Time for the final summary.
first up us the goldwing box. i figured this thing would look like it was on it's last leg. much to my surprise, it is showing absolutely zero signs of abnormal wear. the oil came out nice and clean and the tooth faces are still perfect.
this is pretty impressive considering the components were spinning what they would be at about 190mph and more torque than a 1st gear launch in the original application. these cheap gearboxes definitely have a future in my toolbox of fun bits to build stuff out of.
the images are huge so i'm just linking them:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Airpl … G_0020.jpg
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Airpl … G_0021.jpg
2nd i suspect is the reason for many of my engine issues. i took off a head when pulling the engine and this is what i found:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Airpl … G_0022.jpg
i needed to run this motor way hotter to burn that stuff up.
If i were to continue this (i'm not, the motor is already sold) i'd do the following:
1)replace the 3000GT box with something else
2)spend time on a dyno to get the motor to run much better
3)better shift linkage
That's it. I suspect with those three changes, it would have raced all weekend at about 3mpg. but certainly if i were to do it from scratch i'd avoid the two 90degree boxes entirely.