Re: Have we screwed ourselves?

ronman wrote:

What?
... and the only RWD Ford I can recall with a V6 and IRS is the '06+ Explorer. And the Fox platform evolved dramatically into SN95 for MY1994. The only use of the IRS in that platform is the '96+ Cobra. V6s absolutely never had IRS.

so the DEW98-platform Lincoln LS doesn't count? and the 10th Gen MN12 platform Ford Thunderbird doesn't count either? I swear at one time there was I think it was a motor trend article that pointedly said something to the effect of the late SN-95 (99-04) had IRS on the v6s and on the Cobras, but not the GTs. Could have easily been a fluke for the 00MY or some retracted announcement or that ford gave them a "special" press car. I used 'fox body' very losely since the Mustang was essentially on the same platform from 79-04.(I know, there were tons of revisions, but in the same respect the Panther platform was rolling around since the 70s)

Re: Have we screwed ourselves?

That's not a Ford. wink
And yeah, I wasn't thinking about the 3.8 MN12. The only ones I ever have to deal with are 4.6s so I just assume they were all bought by people who appreciate the superiority of a V8. wink

The amount of steel that changed on the Mustang (and I'm not talking about bodywork) from '93 to '94 was pretty vast. The amount that changed from '79 to '02 was pretty insignificant; the addition of the Watt's linkage in '98 was really the biggest change. '03 was a substantial change.

But regardless, numerous sources point to the expense and weight of the modular IRS used in the Cobra. So unless it was a "tuner" car or an enthusiast's ride (and really, how many V6 Mustang enthusiasts are there?) it wasn't a thing. And there wasn't anything special about '00; the "New Edge" styling debuted in '99, and there was no '00 Cobra...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones