocket gets chewed up fast as all the load rides on one tooth.  What actually stopped the car from moving in the end?  Did the chain start riding over the top of the sprocket teeth?  I can't tell from the picture if the chain was hopping. 
On other fronts, could you even out the torque pulses by simply raising the engine rpm range you are using with a lower primary gear?

I think you can get this to work by just going to a very high quality 530 chain.  If you really want to be sure, run two in duplex as that would give you 20k lbs of tensile strength and if you stretch that then you must have a really heavy car.

Kevin Cameron in the current issue of Cycle World has a nice 1 page history of primary chains and lubrication.  It seems Matchless used open primary drive with 2 oil drips over the sprockets, which worked fine.  BSA experimented with a fully enclosed chain but they kept failing.  What they came to realize was that lubrication or not, the chains needed a lot of cooling air to keep from over heating.  So, if you do go to an oil bath, or an oil drip, make sure the chain is getting cooled some how along the way.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

Kevin Cameron in the current issue of Cycle World has a nice 1 page history of primary chains and lubrication.  It seems Matchless used open primary drive with 2 oil drips over the sprockets, which worked fine.  BSA experimented with a fully enclosed chain but they kept failing.  What they came to realize was that lubrication or not, the chains needed a lot of cooling air to keep from over heating.  So, if you do go to an oil bath, or an oil drip, make sure the chain is getting cooled some how along the way.

this is an interesting thought.  is the article available online anywhere?

Marc wrote:
Parkwod60 wrote:

this is an interesting thought.  is the article available online anywhere?

I looked but couldn't find it on their web site.  The source he was quoting from back in the day was saying a chain without enough oil eats up 2hp, which is the equivalent of 1500 watts of energy becoming heat.  The only thing that kept the chains alive was all the air moving over them.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

989 (edited by Marc 2011-10-21 10:33 AM)

alright everyone, the last 5 months have been rough raising our first kid. i did manage to find a few free weekends to get our reliable Lemons car back up and running. we made it to the last autobahn race and there is no major damage.

finished our best place yet: 16th.

but enough of that, everyone wants to see more of the radial instead of that 4 cylinder MR2.

I'm in the process of reorganizing a bit of space in my shop. and then i'm getting started back on the radial.

this is the plan at the moment:

1) mount a 7.3L powerstroke flywheel and starter(possibly a different starter to change the mount direction) directly on radial crankshaft. no matter which solution i go for the rest, the shortest mount possible will be helpfull here. so that's what my target is. as short as possible.

2) change the crank/cam sensors to the motor. the chain driven alternator with the tab won't last more than 50 or *MAYBE* 100 miles. there's just too much slop. and the sensor keeps getting hit. it hasn't broken yet, but i'm sure it will before too long. by moving the starter to the radial motor i'll have a faster crank speed and won't need as sensitive of a sensor to catch it.

3)move most of the RPM multiplication to a planetary gearset inside the bellhousing of the transmissions. this eliminates many of the issues with driveshafts spinning too fast for the angle they are at. at that point, I'll likely be able to just use the boat V-drive that i already have to connect the motor's output to the transmission's input.

this still leaves the clutch up in the air, I've got a few ideas but nothing solid yet. it's likely going to be a reduced diameter conventional clutch or a wet-clutch setup. and it's probably going to be mounted to the v-drive but it may be mounted to the front of the transmission ahead of the planetary unit instead.

there are two driveshafts in this system. the top one will have low angle to not induce too many vibrations into the motor. if possible i'll use guibos here but i might need more angle than that. the lower one will have a bad angle and i'm most likely going to use a plunging cross-cut joint at the v-drive side and a 6ball rzeppa joint at the bottom because it'll be at a high angle.

i'm sure that lower driveshaft will need replaced periodically but it's a fairly sound solution. the speeds the shaft will be seeing is equivalent to about 150mph if it were driving a wheel so i don't think we'll be exceeding it's operating characteristics by much if we use good oil and we make sure that it has good airflow. it sure beets the previous plan that had it moving as if it was driving a wheel at 400mph.

the plan is to have this thing at the first 2012 midwest race. but our team may be scared of that early spring gingerman sno-ball race.

TLDR? cliff notes: there will not be any chains.

Marc wrote:

alright everyone, the last 5 months have been rough raising our first kid. i did manage to find a few free weekends to get our reliable Lemons car back up and running. we made it to the last autobahn race and there is no major damage.

finished our best place yet: 16th.

but enough of that, everyone wants to see more of the radial instead of that 4 cylinder MR2.

I'm in the process of reorganizing a bit of space in my shop. and then i'm getting started back on the radial.

this is the plan at the moment:

1) mount a 7.3L powerstroke flywheel and starter(possibly a different starter to change the mount direction) directly on radial crankshaft. no matter which solution i go for the rest, the shortest mount possible will be helpfull here. so that's what my target is. as short as possible.

2) change the crank/cam sensors to the motor. the chain driven alternator with the tab won't last more than 50 or *MAYBE* 100 miles. there's just too much slop. and the sensor keeps getting hit. it hasn't broken yet, but i'm sure it will before too long. by moving the starter to the radial motor i'll have a faster crank speed and won't need as sensitive of a sensor to catch it.

3)move most of the RPM multiplication to a planetary gearset inside the bellhousing of the transmissions. this eliminates many of the issues with driveshafts spinning too fast for the angle they are at. at that point, I'll likely be able to just use the boat V-drive that i already have to connect the motor's output to the transmission's input.

this still leaves the clutch up in the air, I've got a few ideas but nothing solid yet. it's likely going to be a reduced diameter conventional clutch or a wet-clutch setup. and it's probably going to be mounted to the v-drive but it may be mounted to the front of the transmission ahead of the planetary unit instead.

there are two driveshafts in this system. the top one will have low angle to not induce too many vibrations into the motor. if possible i'll use guibos here but i might need more angle than that. the lower one will have a bad angle and i'm most likely going to use a plunging cross-cut joint at the v-drive side and a 6ball rzeppa joint at the bottom because it'll be at a high angle.

i'm sure that lower driveshaft will need replaced periodically but it's a fairly sound solution. the speeds the shaft will be seeing is equivalent to about 150mph if it were driving a wheel so i don't think we'll be exceeding it's operating characteristics by much if we use good oil and we make sure that it has good airflow. it sure beets the previous plan that had it moving as if it was driving a wheel at 400mph.

the plan is to have this thing at the first 2012 midwest race. but our team may be scared of that early spring gingerman sno-ball race.

TLDR? cliff notes: there will not be any chains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHfOejlvVsY

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Just make sure to grease the muffler bearing this time....

Good to hear you're back on this.  We're rooting for you to take all the nickels.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

992 (edited by Marc 2011-10-21 12:08 PM)

did i mention that this thing hasn't run in 6 months and it's *STILL* leaking oil all over the damn shop?

these radials just leak. it's what they do.

*edit* don't you need a muffler to have muffler bearings? smile

993 (edited by stimpyvan 2011-10-21 12:23 PM)

Marc wrote:

did i mention that this thing hasn't run in 6 months and it's *STILL* leaking oil all over the damn shop?

I used to spend quite a bit of time with a group of guys that flew T-6 Texans.  They said that if oil stopped dripping from a radial engine, it was because it was empty.

Good luck with that build BTW.  Looks fun.

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

I was just wondering the other day what happened to this project, glad to see it's getting back on track.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

hmm, i just went to look at the flywheel and apparently the 7.3L is not an internally balanced motor.

anyone know another big heavy flywheel that is balanced? i could get the 7.3L one rebalanced, but there's no reason to since there's likely one out there that is better for what i need.

Hey, I was thinking about this the other day and I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT WENT WRONG!!!

Kidding... glad to see you are back at it. Look forward to more updates. Hope to see you and this car back at Gingerman next spring but this time we will be racing along with you guys.

Daniel Sycks

smile

found a flywheel. did not have to venture very far. medium duty inline 6 flywheels seem to all be balanced. (or at least not intentionally unbalanced)

998 (edited by FJ40Jim 2011-10-22 09:14 AM)

I was gonna say I have a pile of zero balance 45# flywheels off large straight 6 truck engines.

But you just figgered that out.  Glad to hear youre still thinking about this.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

stimpyvan wrote:
Marc wrote:

I used to spend quite a bit of time with a group of guys that flew T-6 Texans.  They said that if oil stopped dripping from a radial engine, it was because it was empty.

That is what a Marine Corporal told me the first time I rode in a CH-53 Sea Stallion and noticed that every surface was covered in a fine mist of hydraulic fluid.  Never got used to that.

OnkelUdo wrote:
stimpyvan wrote:
Marc wrote:

That is what a Marine Corporal told me the first time I rode in a CH-53 Sea Stallion and noticed that every surface was covered in a fine mist of hydraulic fluid.  Never got used to that.

while running it's pretty clean thanks to advanced synthetic oils. but sitting it seeps out.

but man, that castor oil that was all over when i first fired it up all came out the exhaust. i looked like a pen exploded on me.