Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

As much as I loved seeing the glorious radial chug away at GingerMan, I'm sure I would be equally impressed with a turboshaft engine.  If you think it will be a better engine for the car, go for it!

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I would like to see the car do one more race with the radial engine, so we can see it do multiple laps.

Has anything won IOE with 2 different powerplants?  Just sayin....

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

No pistons, no vibration...I can see where that would be tempting.  We would miss that great radial sound though, and the looks are hard to beat.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

I say stick with the radial, it hasn't had nearly enough time to shine.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

I'm guessing most people would like to see the radial have a good run, but hate you for changing it?  Its not like your sticking the stock motor back in.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

The rules say radials automatically get through BS judging but there's nothing about turboshafts. Uh oh... tongue

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Judge Phil wrote:

I would like to see the car do one more race with the radial engine, so we can see it do multiple laps.

my wife agrees with you. and the guy says the offer still stands after i race it one more time.

Junkyard Dog wrote:

The rules say radials automatically get through BS judging but there's nothing about turboshafts. Uh oh... tongue

i'm not sure i'd care if i had a zillion penalty laps if i'm driving a turboshaft engine smile

I'm also fairly certain that if i met the tech requirements with it, there would be no penalty laps anyways. but who cares... because JET RACECAR!

so anyways, i gotta get this thing done so i can move on. and this way i can't say i quit on this project. so here i go again!

1,059 (edited by EyeMWing 2012-01-31 05:33 PM)

Marc wrote:

of course, it would go in the same chassis. apparently as long as i don't let the motor idle down i should have no problems meeting the 92db @50' sound limit. they are noisiest at idle.

I foresee only pain and misery in the lives of your paddock neighbors. And I approve!

The real relevant question is WTF are you going to trade the turboshaft for? Railroad locomotive diesel? Warp drive?

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

The real relevant question is WTF are you going to trade the turboshaft for? Railroad locomotive diesel? Warp drive?

not sure. but it will be epic.

What's this other motor off of that he's willing to trade the radial for? I would think turboshaft is worth a good deal more than the radial.

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

St. Mary wrote:

What's this other motor off of that he's willing to trade the radial for? I would think turboshaft is worth a good deal more than the radial.

he's got a few laying around. gotta figure out what would work best but right now looking at a 150HP motor from a gen-set.

as for what's worth more. it's all in what you want and the radials are a ton harder to find.

i do feel like i'm getting a pretty good deal out of this.

+1 for the "race it one more time" camp

I know how much work has went into this project and how hard you took it when you did not get the results you wanted after Gingerman. I would also hope to see you give it one more shot to see what happens. If it works, great. If not, at least you beat a dead horse twice.

I'm a big fan of this car... its my favorite Lemons car and the one I give as example of the outlandish stuff that happens in this series.

One more time then move on.

Daniel Sycks

As an alternative you can try and suck this guy in to these crazy schemes.  If you get him involved maybe he'll let you keep the radial and give you a turbojet engine too.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

What car is that guy going to put the radial in?

It's your car, do what you want with it.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

As the poster child of ADBHD: Attention Deficit Build Hyperactivity Disorder -- I can sympathize with your dilemma wholeheartedly.

But I'll be the first person to champion an Intervention and orchestrate your kidnapping and subsequent sequestering so that we can see the radial hit the track one more time.

And yes, I'm being completely selfish.

dsycks wrote:

I would also hope to see you give it one more shot to see what happens. If it works, great. If not, at least you beat a dead horse twice.

I'm a big fan of this car... its my favorite Lemons car and the one I give as example of the outlandish stuff that happens in this series.

One more time then move on.

+1. Every time I heard that radial fire up, I would go watch it drive by in the pits and it just made me smile. It's truly an amazing project and wish the best of luck to you Marc.
Seeing it again on the track would be awesome. Keep up the good work!

#25 BuckSnort Racing
09' Nelsons / 10' American Irony, Capitol Offense, Bull Oil, Blago / 11' Gingivitis, American Irony, Shootout
12' Gingivitis, Shootout, American Irony

m610 wrote:

What car is that guy going to put the radial in?

a motorcycle, i haven't asked for more detail but I'll keep you guys apprised of it's final resting spot.

Spank wrote:

As the poster child of ADBHD: Attention Deficit Build Hyperactivity Disorder -- I can sympathize with your dilemma wholeheartedly.

But I'll be the first person to champion an Intervention and orchestrate your kidnapping and subsequent sequestering so that we can see the radial hit the track one more time.

And yes, I'm being completely selfish.

hmm, is there a machine shop at this location? you know how some people commit crimes to get 3 meals a day. I'm not convinced being "sequestered" where i have full access to a machine shop and whatnot sounds like such a terrible fate. smile

Tango wrote:

Every time I heard that radial fire up, I would go watch it drive by in the pits and it just made me smile. It's truly an amazing project and wish the best of luck to you Marc.
Seeing it again on the track would be awesome. Keep up the good work!

you say this like hearing a frekin' jet engine in the paddock would not be an equal amount of fun. imagine the show that could be had with an afterburner fuel nozzle smile

but anyways. Caitlin (my wife) had told me she wants me to make another race with this thing before i trade it. so it dosen't matter what you guys all want anyways. I'll do my best to get this thing running for gingerman or autobahn this summer and then trade it for a jet turbine which will end up in the same chassis.

this also changes the build goals a bit. it only needs to last one race, not nearly as complicated as before.

first task is to finish mounting that starter and get the new crank and cam sensor installed so i can run the engine again.

I'll work on it this weekend. within a week or two it should be running again. I'll post video smile

I can only imagine the experience will be much like this

(Warning: likely nsfw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLLi7QCw-7s

alright, it's not much. but today i spent the day cleaning all the stuff that had accumulated on it. yes, it had become a shelf in the garage.

but anyways, all clean now.

Then I made the replacement strut brace that clears the starter and i added a small bracket on each side of the starter to make it a double shear mount. the first starting attempt bent the single shear mount due to the starter's torque.

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0099.jpg

I've also got a revised transfer case design now that it only needs to last one more race. I won't bother you guys with the details, you'll see it when it's done.

here's the starting speed demonstrated:

of course, i'm short the new cam and crank sensor setup at the moment, so it isn't starting.

that's the next thing on my list and then i should be able to hear sweet radial sounds again! smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwr_j2LS89Y

Man, you sure do nice work.... Given your "real" work, could you make me a shift controller so I can use paddle shifters to manually shift an A650e?

Dave.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

1,075 (edited by Marc 2012-02-04 07:44 PM)

Spinnetti wrote:

Man, you sure do nice work.... Given your "real" work, could you make me a shift controller so I can use paddle shifters to manually shift an A650e?

Dave.

you say nice here and the  you post on the video about the runout? smile

btw, the runout is about 0.15" which frankly means i missed it by a damn mile. but the radial runout is more or less nonexistant so i'm not too worried about it. it'll still spin true.

not sure where the runout error came in. all the surfaces mated together are machined by me, so it could be any or all of the locations. it might be worth rotating the flywheel 180 degrees to see if the runout can be canceled somewhat.

as for the paddle shifters, yes i could. but i unfortunately don't have the time. just put a stick in it! smile