26 (edited by YesIFit 2010-10-07 05:18 AM)

Re: Driver's Stints

Trevor57 wrote:

The first 90 minutes are not the most hectic, because everybody is so worried about tearing the car up.  You should worry about the last 90 minutes.

After doing a fair amount of races, I've found that the most hectic/dangerous time seems to be about the 1 hour mark on Saturday. By that time, most of the cars that were barely running or were destined for failure have already broken, so the track has cleared out a bit and the pace has increased. Then, you have lots of newbs who have been out there for 30-45 minutes of "brisk" lapping and are starting to pick up their speed and push it a bit. You've also got lots of newbie teams who are doing 30-45 minute stints, so they have just finished their first driver change and are sending out someone who is new to the track, after the track has already picked up some speed. Add in the experienced drivers in some of the faster cars who are only halfway (or one-third of the way) through a stint and are trying to navigate through all of that, and it makes for some interesting racing.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Yep, that's about right.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

OMGuar wrote:
Jer wrote:

Once you have a car fairly reliable, 2 hour stints work well.  Bt if you're a 5 driver team, and you're the 5th driver (been there) it's a longggggggg day to get to you.  You almost resign yourself to the idea that you're not going to get a turn...and then you do.  smile   With an untested car I would go no longer than an hour until everyone has had a turn.

We've got one car that will go 3++hours on fuel.  I would like to try for a win with that car someday...

Hmmm 8 hours before you even get ready!  that would put your first stint at night? right?  UGH! Imagine learning a track in the dark!

Basically that is what happened at both VIR and Summit.  I got the last stint, but luckily both times I raced in dusk conditions so it wasn't too bad.  The upside to going last is you often get to take the checkers at the end of the race, which I've had the priviledge of doing in 2010 at VIR, Summit, CMP (IOE win) and Sebring (overall win).   Plus when you go last, you feel no guilt if the car breaks like you would if you drove first and got the only stint.  smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

For me the most hectic is like what YESIFIT posted.  It's always the first day, after the dogs have left the race, and while drivers are still in their first stints of their life or their first stint at the track or maybe just of the weekend.  You still are unsure who you can race with and who to avoid.  It's a nervous time.  Later, and on the 2nd day, the track is relatively clear, you know how to deal with various cars, and although the speeds have increased, it's still less stressful.  Until the last hour anyway.  smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Saturday morning can get a little crazy too when the teams that broke early saturday go out and try to set fastest lap during their 30 minute stint.   It depends on the track too, the space added by having less cars can go a long way to letting you stay out of trouble.

OMGuar wrote:

I've got a question.. IF you are black flagged can you switch drivers?  Seems like a good time to do it.  New driver could go over to the penalty area and wait untill the penalty is served..

That's what we do. If you get a black flag, you are out of the car. That has meant that someone only got a few laps and that counted as their stint (then wait for the rotation).

Don't count on switching drivers and getting right back out there. The judges many times like to punish the team as a team. Everyone participates while the car sits in the penalty box until the humiliation is complete.

At Sears Point, one of our drivers went out for his first stint on Friday and did a total of 0.5 laps before he spun it and got black flagged (names withheld to protect the not-so-innocent). He was back in and out of the car before the next driver was even suited up, but then he got in a long second stint later in the day. Even with 5 drivers, there always seems to be plenty of driving time in any race if you can just keep your car from breaking down.

Not driving 10/10ths all the time goes a long way toward that goal. Just remember -- and try to pound this into your drivers' heads -- this is an endurance race, not a sprint. You cannot win the race on any one lap or any one corner (except maybe during the last hour of the race, and only then if you're really a contender), but you sure can lose it. Good luck & have fun at your first race!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

OMGuar wrote:

IF you are black flagged can you switch drivers?  Seems like a good time to do it.  New driver could go over to the penalty area and wait untill the penalty is served..

Yes, once the judges are done w/ black flag humiliation, the car is free to go.  Might as well roll over to your paddock and fuel up & change driver, since the car is already off-track.

Sometimes (usually) part of the BF penalty will be a driver change, but it's a good idea anyway, IMHO.  at the GM race I did something stoopid, went 2 off and got a quick talking to.  Johnny asked me if I understood what I did wrong and was ready to go back on track.  I said I understood, but thought because I had been driving in anger, a new driver would be a good idea.  So we did a driver change & 5 gallons and went back out.  Next driver got into it w/ the same car, including sheetmetal damage, but no BF!  so much for putting in a chilled out driver...

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

34 (edited by sbarton 2010-10-12 10:42 AM)

sergio wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

go short on first shift (30-45 minutes) so everyone gets a turn before the car explodes.

We'll probably go 1 hour day 1, 90 minutes day 2

+1

For the first event, this is probably the best way to do it. And if you get any black flags you'll be spending some quality time in the penalty box.........

Excellent advice on times. 

-Scott

Scott Barton

35 (edited by davisriley 2010-10-12 11:17 AM)

OMGuar wrote:
Jer wrote:

Once you have a car fairly reliable, 2 hour stints work well.  Bt if you're a 5 driver team, and you're the 5th driver (been there) it's a longggggggg day to get to you.  You almost resign yourself to the idea that you're not going to get a turn...and then you do.  smile   With an untested car I would go no longer than an hour until everyone has had a turn.

We've got one car that will go 3++hours on fuel.  I would like to try for a win with that car someday...

Hmmm 8 hours before you even get ready!  that would put your first stint at night? right?  UGH! Imagine learning a track in the dark!

That's what we had to do at nelson's.  Super fun for the ones that had never been on track ever.  O, and it was wet.  But we all survived, and have willingly gone back again and again.  First few events we did about 30-45 minutes, as the car seemed to always overheat.  Now we are trying to go a tank of fuel, which is about 2 hours or so.  Almost worked at gingerman.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!