Re: carburetion inquisition

IMO the Ford Motorcraft 4150 is the most underrated carb of all time. A big Holley at pick and pull prices.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Crab Spirits wrote:

I think if you're building something REALLLLY stupid (awesome), a carb is almost required.

Right you are, Ken. big_smile

http://ronman.org/pics/Lemons/co10/img_3207_std.jpg

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Good point, electricals are simple. Our car will start and run using only about 8 feet of wire plus the battery cable.

Crab Spirits wrote:

I think if you're building something REALLLLY stupid (awesome), a carb is almost required.

oh yeah  its going to be awesome

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

Wild swap...love the rusty 18-inch adjustable wrench...I assume that's for setting the mixture...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

31 (edited by komododave 2010-10-05 03:13 PM)

RichVS wrote:

Give me a break, it's a carburetor, not a timebomb.

We bought a $15 dollar Motorcraft 2150, built an adaptor out of sheet metal and high temp silicone, plugged in the fuel line, and hit the gas.  Vroom!  Done.  Jetted a bit too big for the 4.2, but it worked great.  The rest of the engine is the time bomb.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Wild swap...love the rusty 18-inch adjustable wrench...I assume that's for setting the mixture...

I'd put my money on freeing up a sticking needle or float.

EriktheAwful wrote:

We're yanking our EFI Jag motor and installing a carbed motor. I'm a lot happier with the carb even though I've had formal training on diagnosing EFI systems. Especially since Jaguar spaghettied the injection system in with a "trip computer" and a bunch of other crap.

Well I could put a set of strombergs on the queen to replace the EFI,  however it's 40 Horsepower loss and mileage goes down from maybe 10MPG to around 6-8  (that's at driving speed.. racing speed 2-3?)
  Carbs are fine.. I'm glad I know what I do about a system that is as obsolete as a set of contact points..