Re: Recommended tire and pads?

JThw8 wrote:
Uncle Humjaba wrote:

between the two, I'd rather have good brakes than good tires.

If the tires dont stick all the brake in the world wont matter, the 2 work in conjunction during stopping and are not mutually exclusive.

That was my point exactly.  As for tires that don't get greasy when they get too hot..I want some of those to put on my unicorn.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

indysupra wrote:

That was wear off the pad not remaining, So that would put us at 3-4 events on one set of pads, I put on the integra front and rears on the car.

I misread.  I thought you lost that much pad just running the practice day.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

We started running Lemons at MSR Houston in the Fall of 2008.

We run a 1973 240Z that I have upgraded to disc brakes all the way around with 300ZX (Z31) rotors on all 4 corners.

In that race we ran Porterfield R4s in the front with Hawk HP+s in the rear and Valvoline Synpower fluid.

The HP+ did not grip enough to keep an even front rear bias.  We did that because we thought the larger rear discs would grip more than the front.  We were wrong.

After that race we switched the rear to Porterfield R4-1s.  It's a vintage race pad that requires a bit less heat.  Our bias was about right at the point.

We ran the car like this through 3 MSR Houston races and 1 New Orleans.  The front pads had 4 MSR races on them. 

For Eagles Canyon we did a brake job and kept the car the same way it had been.  We wore through most of the fresh pads between practice and the 10 hour session on Saturday. 

So our first set of front pads lasted 5 races, rears lasted 4 easily.  One trip to Eagles Canyon and we had more brake wear in 10 hours than the previous 5 races combined.

We had some mild softening of the pedal so we most have gotten the fluid a bit hot and we warped the rotors.

We raced on 225/40R14 Toyo T1Rs for our initial 6 events.

For our most recent race at MSR Houston, Sept 2010, we put on Raybestos pads and 205/50r15 Dunlops Star Specs with Motul fluid.  The car is a bit different but very drivable. 

While race pads are more expensive they tend to last longer.  So I am sure you get more out of your money in the long run and you're safer.

I have no experience with Carbotech pads. 

My only complaint about Porterfield is sometimes things are a bit slow out of the door.  Granted they tend to have to make the stuff we order so keep in mind you need to order your stuff with plenty of lead time.  That said, I plan to continue to get my brakes through Porterfield.

Put good stuff on your car, the ass your save could be mine.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We have had good brake performance out of the Performance Friction carbon metallic pads and run them on both cars. 

The Dauphine had excellent brake performance using them front and rear with Yokohama AVS-es100 tires.  Handling was pretty decent too as long as you stay out of the gravel...

The heavy and fast Lincoln uses a set of fronts per race.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:

Handling was pretty decent too as long as you stay out of the gravel...

Sounds like a pneumatically deployed rudder upgrade for the yellow submarine is in order

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Well I got an email back from Carbotech. They said RP2 for the front and XP8 for the back if we plan on racing multiple times; XP8 on both if we don't.

Thanks for the recommendations all, I think we'll probably be going with the Carbotechs. I've heard nothing but great things about them from the Miata world and the Mustang world, and they're not as expensive as the Porterfield or Raybestos pads. They also have a discount for Lemons teams - how could I not support a company like that?

So, the final question:
Dunlop Star Specs - 195/55/15 or 205/50/15 on stocker 15x6" wheels? Will the 205's even fit?

205s are easy.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

We have the RP 2 after talking to carbotech about Tony Stewart's 24 hour chumpcar race at VIR.  Less than 1/2 worn and I believe, same rotors for the whole race.

Ours look almost new after 14 1/2 hours at Summit.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

We have the RP 2 after talking to carbotech about Tony Stewart's 24 hour chumpcar race at VIR.  Less than 1/2 worn and I believe, same rotors for the whole race.

They spent more time in the pits than on the track so I don't think that is a good benchmark.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

We ran AutoZone Duralasts on the front.  They lasted testing, practice for 6 drivers and 1 lap short of the full Summit race.  Turns out they were doing all the work too - during the race the rears stopped working.  And we did not suffer from a lack of brakes.

Porterfields at $230 would have to last a lot of races (like 11) to be worth it.

Troy wrote:

While race pads are more expensive they tend to last longer.  So I am sure you get more out of your money in the long run and you're safer.

Put good stuff on your car, the ass your save could be mine.

^+1.

It seems as though I read a bunch of people saying that they got one race, or even just one day, on of a set of pads. Some teams are only getting one weekend out of a set of rotors. Others say that they only got one weekend out of a set of tires.

Maybe we're just lucky, but we've done 3 full races, including ECR, on the same set of pads, rotors and tires. The pads/rotors were pretty expensive (PFC's), but it seems worthwhile now, as we haven't had to replace them yet. In fact, the front pads still have just over 50% left on them. As for tires, we're running Star Specs, and they're still well above the wear bars. Our car is fairly heavy (probably around 3000lbs with gas + driver) and while we're not particularly slow, we're also not the fastest car out there by a long shot.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

VKZ24 wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

They spent more time in the pits than on the track so I don't think that is a good benchmark.

From what I heard, Tony's Camaro (I'm not referring to the Supra's) was only out 1 time for a radiator change.  45 minutes, if not less.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

38 (edited by sergio 2010-09-15 10:57 AM)

Doug I wrote:

We ran AutoZone Duralasts on the front.  They lasted testing, practice for 6 drivers and 1 lap short of the full Summit race.  Turns out they were doing all the work too - during the race the rears stopped working.  And we did not suffer from a lack of brakes.

Porterfields at $230 would have to last a lot of races (like 11) to be worth it.

We had to use AZ Duracrap pads on Sunday in Feb. because it was the only pad we could find Saturday night. We got 2 sets of front pads for 5 hours of racing just to be safe. Well, one set lasted the 5 hours just barely. One pad was metal to metal. And that was with an hour of full course caution because of the flipped Mustang. If it would have been green most of the time the pads would have been toast.

Then there's the problem with pedal feel. It was shit with Duracrap. Stopping power is also a big POS. I don't know but our 3100# pig needs all the brake help it can get. Sure lighter cars can probably use inferior pads, but the minute you use something that was made for what we do, you'll see the light. Who said racing was cheap?

Raybestos ST-43. Because failure is not an option.

Our mustang weighs in at 2507# with 1/2 a tank of gas.  So we got 20 hours out of a set (even with the rear shoes not doing any braking for 15 of those hours), and you got 5 .... therein is probably the problem with Duralasts ..... inconsistency of the pad material.

Sure we hauling in 600# less, but I can't see that weight making a 4-fold reduction in pad life.

Brake feel was good, for our drivers that could, heel-n-toe was pretty easy.  The rest of us just drove the car and broke the clutch.  It was a $50 AutoZone that we broke Saturday, and put another 1 in.

We've got a testing day coming up.  We're going to put the same pads in and we'll monitor wear pretty closely to see how this set hold up.

We're running Hawk MT4 in the front and HP+ in the back.  Worked great for us so far.  Got them from raceshopper.com  They were very helpful.

41 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-09-15 05:58 PM)

So, the decision has been made - XP8's front and back, and 205 star specs all around.

Now, best place to buy tires I've found is tirerack. Anywhere cheaper online? Is it safe to assume nobody would stock these locally?

And this is on the topic of the cage; this isn't our cage, but the guy who welded this will be doing our cage. Look good (sorry for the iphone pic quality)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5981474/weld.jpg

Looks a lot better than many I have seen in pics of some Lemons cars.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

Hawk DTC-60's are great race pads

Uncle Humjaba wrote:

So, the decision has been made - XP8's front and back, and 205 star specs all around.

Now, best place to buy tires I've found is tirerack. Anywhere cheaper online? Is it safe to assume nobody would stock these locally?

i looked all over for better prices on Star Specs a few weeks ago, and TR was the best i could find.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
Uncle Humjaba wrote:

i looked all over for better prices on Star Specs a few weeks ago, and TR was the best i could find.

Me too. It's like no one carries them other than the TR.

discount tire will always price match the at your door price of tire rack.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Trevor57 wrote:

discount tire will always price match the at your door price of tire rack.

Discount told me they couldn't get Star Specs. Just the D101's. This is in Houston, don't know what they do in other places.

Hmm, how 'bout a new category
- where you are allowed to run $15 pressed lettuce-leaf pads, changed as often as you like (fire extinguisher on hand of course)?
- and the for tires, your choice of any of Sears Roadhandler 100k mile tires.
(extra laps awarded for actually generating g forces on the skidpad)
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/pres … 26348.html
~oh, and the bigger question would be where to find out-of-production tires~

It would be like ice-racing in the hot and dry!

crazymike wrote:

Hmm, how 'bout a new category
- where you are allowed to run $15 pressed lettuce-leaf pads, changed as often as you like (fire extinguisher on hand of course)?
- and the for tires, your choice of any of Sears Roadhandler 100k mile tires.
(extra laps awarded for actually generating g forces on the skidpad)
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/pres … 26348.html
~oh, and the bigger question would be where to find out-of-production tires~

It would be like ice-racing in the hot and dry!

Don't laugh but we used a piece of wood for a rear pad just to test drive the car r\around the neighborhood.

50 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-09-16 04:03 PM)

Cage is here, goes in this weekend. Pads are shipped, should be here on Monday.  Hopefully tires will be ordered soon. Seat comes in tonight. Zip tied gauge pod okay?