Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

CowDriver wrote:
Marc wrote:

I had only partially welded the bottom yoke on the driveshaft. oops.

It's hard for me to tell, but I hope you didn't weld a hardened part.   You probably already know this, but that is a sure path to failure.   I learned the hard way that a weld, or even a nick from a grinder, creates a stress riser that leads to a really fast fail.   I was shocked to see how fast a modified 1" shaft would break, while a virgin one would last almost forever.

yeah, heat induced hardening can make parts brittle. unfortunately i don't have much control over some of the materials i'm welding but given that this is a forged driveshaft yoke intended to be welded, it's probably OK. i just did not weld it enough, no biggie.

unfortunately i will destroy the u-joint seals by welding it now, but this only needs to last a little bit and won't have time to rust apart.

Marc, you are a true inspiration to us all. No matter how many things go wrong, expensive parts break, or curve balls Mr. Murphy throws at you, you never give up and keep marching forward. You always find a way to make it work and I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

1,253 (edited by Marc 2012-05-27 10:46 AM)

PunisherBass wrote:

Marc, you are a true inspiration to us all. No matter how many things go wrong, expensive parts break, or curve balls Mr. Murphy throws at you, you never give up and keep marching forward. You always find a way to make it work and I wish there were more people like you in the world.

I do my best, and while this isn't one of those times, i've wanted to throw a match on this project a few times for sure.

the time i found out i had 5 reverse gears was one of those times.

the time i found out i've been ripped off on the custom sprockets was another one of those times.

but today, it's all good fun smile I'm just hoping i can put it back together from the bottom. but i suspect the top box will have to be moved to get it all back in there.

*edit* i just keep thinking "IOE" and that keeps me going.

Marc wrote:

I do my best, and while this isn't one of those times, i've wanted to throw a match on this project a few times for sure.

the time i found out i had 5 reverse gears was one of those times.

Yeah, but the rest of us had so much fun telling all our friends about it!   smile

Marc wrote:

i just keep thinking "IOE" and that keeps me going.

Likewise with the Super Snipe!   But my engine is only from the same manufacturer as the famous Hawker Siddelay aircraft engines.   Your engine puts mine to shame.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

If we can win IOE as a model of boring-ass efficiency that overachieves race after race after race, then you can easily win IOE for creating a monster more complicated and difficult to keep running than the whole field combined.

If I had a vote I would give you IOE if you just made 20 laps.  Again, getting to the race... Is part of the race.  smile

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

If we can win IOE as a model of boring-ass efficiency that overachieves race after race after race, then you can easily win IOE for creating a monster more complicated and difficult to keep running than the whole field combined.

If I had a vote I would give you IOE if you just made 20 laps.  Again, getting to the race... Is part of the race.  smile

That's the bar that Phil set last time. he said 20 laps and it's an IOE contender (not a guaranteed win)

well, i got the issue fixed and added a bracket to prevent it happening again.

it's not meant to carry any vertical load, just horizontal that's why it looks the way it does.
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0514.jpg

I ran it like that for a few minutes and it's smooth. reved it up and down without issue so i think it's time to try the 2nd voyage. I'm nervous as hell here.

You got lots of people pulling for you Marc. I can't wait to hear about it making laps!

Makes my mess of broken engines look like a walk in the park.
Wish I could be at Autobahn to see this machine in action.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8YLFHYClF0

everything felt pretty solid. i feel pretty confident about it now and it does not shake like it used to. probably because of the new flywheel situation.

1,260 (edited by Marc 2012-05-27 04:00 PM)

knocking stuff down on the todo list and i go to order the CHT gauge http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DAK-ODYR11-1/

and it looks like it won't ship till after the race.

anyone know someone that has this thing in stock? (or any other CHT gauge that goes to 600F?)

*edit* heck, the CHT is something that either will or won't be a problem. the new setup does not vibrate nearly as bad so i bet if i just get off the accelerator every once in a while i should be able to get a decent reading. i don't care what the temp is, just that it's below 600F and i haven't seen the motor run about 300F yet so i should be good.

Can you use a regular analog CHT gauge, of the sort used on air-cooled VWs and Porsches? The kind that uses a washer-style sender under the spark plug? This one on eBay should ship before race day. I've used this type on a couple of Beetles, and they seem to respond very quickly to temp changes (e.g., when you're running a Type 3 engine sticking out the back of a crypto-Baja-Bug with no ducting and the engine overheats about 45 seconds after getting on the freeway).

Judge Phil wrote:

Can you use a regular analog CHT gauge, of the sort used on air-cooled VWs and Porsches? The kind that uses a washer-style sender under the spark plug? This one on eBay should ship before race day.

that's exactly what i thought i needed so that's what's currently on the vehicle. the problem is the gauge shakes with the car.

apparently this thing has a bit more shake to it than your average v-dub.

Glad to see it move again! Congratulations!

About the CHT gauge: any reason you couldn't 'isolate' it, like old microphones?

http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/2010/12/03__05_44_00/Antique_Microphone.max_thumbnail1.jpg8bc8a0d2-c1ec-418f-9824-4ce85c57cca4Larger.jpg

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

1,264 (edited by fifty 2012-05-27 08:43 PM)

www.aircraftspruce.com have a ton of cylinder head temperature gauges. I couldn't find the exact digital model you were looking for, but they are worth a look.

Example: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i … GT_CHT.php

fifty wrote:

www.aircraftspruce.com have a ton of cylinder head temperature gauges. I couldn't find the exact digital model you were looking for, but they are worth a look.

Example: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i … GT_CHT.php

wow, i feel like a moron. they also have the 18mm CHT probes that nobody else has. i send them an e-mail to request some details on one of their gauges but this should work great.

Thanks!

this project is driving me insane.

i got a bunch of items off the todo list, down to the following:

-tune it
-remove pass seat
-add petty bar
-redo oil lines with something that is actually oil safe (new lines ordered)
-make rear window out of 1/4" lexan (may involve swearing) (can pickup on tuesday)

just as i got the tach working i turn off the engine and i hear the sound of a bunch of oil coming out.
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0519.jpg

damnit.

but further investigation led me to see that it wasn't that bad:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0521.jpg
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0520.jpg

so I'm off to the shop to go fix the shaft. I'll stop being concerned about that glide coat and get the shaft to the proper temperature this time.

Damn this year's schedule! I want to be the race so badly to see this thing run, and they go and stack the races up so that east coast and midwest races are back to back. Loved the vid, Marc. Keep up the good work!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

I'm sitting here wondering why i did not just put a driveshaft with two high angle double cardan joints on it instead of the 3000GT box. 22.5degrees on each u-joint is high but not ridiculous at 2000RPMs. it would have worked just fine.

probably because i thought the rotation direction needed to be the other way around at the time.

i would need a new goldwing box since i kinda made the current one a bit permanently mounted to that short driveshaft.

kinda like a bunch of these: http://www.driveshaftsuperstore.com/bad … shafts.htm

maybe i should bite the bullet and do it.
-new goldwing box (cheap)
-driveshaft components (probably $350 or so)
-adapter to go from both flanges to driveshaft flanges. (time only)
-new driveshaft safety catcher thingie (mostly time and scrap steel)

The 3000GT box/Goldwing transmission combo is very LeMonic. I say stick with it!

Judge Phil wrote:

The 3000GT box/Goldwing transmission combo is very LeMonic. I say stick with it!

the goldwing box would stay for sure. there's no way around that.

frankly there's nothing difficult about building that driveshaft. maybe i should just fix what i have and bring the parts to make that driveshaft if the 3000gt box fails.

Def keep what you have. Way to many hours into it not to run it. Do the other if this one fails.

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.

you guys are just sadistic smile

I'm just kidding. Do whatever it takes to make the thing drive. You've got almost 1-1/2 weeks! Plenty of time!

Marc wrote:

you guys are just sadistic smile

Um. Why do you think we do Lemons?! But yes, some are way way more into pain than others.

'00 Volvo XC - DD
'11 Volvo XC90 V8 - Wife's, V8 go Vroom
'12 Mazda5 - Work Thingy
'05 E450 Ambulance - Work Thingy

I'm down to the petty bar for things i can do today. just waiting for Sebastian to finish with his nap before i start cutting metal in the shop.

i ordered oil safe 5/8" hose for the oil feeds to/from the engine and i also ordered another goldwing box... just in case.

I need a new slip spline to machine to fix the 3000GT box and everything is closed today except for Napa. they show a listing but no stock.

looking into those driveshafts it really looks like PTO application stuff. which led me to another "aw damnit" style discovery. http://www.bare-co.com/files/pto2002/selgearbox.htm apparently this is "see spot run" type of stuff for the PTO application world. all the way up to the HP range that i need. damn did i ever overcomplicate things.

oh well, it's too late now.