Re: Excessive contact at Autobahn???

It's a good thing you kept the huge bumpers on your Z.  Even though you can lose 100lbs by ditching them, the fuel tank is just way too vulnerable on a hit like you took. 

Sorry to see the Z and CRX take hits like that.  Is the Z done, or can it be raced again?

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Yes, there was a lot more contact at Autobahn than has been typical in (post-Altamont) Lemons events. I think the wet weather was a bigger factor than aggressive driving, although I did notice that things got a lot calmer after we took the half-dozen most troublesome teams off the track via third-strike three-hour timeouts.

As for the Condition Orange MR2 that took out the CRX, I talked to the team after the incident and they took full responsibility for their driver's screwup (and they offered to buy all the parts and do a fabrication all-nighter to get the CRX back on the track Sunday; though I had my doubts about whether such repairs would pass our tech inspection, their willingness to try to make things right was the kind of thing we like to see).

They weren't violating the No Nerf Bars rule, because all the structure was within the original body lines of the car. However, we're starting to take an increasingly disapproving view of cut-down and/or "naked" cars in LeMons- those factory engineers that designed all those energy-absorbing crumple zones sort of knew what they were doing.

The Z had a very strong cage around the fuel cell.  If we had kept the stock tank it would have ruptured for sure.  The fuel cell cage actually kept the car from getting crushed any further.  Thankfully another team brought over a slide hammer while we were waiting in tech to help us get the bodywork out of the wheel wells.

After a lot of pounding with a sledge hammer we were able get enough space in the rear wheel wells and the drivers door to open/close.  The car did run the rest of the weekend but had some issues with the lines/wires that are now inaccessible and pinched within the bodywork.

Even the roll cage was punched through the roof in the wreck.  We will have to get it on a frame machine and see if we can pull it back into order enough to enter it at another race.

Infinity Q45 #47 @ Gator-a-Rama 09 & #147 @ Nelson Ledges 09
Datsun 510 #102 @ High Plains Raceway 10 & #102 @ Mid-America Motorplex 10
Datsun 280Z #55 @ Autobahn 10

Judge Phil wrote:

However, we're starting to take an increasingly disapproving view of cut-down and/or "naked" cars in LeMons- those factory engineers that designed all those energy-absorbing crumple zones sort of knew what they were doing.

i applaud this decision Judge Phil.  i wholeheartedly agree cars should be left intact as they were built.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

30 (edited by jungle 2010-10-25 12:47 PM)

For as many cars were on course I was suprised at the lack of inncodents.  I was REALLY nervious about going to an event w/ soo many cars on a small track.

Our car got bumped twice...no big deal, once trying to get pass the same car for 3 laps that would consistantly block and turn into us, eventually we traded paint (my front his rear), we both kept on going.  Another was going 3 wide into T9 and the Ferio bumped us off the track putting wheel marks on the doors and having us go 2-wheels off...all three cars continued.

I thought the flagging was lacking.  I think I could tell these were not seasoned corner workers.  They wouldn't wave back on "parade" laps, sometimes flag, sometimes not, sometimes hold the flag limp wristed, ect, ect..  I know it is a hard, busy, stressfull, & often thankless job.  I flag corners for Ice Racing, so these aren't bias statements.

I wish we could have better communication between the corners to Lemons staff to drivers.  If I mess up, I will admit it, but please don't penalize me for doing wrong and not be able to tell me what I did wrong, when I myself am clueless as to the acutal offense.  Again I have been on both sides of the fence, an organizer/worker and a driver.

We had a frustrating and yet very fun filled time....thanks to all!

....aaron youngblood
junglemotorsports.blogspot.com  <--motorsports blog
team-short-bus.blogspot.com   <--Our Lemons team blog

Judge Phil wrote:

Yes, there was a lot more contact at Autobahn than has been typical in (post-Altamont) Lemons events. I think the wet weather was a bigger factor than aggressive driving, although I did notice that things got a lot calmer after we took the half-dozen most troublesome teams off the track via third-strike three-hour timeouts.

As for the Condition Orange MR2 that took out the CRX, I talked to the team after the incident and they took full responsibility for their driver's screwup (and they offered to buy all the parts and do a fabrication all-nighter to get the CRX back on the track Sunday; though I had my doubts about whether such repairs would pass our tech inspection, their willingness to try to make things right was the kind of thing we like to see).

They weren't violating the No Nerf Bars rule, because all the structure was within the original body lines of the car. However, we're starting to take an increasingly disapproving view of cut-down and/or "naked" cars in LeMons- those factory engineers that designed all those energy-absorbing crumple zones sort of knew what they were doing.

Damn, I just lopped a part of the roof of the Audi, aft of the b-pillar.  Good thing I left all of the other crumply stuff there. I will stop cutting as of this writing.

Winner Porsche Cup CMP Spring 09 (944), Winner class 2 CMP Spring 10 (Audi 100), Organizers Choice CMP Spring 10 (Merc S500), Grassroots Motorsports Most From the Least CMP spring 10 (audi 100), Overall Winner Capitol Offense 2010 (Merc S500), Winner on laps Capitol Offense 2011 (Merc S500), Organizers Choice Capitol Offense 12 (Mercillac).

I also hope we are not one of the asshole teams. And if we were we did not mean to.
It was the first road race of any kind for us. We are off road guys.
We got hit just once, and the other driver came over  right away and said how sorry he was.
Being new, we just tried to stay out of everyones way, and not get runned over.
We had a blast, and will be back. And hopefully better.
We had the Crown Royal car.
Dave

My teammate was driving the orange MR2 when he hit the CRX and, apparently, pushed the CRX into the Datsun. As we said over and over and over again to the CRX team, Jay, Phil, and anyone who would listen afterward, it was an accident but it shouldn't have happened, and we are all very sorry that our team was the cause of problems for other teams. We've gotten wrecked out of races too (MSR-H, Feb. '09) and it sucks, there's no two ways about it.

To put an end to any speculation, here's what happened. A component inside the car had gotten fixed too-quickly and the tail to the zip-tie didn't get cut off. Our driver kept grabbing the tail when he went to shift and was worried that he was pulling a wire loose. He looked down to figure out what was going on with the shifter apparently just as all that traffic checked up. As is evident on that video, traffic was snaking along and then everyone checked up quite suddenly. Our driver looking down at that exact moment was unfortunate bad timing, but it wasn't irresponsible or neglectful. It was an accident. For what it's worth (and I know that's not much), our driver volunteered his wrist band to Jay.

Tullamore, I apologize to you for your injury and to you and your squad for the damage to your car. Until seeing this post, I hadn't heard that there was substantial damage to any car but the CRX. If you'd like to discuss it directly with me, please feel free to email me and I'll be glad to share my phone number with you. The same goes for anyone else present on this forum. In the future, I invite anyone to please feel free to visit with me in person at the track. I'm not usually very hard to find and I'll be glad to visit with you about this or pretty much anything else in LeMondom. As I think is pretty clear by now, I love this series and it makes me sick to think that my team would do anything (even inadverdent) to hurt the series or the other teams in it.

We've already apologized profusely to the CRX team, and I'll reiterate that here. Again, my apologies to all affected in this incident. It was an accident, but it was our fault, and I'll personally make sure that it doesn't happen again on any car with which I'm involved.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Judge Phil wrote:

If the crumple zones were better than tubular steel, we wouldn't need roll cages.  It sure looked to me like that mr2 fared much better than the crx, with it's stock crumple zones.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Our team did get a black flag for contact with another car but the driver says it didn't happen and we had no marks on our car, we took our penalty and spent our time in the penalty box.

The fact that your team was worst infractor of car contact and did not get penalized or even inconvenienced with damage to your car is what has us steaming more than your team not even coming to talk to us.

After the CRX smashed us I pulled into the penalty box with the rear of the car rubbing on the tires and had Jay about jump down my throat because when I explained what happened he thought that I had cause the accident by going to too slow.

The communication at this event did not seem to be working like it had in the past.

Trevor57 wrote:

If the crumple zones were better than tubular steel, we wouldn't need roll cages.  It sure looked to me like that mr2 fared much better than the crx, with it's stock crumple zones.

The point is to protect the driver with the crumple zones taking the impact, not to protect the car from damage.  Even tube frame race cars have small diameter tubes that the bodywork connects to that will absorb some of the impact before contact with the main structure.

Parkanzky wrote:
JD1969 wrote:

We had had one of our drivers hit another car car due to a failed caliper (still our fault for not catching it) and for that we are all really sorry, but other wise I didn't witness any contact on track (other than the CRX getting totaled). This was also our first race and overall we are very happy with it.

Did you hit the #88 Silver/Black Scirocco going into turn 1?  I assumed that whomever hit me had a mechanical failure, because there was just a split second of tire squeel and then the impact.

FWIW, I wasn't furious.  I was probably a bit excitable because the adrenaline was still pumping and at that point we were 2nd in our class and only a lap down.

-Paul

No, we hit the blue Honda Accord that had a dinosaur theme (I think) I can recall the number. You guys were pitted across from us, your car kept bringing me college flashbacks as I drove a 88' 16V Scirocco then.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

Mulry wrote:

To put an end to any speculation, here's what happened. A component inside the car had gotten fixed too-quickly and the tail to the zip-tie didn't get cut off. Our driver kept grabbing the tail when he went to shift and was worried that he was pulling a wire loose. He looked down to figure out what was going on with the shifter apparently just as all that traffic checked up. As is evident on that video, traffic was snaking along and then everyone checked up quite suddenly. Our driver looking down at that exact moment was unfortunate bad timing, but it wasn't irresponsible or neglectful. It was an accident. For what it's worth (and I know that's not much), our driver volunteered his wrist band to Jay.

A good lesson here for everyone on these forums.  Just because the yellow is out doesn't mean you get to quit paying attention.  On a lot of tracks, I've been going 50 to 60 mph under yellow in places.  It feels slow, but it isn't.

This might be a lesson Jay should incorporate into his safety briefing.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

Tullamore wrote:

The fact that your team was worst infractor of car contact and did not get penalized or even inconvenienced with damage to your car is what has us steaming more than your team not even coming to talk to us.

Well, that's not exactly correct. I spun the car twice in the downpour at the start of the race (freaking MR2's) while going like 25 miles an hour, so we had 2 non-contact black flags in the first hour and served a Denver Boot penalty with me sitting in the car, and then we had to serve about an hour penalty on the second one trying to fix the right rear window on the LeBaron Exec Limo. The incident with the CRX was our third black flag of the day, so our penalty was to park the car for the last 3-4 hours of the race on Saturday.

We did suffer some damage to our car (like the right wheelbase was shortened about 1.25") so we had some work to do to repair the left front suspension so that we could drive again on Sunday. Not that it's any comparison with the damage to the CRX or even your car. And as I said above, I didn't know until this forum post that your car was damaged in that incident. I'm sorry that I didn't come over to talk to you then. Had I known that you'd been damaged while I was at the track, I would have personally been in your paddock apologizing to you there and offering whatever assistance we could provide to get you back on the track, as I did with the CRX team. Again, my apologies for the incident.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

DaveH wrote:

A good lesson here for everyone on these forums.  Just because the yellow is out doesn't mean you get to quit paying attention.  On a lot of tracks, I've been going 50 to 60 mph under yellow in places.  It feels slow, but it isn't.

That's a really good point. I keep thinking of how this is like when you see a rear-ender in stopped traffic on the freeway. Somebody looks down at a cell phone or a crying kid in the back seat while crawling along and then slams into the back of the checked-up car in front of them. Pretty similar situation, and one that many of us experience nearly every day in commuter traffic. Easy to fall into that habit on the track too in a similar situation.

Judge Phil wrote:

This is one of the drivers of car 166 (orange pumpkin ramtegra with dog hanging out window). We were one of the "troublesome teams". We received penalties for aggressive driving and 2 for contact. 

First off I would like to apologize if we caused anyone problems with our aggressive driving. Below is a listing of our  penalties.

Saturday:

1) I spun out in the rain (did not hit any cars but out drove my talent spun and had all 4 tires off the track) I definitely deserved the black flag and the penalty.

2) Our 2nd driver was black flagged for passing under yellow (which he 100% did not do) We got the tire on the roof.

3) Our 3rd driver did pass under yellow (a car waived him by). This ended our Saturday.

Sunday:

1) Our 2nd driver passed on the outside of turn 2 and the driver on the inside apparently turned out and "purposely hit our car"? Our driver was lectured for aggressive driving and had his wristband cut, and the car was pitted for 30 min.

2) Jay told me I could go out after 30 minutes. I fueled car set tire pressures...checked oil ect. My dad told me I was good to go, and I went back on the track. This was only after  16 minutes(I thought my dad had checked the time...I don't know what his deal was...thus we did not follow jays 30 minute penalty and rightfully got penalized 2 more hours.

3) On the start of my second lap, I went under a car on turn 2. I was all the way inside with a tire almost off the track and my front tires were even with the car i was passing. He continued his normal racing line to the apex and we rubbed. I don't think he saw me ...and this was " a racing incident imo........ and we were done for the day by 1:05pm sad  I could have avoided this if I was less aggressive.....but this should have been a normal pass

This was my 2nd Lemons race and for the second time I thought almost all the teams were awesome!

We deserved the majority of our penalties...I have 2 questions for Phil or an experienced lemonizer would like to answer are. Is it common for teams to get penalties for passing under yellow when they definitely did not? Are wristbands normally cut on a first black flag penalty for contact even when the contact is not the driver fault?

longest post ever.........

66ramtegra wrote:

I was all the way inside with a tire almost off the track and my front tires were even with the car i was passing. He continued his normal racing line to the apex and we rubbed. I don't think he saw me ...and this was " a racing incident imo........ and we were done for the day by 1:05pm sad  I could have avoided this if I was less aggressive.....but this should have been a normal pass

I don't consider that a 'normal pass'.

If you define a normal pass as simply having your car even with another at turn in...  then you can simply dive bomb cars into the corner,  get even, apex way early and expect them to back off.  You can sorta get away with that if you know you can out brake a car... but you really need to have a lot more of your car ahead of them at the corner and know that you  can pull off the line you take.

People talk here like black flags and contact are the norm.  Four of our six drivers have never had a black flag in six Lemons races with multiple top ten finishes and lap times usually only a couple seconds off the top speed.  You can run clean at Lemons but it takes patience in passing and humility when a faster car is behind you.

I don't mean to jump down your throat... but you may just want to rethink things a bit.  Its a lot more fun to be out on the track.

66ramtegra wrote:

I have 2 questions for Phil or an experienced lemonizer would like to answer are. Is it common for teams to get penalties for passing under yellow when they definitely did not? Are wristbands normally cut on a first black flag penalty for contact even when the contact is not the driver fault?

Since this is my first race so I'm not an experience lemonizer but for the yellow flag, since Jay talked about having a discussion about the rules with the flaggers I believe that there were some problems the first day with some of the flaggers not understanding the Lemons rules for how yellow flags work.  You might have just been unlucky there.

As for getting the wrist band cut for contact, Lemons HQ didn't see it so it is all according to what the flaggers call in.  Also how long was your driver arguing and what exactly was he saying.  Driver attitude was probably a contributing factor.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Crown Royal dudes, you guys were pretty cool. You stayed out of trouble in the wet and didn't seem to be trying to hoon or do anything other than get around the track safely. I was lapping you regularly in the rain, and was totally impressed that you were not being buttheads.

Just want to call out some dudes who were doing it right!

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

For me this race seemed to have a few more aggressive teams.  I raced the 2 gingerman races and those were raced clean. 

I personally had one incident that involved contact, i spun trying to make a pass in the last turn in the rain an hit bumpers with the brown volvo sedan, got flagged took full responsibilty for it and had to do the pink undies walk thru the pits behind the honorable judge. 

Another member of my team got side swiped by a crown vic and took off one of our side mirrors.

We did have a slower car out there and if we got in anybodys way i do appologize as we tried our best to stay out of the faster cars way.

Wisconsin Crap Racers #113 E36
I.O.E. Winners 2023 Gingerman
2016 and 2017 Cure for Gingivitis Champs!
30+ time Losers!

I had the last stint on Saturday, had the displeasure of seeing every car on the track pass me at what always seemed like twice my speed.  The Poorsche was very low on power which gave me a plenty of time to take in the driving styles of all the cars.  I was constantly watching my mirrors to make sure that I stayed as out of the way as possible, while at the same time trying to keep my line, if I missed my line and had to brake anymore than absolutely necessary my revs dropped below 3000 the car lost all power.  Sorry for the rolling chicane everyone but we just wanted to make it to the end of the day.  I would put it to the floor in turn 2 and it would take until turn 6 until the car sped up enough to use the brakes.  I then spent rest of the track accelerating until #2 again.  Those straights were embarrassingly slow.

I did get contact a few times from a few cars that weren’t quite past me before pulling in front and braking for the corner, I will share the blame as I was really trying to hold my line.  It made sense, the Poorsche was so slow on the straights that I am sure everyone was confused when we didn’t have to slow down for the corners and actually would pass them for a brief second before we were out accelerated out of the corner.  I did notice that there were a few cars that were definitely more aggressive than they needed to be, but it is racing.  Being overly aggressive does not make sense to me in such a long race, but then again we have never broken the top 20 so we don't really know what it's like to actually be competing.  In the end, it wasn't an overly aggressive driver that took me out that day, it was the car fire, but thats another story.

Gator-O-Rama 2009 - Infiniti Q45a - "No Prayer In Finishing Winner" 22/95
Nelson Ledges 2009 - Infiniti Q45a - Shanty Town - 111/122
MAM 2010 - Poorsche 914 - Lowbrau Racing -26/28
Rod B 500 - Poorsche 914 - Lowbrau Racing - 45/87

47 (edited by Troy 2010-10-25 08:12 PM)

I am sorry to see such an accident and that a Z was involved.  Although it sucked a lot more for the CRX.

I know Pat too but that doesn't make it any better.

I am surprised by the bumper on the MR2.  While within the body lines it is kind of a battering ram.

We have a tube bumper too so I guess I can only say so much.  We have this bumper because our car is a 1973 and it didn't have 5 MPH bumpers like the 280Z the got hit by the CRX.

http://angiem357.smugmug.com/Cars/Racing/Red-Meat-and-Race-Fuel-MSR/P8120429sm/970626308_SMYqH-M-3.jpg

Unlike the MR2s double tube bumper, ours is a single bar in place of the original bumper.  I wish we had an extra upper bar since our car is so low but that was getting into nerf bar territory.

I am sure the bumper helps but we have two Zs with similar bumpers and both have some front end damage.

Our rear bumper is much the same type arrangement.

http://angiem357.smugmug.com/Cars/Racing/Red-Meat-and-Race-Fuel-MSR/P8110075/971146209_pdL76-M-2.jpg

Unlike the CRX & the 280Z, our roll cage goes all the way back to the top of the hatch opening and then down to plates on the floor that are welded over the frame rails which is where the rear bumper ties in.

We have a large tube welded across the back right along the hatch opening in case we get hit by a larger and taller car so it doesn't come over the back, rupture the fuel cell and cause more trouble.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/19241047/sn/1656051250/name/000_0008.jpg

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/19241047/sn/168520339/name/000_0006.jpg

Unfortunately, as others have stated, we have almost no rear crumple zone.  Our front bumper still uses stock bumper brackets and the front of our car can fold in a hard impact.

This whole incident is unfortunate.  I know Mulry is a very good participant and I am sure they are all very sorry for the incident as well.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

It's pretty rare for us to pull wristbands, but it does happen. We've had a couple races with double-digit wristband-revoking counts (e.g. Sears Pointless) but most have just a few.

The most common situations that trigger de-wristbanding:
1. Drinking alcohol while the track is hot (applies to driver wristbands only).
2. Wearing sneakers, bare hands, etc. while racing.
3. Total unwillingness to accept responsibility for one's behavior at the race track, to the extent that we become convinced you don't give a shit if the other racers live or die.
4. Team gets put on the trailer for black flag #4.

http://www.murileemartin.com/JJ/JudgeJonny-013.jpg
http://www.murileemartin.com/JJ/JudgeJonny-068.jpg

BoB wrote:
66ramtegra wrote:

I have 2 questions for Phil or an experienced lemonizer would like to answer are. Is it common for teams to get penalties for passing under yellow when they definitely did not? Are wristbands normally cut on a first black flag penalty for contact even when the contact is not the driver fault?

Since this is my first race so I'm not an experience lemonizer but for the yellow flag, since Jay talked about having a discussion about the rules with the flaggers I believe that there were some problems the first day with some of the flaggers not understanding the Lemons rules for how yellow flags work.  You might have just been unlucky there.

As for getting the wrist band cut for contact, Lemons HQ didn't see it so it is all according to what the flaggers call in.  Also how long was your driver arguing and what exactly was he saying.  Driver attitude was probably a contributing factor.

The black flags were BULLSHIT on Saturday.  The corner workers were incorrectly calling in people for passing under yellow all day long.  That was only fixed on Sunday morning.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

This was my first Lemons and I had a blast. 

The way I see it, Lemons is first and foremost a way for all of us to have fun.  For the team I was lucky enough to join, the #88 Scirocket, our #1 goal was to finish the race, which we did.

Everyone needs to remember that there are drivers of widely varying skills on the track.  I have had a decent amount of track time, but it had been a while.  When I went out for the first time wheel to wheel with all these crappy cars, it was scary for a little while!  I was hit twice by the red Lincoln Mark VII. Neither hits were that hard, and the first one *could* have been my fault for following a dumb line.  I don't know.  It just seemed like some people were taking it all a little too seriously.

In any case, I had a blast and having competition made it even more fun.  I am looking forward to another run someday!