Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

So what you're saying is that the world's shortest possible driveshaft (that can still be called a driveshaft) is too long?

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

So what you're saying is that the world's shortest possible driveshaft (that can still be called a driveshaft) is too long?

No, no, no.  The engine is too low...  wink

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

This should find a way onto the front page of every automotive enthusiast webpage, journal, blog, magazine, throw-away, catalog, flyer....

just getting it running caused a ripple through the internet. jalopnik caused a massive wave of traffic to me videos. a running on the track video will surely have wildfire qualities.

i cant wait smile

Spinnetti wrote:

What could possibly go wrong! smile

smile we've been through that list already about 20 pages ago. it's a long list, a very long list and i suppose it can probably double in size now that i see it in the flesh.

EyeMWing wrote:

yeah, i'll have to cut it down to about 6.5" or so. i think it qualifies as a driveshaft it's got a pivot in both directions

zebrabeefj40 wrote:

No, no, no.  The engine is too low...  wink

the engine is about 3" above the roof line, it's not too low smile of course, the bottom valve covers are only 5" off the ground. so maybe it is. or maybe it's just a stupid idea to put a round engine in a car.  ... NAH, that's the right thing to do smile

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I'm having fun making this stuff.

Marc wrote:

the engine is about 3" above the roof line, it's not too low smile of course, the bottom valve covers are only 5" off the ground. so maybe it is. or maybe it's just a stupid idea to put a round engine in a car.  ... NAH, that's the right thing to do smile

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I'm having fun making this stuff.

Yes, it is absolutely the right thing to do!   I've got non-LeMons friends following this thread, and we are all excited about it finally getting on the track.   It will be an epic event!   The way you solve problems is an inspiration to us all.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

All that misfit toy stuff spinning in every imaginable direction makes my nether regions pucker. And I mean that in the most complimentary Lemons way possible. smile

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Junkyard Dog wrote:

All that misfit toy stuff spinning in every imaginable direction makes my nether regions pucker. And I mean that in the most complimentary Lemons way possible. smile

i know what you mean, i've sat in garage just listening to the mechanical whirr and the sound of 540cubic inches idling and i admit, i've been rather turned on.

anyways, i don't have much time to spend in the shop tonight. i have to get up early tomorrow morning to get an MRI for my shoulder. (for those that missed the other thread, i think i partially tore a tendon at the last race)

but i did get the drive shaft as well as the bracket cut down.

the driveshaft angle is not perfect, but it's good enough to run. it's about 12 degrees, not because the misalignment is high, but because it's so short.
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0493.jpg

but it's only spinning at 1600RPMs max which is about 40-50mph in most stock vehicles. nothing to worry about, it'll happily take that angle all day long

and here's the cut down bracket (that top plate isn't welded)
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0494.jpg

i need to get some hardware as my selection here ends at 5.5" for 1/2" bolts and these will need to be about 7" long. i also need spacer tubes.

it'll probably be Wednesday evening before i have time to work on this again.

Marc wrote:

the stock vent was sealed by hammering a ballbearing in it. it's cheap and quick

It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/1/1242698526_3.jpg

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Racin_G73 wrote:
Marc wrote:

the stock vent was sealed by hammering a ballbearing in it. it's cheap and quick

It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/1/1242698526_3.jpg

Wha'cha doing up ther, some stunt flyin?

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

figured i'd make today's update a video update.

no, it's not moving under it's own power, but everything looks good smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjYC9PfiuY4

1,235 (edited by Marc 2012-05-23 07:34 PM)

alright i could not leave it at that. i went out and spent a few more hours zipping up loose ends.

current todo list:
-charge battery
-add vent hose to 3000gt box. add nipple and hose to whatever the heck that adapter is called (between goldwing and clutch)
-fix vent on front oil tank to not dump oil out on right turns.
-finish welding new strut bar
-redo oil lines with something that is actually oil safe
-fix tach
-new CHT gauge
-tune it?
-fix rear window on MR2 does anyone have a stock MKII rear window for sale?
-race the heck out of it!

I'll stop by the hardware store tomorrow and get the vent nipple. but i won't be able to move it tomorrow because i have other plans during the hours that it's considered acceptable to run an airplane engine in a subdivision.

here's a picture of where we are at now:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0501.jpg

1,236 (edited by Mulry 2012-05-23 08:41 PM)

Marc wrote:

-fix rear window on MR2 does anyone have a stock MKII rear window for sale?

No, but I'd recommend 1/4" Lexan anyway. The glass will shatter if something lets loose coming back at you, but Lexan won't. Might crack, but it won't shatter. IMHO.

Marc wrote:

...during the hours that it's not considered completely unacceptable to run an airplane engine in a subdivision

FTFY.  smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Careful. You don't want Gladys Sharp after you.

http://neighborrevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/gladys.gif

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

I'm actually on the subdivision board. that's why i could not work on this last tuesday, i had to hear someone complain about their fence panel being disconnected and needing a "professional" to come sink 3 nails. it really amazes me how useless some people are.

i need to move smile

someone sent me the missing tip on the tach issue. apparently megasquirt needs a pull up for the tach. that's an easy fix!

I call "unfair psychological advantage" with this project.

If I come up behind this car on the track, I'll have serious seconds about passing because:

1) I would be anxiously waiting (read: filming) for some catastrophic failure to occur

2) There is a legitimate fear of having this thing wailing away just a few feet to either side as the pass is made

...well played, well played indeed.

wink

Joking aside, I look forward to seeing it in action.

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:

I call "unfair psychological advantage" with this project.

If I come up behind this car on the track, I'll have serious seconds about passing because:

1) I would be anxiously waiting (read: filming) for some catastrophic failure to occur

2) There is a legitimate fear of having this thing wailing away just a few feet to either side as the pass is made

...well played, well played indeed.

wink

Joking aside, I look forward to seeing it in action.

don't worry about filming it. Phil is putting a go-pro pointed at the action to catch when it goes.

also, if anyone else wants to do that to get different angles, they are welcome to. the only thing i ask in exchange is a copy of the footage.

as for the potential explosion, it should be contained by the car's sheetmetal. i don't really expect anything major to go, it'll be something stupid that lets go.

Marc wrote:

i don't really expect anything major to go, it'll be something stupid that lets go.

A simple nitrous oxide fogger kit will take care of that right-n-good!

The Pentastar whisperer

oops, i just went in the shop to stare at it before i head back out. the 3000GT box needs to come back out, it looks like i forgot to seal one of the surfaces. it has since dumped all of it's oil.

no biggie, just one more item on the list.

i also found out today where i can get lexan in town. hopefully i can get it tomorrow.

The phrase "First world problems" comes to mind...

Glad you're having those kinds!

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

1,245 (edited by Marc 2012-05-27 07:36 AM)

well, test #1 went reasonably well. i started it up with all the stuff connected and nothing blew up! somewhat impressive considering it's driving that super heavy subi flywheel up to speed through that system. it's not a no-load situation.

you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe5A4kt04Dc

it's cold so you can see the lack of bottom cylinder ignition shaking the entire car.

what it did show is that my transmission mounts aren't strong enough in the direction that the torque is applied. the whole thing shakes a bit more than i'm comfortable with and probably stresses the tiny driveshaft a bit too much. I'll add a front mount neat the goldwing box and we should be good to go. I'll get it done today and test again after that.

WOO!!!!!

current todo list:
-fix vent on front oil tank to not dump oil out on right turns.
-finish welding new strut bar
-redo oil lines with something that is actually oil safe
-fix tach (missing weak 12V pullup)
-new CHT gauge
-tune it?
-make rear window out of 1/4" lexan (may involve swearing)
-race the heck out of it!

on further review, i'm DAMN glad that the scatter shield was there. the *TING* you hear when the motor first fires up is the power causing the transmission to shift to the side and the driveshaft starting to bind. thankfully the scatter shield is close enough that it kept everything aligned enough to not fly apart.

a simple bracket will fix everything right up. working on it right now.

Glad it's going again! You might want to hang one of these under the rear bumper:

http://cfnewsads.thomasnet.com/images/large/573/573068.jpg

fantastic. Just amazingly fantastic.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

inside of the scatter shield:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0509.jpg

and here's what happened:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0511.jpg

i had only partially welded the bottom yoke on the driveshaft. oops.

Marc wrote:

I had only partially welded the bottom yoke on the driveshaft. oops.

It's hard for me to tell, but I hope you didn't weld a hardened part.   You probably already know this, but that is a sure path to failure.   I learned the hard way that a weld, or even a nick from a grinder, creates a stress riser that leads to a really fast fail.   I was shocked to see how fast a modified 1" shaft would break, while a virgin one would last almost forever.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"