Re: NJMP - Thunderbolt or Lightning?

+1 on what Rob said about the nanny state.  I've seen a state trooper almost shut down an autocross (on private property, mind you) until they produced their permit paperwork.  They're just going to LOVE Lemons.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

jimeditorial wrote:

Lemme get this straight....you can go to the gas station with a gun on your hip, but you can't pump your own gas? This seems strange...

No, you can't walk around with a gun on your hip in NJ.  Also to those that carry protection in your cars - don't.  There are draconian laws in NJ that limit ownership, use, types of firearms, types of ammo (no hollowpoints), etc.  In other words - I can't move to NJ without selling some of my rifles because they are not even permitted in the state - they are actually banned from entering.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

At most of the races down at NJMP, with the other group I belong to, I recall most of the time the state troopers were absent from the area.  If you were there early on, things most likely have relaxed a bit. I understand that they started out fairly zealously, but have backed off. At the last event where I was properly working (grid and start), I don't think I saw any police on the NJMP property.

Note: last time I was there (spectator/vendor), the head trooper in the motorsports department there for the first RallyCar rallycross. He seemed more interested in watching the races then looking at the traffic in the paddock.

If you want I can ask about what might be expected next week when we have one of our meetings.

Jim - 3 Pedal Mafia
Dustbuster AWD Civic WagoVan
SeaSprite/S10 a.k.a. "The Boat"

Think I'll pass on a 1,000 mile drive and having to ask Deputy Fife if I can use the restroom!  And they will tax everything you do!!

Don't worry about things you have no control over!

Captain Morgan's Rumrunners
Central Indiana

At the DE's I've been to, the state cops were ticketing for seatbelts (or lack of use) and speeding uin the paddock area. 

Douchebags!!!

I had forgotten about all of that stupidity.  Now that Christy (gov) is in office, maybe the "protect us from ourselves" mentality will go away....not!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

soldmystang wrote:
RobL wrote:
soldmystang wrote:

johnny-law at the race track?  why?

is it true you can't pump your own gas in NJ?  what happens during pit stops?  the Texaco Star Singers jump out of the bushes?

jonny-law at the racetrack!  Because it's one of the biggest nanny states in the union. 

You can not pump your own gas in NJ.  Plan accordingly.

so do i tip Guido for filling my tank?  and will that skanky broad Slurry check my oil?

Guido will not be filling your tank; Achmed will

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

32 (edited by Jer 2010-10-28 04:34 AM)

It  won't be as bad as it sounds, but I don't honestly know if they will harass us about a myriad of things, including fueling.  I find it amusing that I can fill up my diesel-burning truck but am not considered capable of filling up my gas-burning car.

One good thing-gas taxes are extremely low, so full service is still 25 cents/gallon cheaper than in Pennsylvania.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Buzz Killington wrote:

what worries me is the section that deals with "enduro racing," which would seem to apply to what we're doing by the definitions given in the beginning.  some weird rules in there, including minimum 104-in wheelbase and (uh-oh) no exterior decorations.

Are you trying to incite a riot..you didn't read the definitions of the terms at the beginning, did you (I want my retainer back).

NEW JERSEY MOTOR VEHICLE RACETRACK REGULATIONS CHAPTER 62 wrote:

“Enduro event” means an oval race in which the winner is
determined by the leading car at the expiration of a determined
time or number of laps.

NJMP has been hosting Grand Am, ARCA, SCCA, NASA, PCA, RA and other sanctioned races for several years now...I doubt there will not be any major drama or need for teams/drivers to do anything extraordinary for an event here (except keeping your eyes peeled for the Jersey Devil and Snookie & Situation wannabes).

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

BTW I may be wrong here but the law is against PUMPING your own gas, however if you were to have gas in fuel cans I don't believe the law says anything about using them.  Therefore not a problem for us.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

oneday wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:

what worries me is the section that deals with "enduro racing," which would seem to apply to what we're doing by the definitions given in the beginning.  some weird rules in there, including minimum 104-in wheelbase and (uh-oh) no exterior decorations.

Are you trying to incite a riot..you didn't read the definitions of the terms at the beginning, did you (I want my retainer back).

NEW JERSEY MOTOR VEHICLE RACETRACK REGULATIONS CHAPTER 62 wrote:

“Enduro event” means an oval race in which the winner is
determined by the leading car at the expiration of a determined
time or number of laps.

NJMP has been hosting Grand Am, ARCA, SCCA, NASA, PCA, RA and other sanctioned races for several years now...I doubt there will not be any major drama or need for teams/drivers to do anything extraordinary for an event here (except keeping your eyes peeled for the Jersey Devil and Snookie & Situation wannabes).

the definition is exactly what concerned me (determining a winner based on the leader at a predetermined time), although i could not find a definition for "oval" race.  they defined "road race," but then didn't seem to use it in the regs.  so while you and i know this isn't an "oval" race, i don't know that the NJSP make that distinction.  thus my concern.  *shrug*

that said, i think this thread is a whole lotta something about nothing.  we won't be using fuel pumps, and i believe that if NJMP could not host a Lemons event, they would not be on the schedule.  but carry on w/ NJ bashing b/c it definitely is easy.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

but carry on w/ NJ bashing b/c it definitely is easy.

Newark smells funny.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Buzz Killington wrote:

the definition is exactly what concerned me (determining a winner based on the leader at a predetermined time), although i could not find a definition for "oval" race.  they defined "road race," but then didn't seem to use it in the regs.  so while you and i know this isn't an "oval" race, i don't know that the NJSP make that distinction.  thus my concern.  *shrug*

Based on their definition that a "road race" is an event on a "road course" and a "road course" is defined as a "race track which incorporates a series of both left- and right-hand turns with or without banking and may also contain changes in elevation," it could easily be argued that it is implied that an "oval" would have turns in one direction only (so even a Stafford-like kidney course would be defined as a road course under the NJSP definition).

Buzz Killington wrote:

NJ's governor is a tool-less tool bag.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

Toll roads suck and New Jersey is chock full of them.   

But I can't wait to race at NJMP!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

39 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-10-28 12:16 PM)

RobL wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:

Newark smells funny.

yeah it does.  they could just lop off everything north of I-195 and give it to NY.  it would improve NJ immensely.

<-- South Jersey boy.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Perth Amboy smells Gawd-awful.  my Grand-Parents lived in Belford in the '50's- '70's.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

41 (edited by eljefe17 2010-10-29 11:56 AM)

Buzz Killington wrote:
RobL wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:

Newark smells funny.

yeah it does.  they could just lop off everything north of I-195 and give it to NY.  it would improve NJ immensely.

<-- South Jersey boy.

ny has no love for jersey either. maybe we can drag it out to sea and scuttle it although i doubt you could get an epa permit for that

TheWake wrote:

At most of the races down at NJMP, with the other group I belong to, I recall most of the time the state troopers were absent from the area.  If you were there early on, things most likely have relaxed a bit. I understand that they started out fairly zealously, but have backed off. At the last event where I was properly working (grid and start), I don't think I saw any police on the NJMP property.

Note: last time I was there (spectator/vendor), the head trooper in the motorsports department there for the first RallyCar rallycross. He seemed more interested in watching the races then looking at the traffic in the paddock.

If you want I can ask about what might be expected next week when we have one of our meetings.

The event I was thinking of was a NNJR event at Englishtown.  Honestly, I've done a lot of racing in NJ and that was the only one where there was a problem.  The thing the trooper was pointing out was that the convertibles didn't have roll bars.  There is an exception for that requirement in autocross, but the organizers still had to prove that they had applied for and gotten the exception.

I don't really forsee any problems, but...

Camden is a total craphole.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

43 (edited by decafe 2010-10-30 03:54 AM)

we have run  our  Lemons  car  @  njmp  diguised  as  a  road  modified  and  we  had   no problems  at   all . the only thing  that  came  up  was   one  official  stopped  us  for  not   having  arm  restraints but after showing him  with  a   harness  in our race seat  there was  no way   your  hand  could move  out of the car he let us go . the state  troopers  also  check  for  drive shaft loops some  are   good people some  are  storm troopers  just  like  cops  anywhere .I  think  it  will be  great  . the  people  at  njmp    are  gonna love us !!!     also camden is  a beatifull  city    down  by the river  and  would  suggest it  to  anyone looking   for  a room .  or  crack  or  a  hoooker or  a gun.....

DaveH wrote:

The event I was thinking of was a NNJR event at Englishtown.  Honestly, I've done a lot of racing in NJ and that was the only one where there was a problem.  The thing the trooper was pointing out was that the convertibles didn't have roll bars.  There is an exception for that requirement in autocross, but the organizers still had to prove that they had applied for and gotten the exception.

I don't really forsee any problems, but...

Camden is a total craphole.

I have not heard of the state troopers show up for any of the SJR sutocrosses, local municipal cops to see what was happening, especially when using a new lot. They never had any trouble though.

Jim - 3 Pedal Mafia

I was there too, it happened at Englishtown last year.  I had to remind the organizers that they applied for and got exceptions for some of the rules and that they should have a letter from the state police to that effect.   And even after confronted with the letter, the officer was still on about following the rules in a very vigorous way.

Was it an autocross, or race/track day? I'd think an autocross at Englishtown would be common enough that the police should be familiar with the events. Unless you were autocrossing on the track (rare but I've heard of it), then it could get kinda fuzzy from a regulation viewpoint.

Again, at the events I have been to at NJMP police intervention has been minimal. I will ask the people who are more involved at the organization end of things what is typical, since they should have heard all about every incident.

Jim - 3 Pedal Mafia

TheWake wrote:

Was it an autocross, or race/track day? I'd think an autocross at Englishtown would be common enough that the police should be familiar with the events.

Autocross.  Which is exactly why it was so surprising.  Who are you going to ask - Perry, Ernie, Tony?  They were all at the event.

RobL wrote:
TheWake wrote:

Was it an autocross, or race/track day? I'd think an autocross at Englishtown would be common enough that the police should be familiar with the events.

Autocross.  Which is exactly why it was so surprising.  Who are you going to ask - Perry, Ernie, Tony?  They were all at the event.

Atcuall I was going ot talk to the SJR guys, Jim T, JD, Brian they are all deeply involved in the SJR and JRB races at NJMP. I'll see them at the SJR meeting Wed. night, (or next Wed. at the latest at the membership meeting).

Jim - 3 Pedal Mafia