Re: Excessive contact at Autobahn???

I think I'm glad we didn't take "Legs" to Autobahn.  Grattan was just so good, such clean racing, I was amazed.

I agree with Judge Phil's comments about the stock crumple zones.  The idea, if you haven't figured it out yet, is to allow the car to crumple and dissapate energy in a large impact.  That reduces the energy your body needs to dissipate.  The roll cage is exactly that - a roll cage.  It's original intent was to reinforce the roof structure, which was never designed to absorb an impact.  That is changing now with new cars somewhat, in that they are now designing cars to better withstand a roll over.  Racing production cars has also shown side impact protection isn't great on old cars - another thing that has been greatly improved in current production cars.  Hence why roll cages are now required to have substantial door bars to protect the driver.  Cars have for quite some time been designed to absorb the common front and rear impact (though they do so much better these days thanks to accurate modelling simulations allowing manufacturers to model the impact "pulse," which allows them to design frame rails that crush and keep occupant decelleration rates at low to no injury levels. 

Steve

rallyfreak wrote:

I think I'm glad we didn't take "Legs" to Autobahn.  Grattan was just so good, such clean racing, I was amazed.

I agree with Judge Phil's comments about the stock crumple zones.  The idea, if you haven't figured it out yet, is to allow the car to crumple and dissapate energy in a large impact.  That reduces the energy your body needs to dissipate.  The roll cage is exactly that - a roll cage.  It's original intent was to reinforce the roof structure, which was never designed to absorb an impact.  That is changing now with new cars somewhat, in that they are now designing cars to better withstand a roll over.  Racing production cars has also shown side impact protection isn't great on old cars - another thing that has been greatly improved in current production cars.  Hence why roll cages are now required to have substantial door bars to protect the driver.  Cars have for quite some time been designed to absorb the common front and rear impact (though they do so much better these days thanks to accurate modelling simulations allowing manufacturers to model the impact "pulse," which allows them to design frame rails that crush and keep occupant decelleration rates at low to no injury levels. 

Steve

I believe this is also why in most sanctioning bodies you can't have any cage members extend beyond  the suspension pickup points ie shock towers-- outside of those is considered crumple zones.

Had that CRX had nerf bars or bull bars at the rear bracing the rear bumper, the occupant would have more likely been hauled away on a back board.

I will say I'd rather see those wide tube bumpers than simple frame rail ends -- While building the Apollo 18 car, I've had visions of frame rails trying to puncture into the driver compartment so I've put extra "door bars" on to help prevent that from happening.

I would love to see black flags for slamming on your brakes during yellow.  That has got to be the cause of the most contact in Lemons races.  I wish during the morning drivers meetings 50% of the time was spent drilling it in to people's heads that a yellow means caution, not impending doom!

Also, some flaggers are better about this then others, but the slide by and wave by (aka driver slows drastically under yellow, the car behind passes to avoid jamming on brakes, then gives the spot back) needs to be freely allowed.   People are so afraid of the dreaded passing under yellow penalty that they put others in far more danger trying to avoid it then just slowing gracefully and falling back in line.

I've done 4 events so far, and this is by far the point that gets me the most pissed off.  People's days are ruined, or worse someone get get seriously injured, and I truly believe the only reason it happens is the avoidance of the very penalties that are designed to keep us safe.

Lowbrau Dan wrote:

I had the last stint on Saturday, had the displeasure of seeing every car on the track pass me at what always seemed like twice my speed.  The Poorsche was very low on power which gave me a plenty of time to take in the driving styles of all the cars.  I was constantly watching my mirrors to make sure that I stayed as out of the way as possible, while at the same time trying to keep my line, if I missed my line and had to brake anymore than absolutely necessary my revs dropped below 3000 the car lost all power.  Sorry for the rolling chicane everyone but we just wanted to make it to the end of the day.  I would put it to the floor in turn 2 and it would take until turn 6 until the car sped up enough to use the brakes.  I then spent rest of the track accelerating until #2 again.  Those straights were embarrassingly slow.

I did get contact a few times from a few cars that weren’t quite past me before pulling in front and braking for the corner, I will share the blame as I was really trying to hold my line.  It made sense, the Poorsche was so slow on the straights that I am sure everyone was confused when we didn’t have to slow down for the corners and actually would pass them for a brief second before we were out accelerated out of the corner.  I did notice that there were a few cars that were definitely more aggressive than they needed to be, but it is racing.  Being overly aggressive does not make sense to me in such a long race, but then again we have never broken the top 20 so we don't really know what it's like to actually be competing.  In the end, it wasn't an overly aggressive driver that took me out that day, it was the car fire, but thats another story.

At least when I was out on track, I thought you guys did a good job of holding your line and staying out of trouble. No complaints here.

I was in the #710 red Firebird (with no rear glass). Sunday morning was brutal for us. The car is practically undriveable in the wet, so we very purposefully drove slow and pointed people by. Even then, it was tough to stay in control, but we had no spins, no contact, and no flags on Saturday. Once the track dried we could pick up the pace quite a bit relative to many other cars. It was obvious we were the slowest f-body there in a straight line, but thankfully we had great brakes and pretty good balance. Sunday we were flagged twice. First time was going two wheels off to avoid a car swiping in front of us. We apoogized to the judges and were free to go. Second was contact, not our fault, and were waived through the pits.

When at Gingerman, beginning of my shift (hour 2) I got out and was immediately cut off/pushed out of the way by 2 vehicles.  I later saw that both these vehicles were paddocked together, so I shouldn't have been suprised.  What pissed me off was that they both divebombed me into the corner, and couldn't hold their line, so I was forced to run way wide and also hit my brakes to avoid contact.  This of course gives others a place to pass coming out of what is now a slow corner, which compounds the frustration factor.

The point of my mini rant is that if you're passing (dive bombing) someone on the inside, you should make sure you can hold that line through the turn.  Likewise, if you're on an outside line for a pass, you'd better be ready for the other vehicle to take their "normal line".

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

bingo wrote:
66ramtegra wrote:

I was all the way inside with a tire almost off the track and my front tires were even with the car i was passing. He continued his normal racing line to the apex and we rubbed. I don't think he saw me ...and this was " a racing incident imo........ and we were done for the day by 1:05pm sad  I could have avoided this if I was less aggressive.....but this should have been a normal pass

I don't consider that a 'normal pass'.

If you define a normal pass as simply having your car even with another at turn in...  then you can simply dive bomb cars into the corner,  get even, apex way early and expect them to back off.  You can sorta get away with that if you know you can out brake a car... but you really need to have a lot more of your car ahead of them at the corner and know that you  can pull off the line you take.

People talk here like black flags and contact are the norm.  Four of our six drivers have never had a black flag in six Lemons races with multiple top ten finishes and lap times usually only a couple seconds off the top speed.  You can run clean at Lemons but it takes patience in passing and humility when a faster car is behind you.

I don't mean to jump down your throat... but you may just want to rethink things a bit.  Its a lot more fun to be out on the track.

Since bingo is my team mate, I tend to disagree with him 99% of the time.  But, he is spot on here.  I also have never been black flagged in the 6 races, more than 17 hours on track.  As mentioned, two of those races a top ten finish (6th place).  One of our team mates did get a black flag, and he said it wasn't his fault...he was hit.  We told him it WAS his fault because in Lemons, you need to prevent being in those situations.  We also told him before going out "DON'T GET A BLACK FLAG".  I've learned in these races, it's never your line, and the other guy is probably going to nail you...putting you both in the penalty box.  So, let him by quickly...get right back on pace, and then let him go nail someone else.

Fukushima Sushi Delivery
POS 325e

57 (edited by Jer 2010-10-26 07:53 AM)

Wasn't at the race, can't comment on the offenses specifically, but in my experience if you are going for a pass in a corner, you better not track out into me.  Pulling alongside does not mean I have to forfeit the line.  If you can't make the pass cleanly, it's your responsibility to give me room to operate too.  Sounds simple because it IS simple. 

Example: A nascar driver comes off turn 4 inside a car he is overtaking.  He cannot track out to the wall because he has not cleared the car he is overtaking.  Once clear, the line is his.  Before that, it is not. 

We need to respect each other the same way in our racing.  Getting alongside another driver does not give you the rights to walk all over his line.  Be courteous.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Cars hitting each other under caution is actually pretty rare at Lemons races. We do tell drivers to avoid dynamiting the brakes when they see yellow, but it has little effect. Still, relatively few wrecks under yellow.

Mostly, Lemons cars hit each other because dudes are playing chicken going into the turns, usually with a clueless dude who isn't paying attention added to the mix. From what I hear in the Penalty Box, nobody really hits anyone else out there; Lemons drivers always get hit.

Judge Phil wrote:

nobody really hits anyone else out there; Lemons drivers always get hit.

I'll admit it - I hit people.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Judge Phil wrote:

From what I hear in the Penalty Box, nobody really hits anyone else out there; Lemons drivers always get hit.

It's TRUE!!!!! tongue

I almost got wiped out by the 100 Saturn in 6 during the wet - he decided to divebomb the corner, couldn't hold it, and drifted across the track into me. Well, almost. I saw him coming and pulled wide. That was scary for me. I was really happy that I could hold it together and get over, but when I hit the gatorback, I thought I was going to shake myself to death!

The flagger did flag the dude, but I never heard from him. It would have been cool if he had apologized. It was about as close as I've gotten for suit-soiling.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Anybody remember what car got pit maneuvered in the straight before the pits (ha, irony). I thought it was one of the wagons, but it could have been something else. There was a ton of traffic into turn 6(most of which passed me), then on the straight the cars were primarily on the left side for some reason. I saw one car become diagonal then sideways in front of me and when it got some grip it jutted right and into the barrier. I was able to avoid it but for a few moments I thought I might T-bone them. i don't recall a yellow after that though??

Rally Rolla: 2010 American Irony 2010 25th, 2010 Blagojevich 500 11th
Nohow Racing Audi: 2010 Bull Oil GP 22nd?

This race had some bad flagging the first day, and we've got video proof of at least one very clearly BAD 'passing under yellow' black flag.  After Jay had a powwow with the corner workers Sunday morning, it seemed to me that the flagging had been fixed.  If was almost as if at least some of them had never worked a race before, perhaps they had only done DE days?

I was about 3 or 4 cars behind the CRX, and although I didn't see the wreck, I know we'd been under caution for several laps while they pulled two broken cars off the track that were around turn 3.  After the cars were cleared, they did another 1.5 laps under caution...for no apparent reason, then the wreck happened.  And I wish I knew who had caused the backup, because you can tell in the video there was nearly a 4 or 5 car pileup even before the MR2 hit the CRX.

The wreck happened, and it sucked for all involved, yes, the MR2 driver made a huge mistake, one I bet he will not repeat, or EVER forget.  The CRX guys also seemed to have a REALLY good attitude about it considering they were instantly knocked out of the race for the first day.  Also the MR2 team (I heard) offered to fund and provide people for an all night wrench (and probably two big truck and CRX tug-a-war with straps/chains) session.

We've raced and finished in 7 races, and we've only had car contact once in all previous races.  In one two hour stint, we were ran off the track TWICE and had car contact once....  I'm guessing it was the large number of teams that had no wheel to wheel experience.  Other contributing factors were probably the weather on day one like Phil says, and also a short track.  You could also tell that some of the teams could go without rear view mirrors, because they weren't using them.

All in all I had a blast, and despite a car failure on saturday, we loved the track, met a lot of cool people and thought it was worth the 32 hour drive to and from the track.

-Martin
Team SHOtime
1986 Formula 1 Benetton racing livery
Old themes - M*A*S*H - Red Rocket Rat car

RRRR wrote:

This race had some bad flagging the first day, and we've got video proof of at least one very clearly BAD 'passing under yellow' black flag.  After Jay had a powwow with the corner workers Sunday morning, it seemed to me that the flagging had been fixed.  If was almost as if at least some of them had never worked a race before, perhaps they had only done DE days?

I was about 3 or 4 cars behind the CRX, and although I didn't see the wreck, I know we'd been under caution for several laps while they pulled two broken cars off the track that were around turn 3.  After the cars were cleared, they did another 1.5 laps under caution...for no apparent reason, then the wreck happened.  And I wish I knew who had caused the backup, because you can tell in the video there was nearly a 4 or 5 car pileup even before the MR2 hit the CRX.

The wreck happened, and it sucked for all involved, yes, the MR2 driver made a huge mistake, one I bet he will not repeat, or EVER forget.  The CRX guys also seemed to have a REALLY good attitude about it considering they were instantly knocked out of the race for the first day.  Also the MR2 team (I heard) offered to fund and provide people for an all night wrench (and probably two big truck and CRX tug-a-war with straps/chains) session.

We've raced and finished in 7 races, and we've only had car contact once in all previous races.  In one two hour stint, we were ran off the track TWICE and had car contact once....  I'm guessing it was the large number of teams that had no wheel to wheel experience.  Other contributing factors were probably the weather on day one like Phil says, and also a short track.  You could also tell that some of the teams could go without rear view mirrors, because they weren't using them.

All in all I had a blast, and despite a car failure on saturday, we loved the track, met a lot of cool people and thought it was worth the 32 hour drive to and from the track.

The real questoin here: did you dirve the car there or did it actually get to ride on a trailer?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

From personal experience in the 8 races I have done, the Lemons organizers have done an incredible job of reducing the amount of contact on the track. For those drivers that raced at Altamont and T-Hill in the early years they can attest that Lemons racing has gone a long way.
I was hit more in the last Altamont race than all of our other races combined, to include all of the drivers. This racing series has evolved a long way from its beginnings of MAD MAX nerf bars and reinforcement over the wheels, to where it is today. We too have been knocked off the track, made contact with other cars but I don't feel that it was clearly on purpose in most cases and I give the driver of the other car the benefit of the doubt that it was not intentional. (Although in the moment everyone gets a little mad.) The MR2 in question met all of the rules to qualify it to race in that event.

The Lemons organizers will look at this incident along with many others to determine the direction that will make for a pleasurable event the future. We can all be happy the driver is O.K. Team T.A.R.P. with the the car in question has apologized in every way they can. "Shit happens" we all wish we can take back those mistakes that got our car pulled off the track, and feel bad when we make mistakes that cause other teams problems.

Good luck to all those who race in the future and if I "hit you" I will come apologize and I will expect the same.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Baron wrote:
RRRR wrote:

and thought it was worth the 32 hour drive to and from the track.

The real questoin here: did you dirve the car there or did it actually get to ride on a trailer?

We finally decided to trailer it, and I'm glad we did.  16 hours driving the car up, then ~15 hours of racing, then 16 hours back home would have been a little too much, especially in a car with limited visibility, horrible headlights, no noise insulation, no radio, etc.

But if the race is within a 4 hour drive, we will continue to drive it on the street.

-Martin
Team SHOtime

I know the TARP bunch are good guys, especially Pat. Personally, I think if one team's negligence costs another team their race car, the team responsible should loan their own race car to the other team for the remainder of the weekend. I dunno if that was offered, but I do respect the willingness to pay for and fix the damage to the best of their abilities then and there. There really is no excuse for a full-course caution wreck that severe. I think that there should be a speed limit enforced during FCY, say, 30 MPH. Kinda hard to total out one or two other cars at that speed, even if you aren't paying attention to the road like you need to be.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Kinda hard to enforce a on track speedlimit when a good chunk of the cars probably dont have speedometers.  Plus people should be more vigilant during a yellow flag due to the fact that there could be debris and a accident up ahead.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

Ok, I feel a few things need to be cleared up....

I was the driver of the CRX that was hit.  We had been under caution for several laps.  There were a handful of slowdowns ect in this time. 

As u notice on the video, I keep my distance under caution...as there is no need to be up the guys ass in front of you.  This provided me with ample time to slow down when the sudden stop occured.  In the vid it looks as tho I was braking relatively hard, but I can assure you, this was not the case...essentially, the driver of the MR2 should have had more than enough time to see what was taking place, and slow to a stop as well...he obviously didn't...he cost us the rest of the race, a car, and nearly caused me to take out another car as well.

With that said, I hold no grudge against the TARP Team.  The TEAM did not pull a dumbass move and hit me, 1 negligent driver did.  Said driver mad a humble apology to me after I was checked out by the EMT's.  I wanted nothing more than to wring his neck, tell him how much of an idiot he is, and go about my day.  Instead, I accepted the apology, told him "shit happens" (even tho this should have NEVER happened) and moved on.

Pat came to our pit and was also very apologetic, and he did offer to "work on the car all night" if need be.  Though no financial assistance was ever offered or implied, so not sure there that got started...

Irregardless, whats done is done.  We are out a car, another teams car was severely damaged, and the driver who caused the incident was able to walk away with no harm done aside from some sore pride and alot of shame, and probly got to continue driving on Sunday.  Must be nice...anyhow..

These bumpers, bars, whatever on that car, are bullshit.  Weather in the original body lines or not, things like that are going to get someone killed.  I can understand a small amount of reinforcement, but this is just a bit extreme.  If we had been racing and I had spun causing him to punt me that hard in the drivers side door, I can assure you I would not be here to speak of this incident.

Being said, weather or not Lemons steps up and changes the rules on these bars, I feel it is our responsibility to help keep each other safe out there, just as much as keeping ones self safe.  These Bars/Bumpers need to go(on any car, not just this one).  If you were in the car to feel the impact, and you seen the damaged caused, you would most certainly understand.

One thing I think everyone is missing on this post is that there was an "ASS HAT" at the front of this accident that panicked and as Judge Phil put it did not "avoid dynamiting the brakes". If  we need to spread some blame lets look at the guy who decided that braking hard is perfectly safe while 4 laps under yellow. There would have been no accident at all if all drivers involved had kept their speed and distance. It's called a "chain reaction" we see it on the freeways all the time, this time we had one on the track and it caught up at least 6 cars in its wake and a unforeseen and sad outcome.

As for the bars I still stand by my comment before, the T.A.R.P. team passed all qualifications to race on that track. They did not hide anything from the inspectors, track officials or any other teams including the CRX. If in the future you see something that you think is questionable bring it to the judges attention, if it still qualifies under the rules of the race and you don't like the call then maybe you should go home. This is real racing and racing is not a safe sport by any means. We need to learn from incidents and try to adjust for future races.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

clearly the rules regarding reinforced bumpers need to be changed.  either everyone gets them or no one gets them.  you have here a situation where a light car with much steel in its' nose punted a car without equivalent protection.

this is a driver's error as the cause.  fair enough, shit happens.  but the equipment, a whole different discussion.

to what "racing" benefit is the removal of a CRX's front bumper?  to what "racing" benefit is the installation of a steel brush-bar to the front of a CRX in lieu of the factory bumper?

again, this rule needs to be changed.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Say, what ever happened to the Grill of Damocles?

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

There is one good part about the nose bars: they're vertical. The bumper height mismatch is considerable for some of these cars and some have big rear overhang....in the Pontihack Fiero last year I had the distinct feeling that if I rear ended cars like the Size Matters Fury I might end up with the diff in my face...For "pointy" cars. maybe it's just as well that they're a little flat faced. Just my 2c. On the other hand, that threat, plus the strange and threatening "Burning Man" penalty kept me out of the box....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

rushman wrote:

I would love to see black flags for slamming on your brakes during yellow.  That has got to be the cause of the most contact in Lemons races.  I wish during the morning drivers meetings 50% of the time was spent drilling it in to people's heads that a yellow means caution, not impending doom!

Also, some flaggers are better about this then others, but the slide by and wave by (aka driver slows drastically under yellow, the car behind passes to avoid jamming on brakes, then gives the spot back) needs to be freely allowed.   People are so afraid of the dreaded passing under yellow penalty that they put others in far more danger trying to avoid it then just slowing gracefully and falling back in line.

I've done 4 events so far, and this is by far the point that gets me the most pissed off.  People's days are ruined, or worse someone get get seriously injured, and I truly believe the only reason it happens is the avoidance of the very penalties that are designed to keep us safe.

Best-Post-Ever

-Martin
Team SHOtime

74 (edited by indysupra 2010-10-27 03:51 AM)

RRRR wrote:
rushman wrote:

Best-Post-Ever

X2. Im glad Matt(ceipherz) got on here and cleared some things up too. If t.a.r.p. had brought up money I would have asked what they had in mind and then just asked them to write me a check for that amount seeing that the car was not fixable and Jay did not really want it back out on the track due to the severe damage.

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

rushman wrote:

Actually Jay did make sure to bring it up and actually made sure to raise his voice while saying a yellow flag does not mean to stop.

But as it normally seems to happen people dont pay attentionn.  At one race I noticed someone fueling their car while it was running.  There response was that Jay didnt mention it in the drivers meeting.

So if your a new driver.  Ask questions.  If you brought a new driver reinforce the point of paying attention at the meeting.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.